Dismiss Notice

PSX-Place.com Announcement:

New Smiley's Added to post editor !!!

[Research] PS2 Game Status on (PS4's - PS2 EMU)

Discussion in 'PS2 on PS4' started by Grim Doe, Feb 4, 2018.

1. 6,679
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/User_talk:Kozarovv#Sound_-_SPU2_behavior
    Still unknown usage :(
    Btw.. Maybe you want to try fix ACE COMBAT 0 using pcsx2 patches? ;) *sabin1981 triggered* :D

Yes it is!

sabin1981 likes this.
  2. 122
    sabin1981

sabin1981 Member

Haha! Believe me, I've tried... man... that game was brutal. I can't understand why your EE patches didn't work :( Bah.

Oh and;

NICE. so there is something in the official PS2 Classics releases for DC1/DC2? I'd love to get my hands on those templates.

3. 122
    sabin1981

sabin1981 Member

Hahaha, how about that!? I decided to give AC Zero one more try, I hated that it beat me, so I tried again - this time finding the correct offsets with PS2dis, and it worked! \o/ That, combined with the mipmapping fix, means there's no ground texture issues *and* you can shoot down enemy planes ^_^

Adding it to the wiki now.

All 3 games still suffer from the strange square/box'y shader effect in the sky, but egh, it's nothing too terrible.

kozarovv likes this.
  4. 6,679
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I used disc patch from ps3 instead of pcsx2 cheat. Plus fact, that i did it without having game. So i wasn't able to confirm that my patches are good. ;)
    Different upscaler won't help?

sabin1981 likes this.
  5. 122
    sabin1981

sabin1981 Member

Ah! Oh well, thankfully the opcode patches worked just fine - so thank you again for teaching me how to do that :) As for upscaling, I'm honestly not sure - I could try "point" I guess, but there's only 3 right? EdgeSmooth, Point, and none? And with Uprender there's just 2x2 and None?

(also, is there a reason why all my posts are held for moderation now? Am I posting too much? :D)

6. 6,679
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Should be also motionvec, and gpu. There are also CL kernels like up2x2skipinterip, etc. that can help.

Nice work anyway :)
    Some new spam restrictions, but i'm not really sure why it happen also to you. FYI @STLcardsWS .

sabin1981 likes this.
  7. 7,225
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Bear with me guys. Busy with work and have to implement a few things. So post maybe moderated at times. Only temporary..

sabin1981 likes this.
  8. 122
    sabin1981

sabin1981 Member

Okay, thanks guys! I'll check out some other upscalers and see what I can dig up :) I still wish I knew what PCSX2's "DMA Busy Hack" could be translated to for PS2emu. Right now Metal Saga is my Moby Dick :D

~edit~

Oh! I keep meaning to ask but kept forgetting, does anyone have any clues on enabling rumble? I haven't had a single game with functional rumble yet. Does the PS2emu support that?

~edit~

"gs-uprender=none" fixes the broken skies in AC titles, but then you're left with PS2 resolution running on a 1080p screen. NOT pretty, haha. Shame.

Clear skies and uglier visuals, or pretty visuals and blocky skies. Decisions, decisions.

~edit~

Gorramit.

Code:
    --gs-kernel-cl-up="up2x2skipinterp"
    Actually works at cleaning up the sky/clouds/etc, whilst maintaining 2x2 uprender... however... it seems you can only have one kernel level at a time, as it overwrites "--gs-kernel-cl-up="mipmap2x2"" and brings back the ground texture issue.

Well fiddle my diddle.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    sandungas likes this.
  9. 6,679
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Turning off DMA hack make Metal Saga to have same issue like on PS4?

10. 122
    sabin1981

sabin1981 Member

No, turning ON the DMA hack.. at least, according to PCSX2. PCSX2 has a DMA Hack which is "deny writing to DMAC when busy" and that is what fixes the freezing during combat/etc.

Also, I've come across another issue.. one I didn't notice in earlier testing. Ace Combat 5 actually has a fairly substantial glitch that could render the game either unplayable, or otherwise downright miserable to play; no saving/loading :( I've tried 2 different emulator templates now, the initial Rogue Galaxy, and the Jak & Daxter one. Each one has the same issue, when you try to save a game it says "the memory card data might be corrupted" and won't let you save.

I'm at a loss :\ There's another COP2 shuffle EE patch in the PCSX2 database, which I've already translated and applied, but no go, still won't save.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 10:15 AM
  11. 6,679
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    DMAC is communicating devices like VIF , SIF , GIF , and IPU. So, we need to search for workaround in those places. If music loops, IPU probably can be excluded (flipfield is done), VIF as you know this game is sensitive to VIF stuff. Can be good point to start. GIF, same as IPU (still not 100% sure). SIF, bad timing on SIF can cause issue like this.

--ee-sif0-cycle-scalar
    --ee-sif1-cycle-scalar
    --iop-sif0-cycle-scalar
    --iop-sif1-cycle-scalar
    Can do the job. Correct values are 0.1 to 2.0. Sadly this require a lot testing.

Edit: To understand better DMAC:

https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-blog-PS2-s-Programmable-DMA
    https://web.archive.org/web/20150909081548/http://ps2-edu.tensioncore.com/articles/dmac.html

So also messing with --idec-cycles-per-qwc= can be important here. Not easy thing to fix, but doable.

sandungas and sabin1981 like this.
  12. 122
    sabin1981

sabin1981 Member

Actually, the music carries on only with the SatCom freeze. The screen goes black but the music will keep playing, but with the combat freeze everything stops, including the music. The emulator doesn't "freeze" though, not like other crashed functions you sometimes get on PS2emu, you can press the PS button to drop back to XMB no problem.

