Dismiss Notice

PSX-Place.com Announcement:

New Smiley's Added to post editor !!!

PS3 RetroArch v1.7.1 - Cheevos (Achievement) Support Added for PS3

Discussion in 'RetroArch' started by STLcardsWS, Feb 22, 2018.

1. 2
    Philip83

Philip83 Forum Noob

Hey guys,

I spent all Sunday trying to find a working version of Retroarch, with no luck. I have a 2xxx slim and I've successfully jailbroken it with CFW FERROX 4.82 1.0.1. I've tried like 5 different versions of Retroarch (1.0, 1.6.0, 1.6.7, 1.6.8, 1.7, 1.7.1). They all install but they all crash either on launch (black screen, then comes back to XMB without error msg) or shortly after getting into the menus.

I've been googling 'til my eyes bleed to try and get this to work, but nothing has helped me out so far.

Subsequent problem: The few times that I actually got the app to start, the controller mapping is totally wrong and I cannot navigate them menus, hence I cannot re-mapp the controller (catch 22, yey). I've tried with a Bluetooth USB keyboard too, but that doesn't give any input at all in Retroarch.

Could this have to do with a bad/incompatible CFW build? I'm an absolute noob when it comes to PS jailbrake stuff (literately started looking into it yesterday), so any pointers/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. 57
    Underball

Underball Member

Yeah, That's been confirmed on the Libretro forums, the Ferrox 4.82 CFWs are incompatible with all versions of RetroArch except 1.0.0.2, which is ancient.

3. 133
    Ali888

Ali888 Member

Take it easy bro...

English Language isn't the main-primary Langu for many of us here (just like me), so it isn't a RARE case to see someone has mistake in Grammar or Struggle to write text. :)

ZeroOne and Twiztid like this.
  4. 133
    Ali888

Ali888 Member

For a better gaming experience, always use Rebug FW on CFW.

And make sure you enable the "Cobra functions" with Rebug toolbox.

5. 65
    antonioks

antonioks Member

Home Page:
    This information does not proceed, I use the Ferrox 4.82 v1.0.1 and I use the RetroArch 1.6.7- Fixed PS3 Nightly 09/03/17 modified by the friend @Ezio perfectly.

Ezio likes this.
  6. 57
    Underball

Underball Member

It's not compatible with any of the "official" releases. Special re-packs are nice, and it's great that you have it working.

antonioks likes this.
  7. 65
    antonioks

antonioks Member

Home Page:
    The official Nightly insisted on keeping the ps3 crash bug when it loaded the ProSystem core, it did not have the mame 2003 core (this one was perfectly modified by Ezio, as well as the FBA Alpha core, rather than the FBA Alpha 2012 official version that contained many bugs), for this reason I ended up opting to leave version 1.6.7 modified by friend Ezio, than to put the 1.7.1 official but with these bugs, one thing I do not understand and I have asked several times for the friend libretro is to replace the SNES9X GX 2010 core for the SNES9X GX core that supports the MSU-1 chip.

Ezio likes this.
  8. 57
    Underball

Underball Member

Yeah - whatever is different between Ezio's compile environment and the Buildbot compilier for PS3 needs to be rectified. Ezio's compiles were perfect, but we all understand everyone has real life and time constraints.

Though - I do have the 02/25 nightly for Prosystem 1.7.1 in my cores folder and it's not crashing for me - but I'm still on Habib Starbucks 4.81.

Ezio and antonioks like this.
  9. 65
    antonioks

antonioks Member

Home Page:
    I've been keeping Ferrox, I've got the PS3 unlocked since February 2017 and I've never had a problem with it.

10. 136
    Ezio

Ezio Developer

What ps3 community needs is an official mantainer for retroarch. It's basically what i tried to do for a while. Unfortunately I have been hardly busy at work and in the real life so i haven't had time to stay behind official development of the homebrew. Retroarch, just like any homebrews, can run on any cfws, ferrow cfw included. It only needs some changes, probably in the signature of the executable like i already did in past (1.6.7).
    Lastly I didn't understand because my development environment gets broken so often and then I must lose several hours only to fix it. It's extremy annoying.
    Anyway I don't like to give up, but the available time is always less year after year.
    Guys, try last release if possible, it's what i'll do to understand what works on ps3 port and what not. I'm very disappointed I didn't make available a nice project related to retroarch for ps3 community where my friend @Zar worked a lot, simply because I didn't have had more free time to employ in the project.
    I hope only my environment comes back soon to work so I can try to do something for the project. I cannot promise anything, the time is tyrant, but let me see if something can be done anyway.

11. 57
    Underball

Underball Member

I've had mine unlocked since January 2011. Kmeaw. The first real CFW - 3.55.

12. 133
    Ali888

Ali888 Member

I try Retroarch official 1.7.1 and it's completely trash!!

Some of the best cores are missing from this build; like:

-MAME 2000
    -MAME 2003
    -FB Alpha (v0.2.97.42) [not FB Alpha 2012]
    -PrBoom
    -mGBA
    -TurboGrafx 16 /CD / SuperGrax
    -Vectrex (vecx)
    -ZX81 (EightyOne)
    -Atari Lynx Beetle
    -O2EM

And another cores that i can't remember.

Another thing with latest Retroarch build is there is so many cores that won't updated and randomly crashes. For example, "Mattel-Intellvision" is one of the most unstable cores and when i try to load this it just returned me to XMB.

I Think just you can fix this issues and make Retroarch for PS3 great again mr @Ezio

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  13. 133
    Ali888

Ali888 Member

Also in v1.7.1 of Retroarch, we can't update or download cores due to Libretro site is completely removed ANYTHING related to PS3 Version from his host

Underball likes this.
  14. 2
    Philip83

Philip83 Forum Noob

Many thanks for all your replies guys!

I think this actually was one of the version I tried, but without luck as well. However might be worth another try. Would you be able to supply me with a link?

Also, if I choose to "update" to let's say a Rebug CFW, can I overwrite my Ferrox CFW, or how do I do it easiest?

15. 2
    grandixximo

grandixximo Forum Noob

Thank you for finding the time Ezio, still using your release here, too many cores missing from the new stable release from retroarch official, i hope you can find the time to make it work!

STLcardsWS likes this.
  16. 133
    Ali888

Ali888 Member

Absolutely my friend.

I hope he find the time to fix the Retroarch problems (or maybe add new cores).

17. 133
    Ali888

Ali888 Member

Yeah, for sure. You can just install latest Rebug (which is 4.82 Lite) frimware onto your correct FW (which is Ferrox).

Just Remember to also download the plugin called "Rebug Toolbox" and Enable "Toggl Cobra" for a better experience with this FW.

18. 7,224
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

19. 133
    Ali888

Ali888 Member

No sign of new Retroarch PS3 build with missing cores yet ?

20. 136
    Ezio

Ezio Developer

Good news, guys. I fixed my development environment once again and then i compiled a new 1.7.1 version with extra-cores coming from an old project with the friend @Zar. Anyway I'm testing it right now, it includes some experimental cores (also not working :P) for development purposes. Should i share them too?
    I just found genesis core not working (black screen). It complains about missing bios, I don't rememeber if it required bios. Can anyone with my latest release (1.6.7) to check if genesis works fine there and if it requires bios (you can check it going on 'info', then 'core info' and read if there's a message about missing bios). Let me know. ;)
    I could share the build as it's now, but i'm not sure if it's a good idea, it's pretty stable except for the cores give blackscreen/freeze. Should maybe i remove them before releasing stuff?