VIF is what I had to play with to get the SatCom menus working, so definitely worth looking at that there. After a lot of trial and error I managed to narrow it down to;

Code:
    --vif1-ignore-cmd-ints=1
    To completely fix the "menu freezing" issue, though sadly that didn't do anything about the battle freeze.

I guess I can run those commands and try some variations though... as you said... with values going from 0.1 to 2.0, and with 4 different commands, this could take a DAMNED long time :( Funny thing is, I removed the GameIndex.dbf from PCSX2, to prevent the emulator loading the game fixes (even unticking "Automatic gamefixes" doesn't stop it, thus the removal) to check the log and hopefully see where the stall is happening --- but there's the thing; Metal Saga *still* runs perfectly there. No freezes in SatCom or battle. I'm guessing whatever issue the game had has long since been fixed at the base level in the emulator, no hacks needed.

Also, I tried the memory card issue in AC5 is present in both PAL and NTSC, and the game also has an "unbeatable enemy" glitch like AC0, which is what the COP2 shuffle is for.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 12:48 PM
    sandungas likes this.
  13. 122
    sabin1981

sabin1981 Member

Updated my post with some more results, it seems even the music freezes at the start of combat. It doesn't free during the SatCom menu issue though, but that's already rectified by the vif1-ignore-cmd-ints command.

~edit~

Code:
    --ee-sif0-cycle-scalar=0.1
    --ee-sif1-cycle-scalar=0.1
    --iop-sif0-cycle-scalar=0.1
    --iop-sif1-cycle-scalar=0.1

The game still freezes when combat starts, but now the music continues playing.

Code:
    --ee-sif0-cycle-scalar=2
    --ee-sif1-cycle-scalar=2
    --iop-sif0-cycle-scalar=2
    --iop-sif1-cycle-scalar=2

Game freezes when combat starts, but now the music stops also.

Am I really going to test 20 different stages for each command, meaning 20 different patches? Or 80 patches individually????? Yes. Yes I am.

~edit~

My results after 20 patches, these patches all have the four commands; ee-sif0, ee-sif1, iop-sif0, iop-sif1 and with incremental values;

Not really sure what I learned from this.. but meh. It's something. Now I'm hungry and off to eat pasta xD

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 2:23 PM
    Stayhye likes this.
  14. 11
    ahappylife201x

ahappylife201x Forum Noob

Any tried Street Fighter EX3 ? Can't find a solution to fix missing floor issue.

15. 6,679
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    You can't fix it by commands in cli.

16. 122
    sabin1981

sabin1981 Member

Unless someone is a dabhand at reversing and LUA scripting, I doubt we're going to be able to fix it any time soon. Shame too as, like Kozarovv discovered, the same fix also applies to R:Racing Evolution.

17. 122
    sabin1981

sabin1981 Member

Atelier Iris 1 Eternal Mana
    Atelier Iris 2 The Azoth of Destiny
    Atelier Iris 3 Grand Phantasm

Dawn of Mana
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

Mortal Kombat: Armageddon***
    Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance***
    Mortal Kombat: Deception
    Namco x Capcom [EngTrans]

Radiata Stories
    Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
    Rule of Rose
    Rygar The Legendary Adventurer
    Soul Nomad
    Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution

Dawn of Mana has *massive* graphical corruption, missing polygon pieces all over the place, along with lots of light source overbloom.

Marvel UA 1+2 both freeze after the PS2 logo. PCSX2 has a hack ("disable MTVU (Multi-Threaded microVU1)") purely for these games, though I don't know how to apply that to PS2emu.

Radiata Stories has some minor visual issues, the screen is blurry in places, like a bad depth of field effect, but most critical is significant graphical slowdown and audio stutter in some scenes. Using the TriAce Hack.

Rule of Rose prerendered FMVs have audio stutter/crackling, the rest of the game seems completely fine though.

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance.. this one is odd. The very first time I loaded it up it asked me to create a profile, like all the PS2 MK titles do, but as soon as I did and tried to save; the whole emulator froze. Completely locked up. I closed, reopened, skipped the profile creation, *then* created one after I got to the main menu. Worked fine after that. Unsure if it was just a glitch or what, but it seems fine now.

Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. The "Motor Kombat" racing minigame has some aggressive slowdown if there's too many karts onscreen at once, not really a problem as long as you're in the top 5 though, heh, the rest of the game is fine.

I still haven't figured out how to enable rumble/vibration in PS2 Classics titles, if it's even possible at all.

kozarovv likes this.
  18. 6,679
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    If you ever find way, you will also fix full Tony Hawk series above part 3..

sabin1981 likes this.
  19. 122
    sabin1981

sabin1981 Member

I wish I even knew where to begin, I've checked the VU/VU1 commands in the OP of the emulator configuration thread, nothing seems relevant. Do we have a list of *ALL* known commands, please? You've given me quite a few in tests that aren't in the OP of the emu config thread.

20. 6,679
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I don't have all commands listed. :( I'm documenting them here, or at http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/PS2_Emulation

But there are still many undocumented yet. Sadly i don't listed them anywhere (even not on my pc yet). Try check emus in hex editor, searching for vm string.

sabin1981 likes this.
Tags: