PS3 Skyrim: Elite Edition Modding Guide

Discussion in 'Skyrim' started by clayson, Sep 24, 2017.

By clayson on Sep 24, 2017 at 4:38 PM
  1. 22
    clayson

clayson 5yk3 Member

Welcome Skyrim modders! This thread is a Skyrim Elite Edition modding guide where I share my research, tutorials, and other useful things. Since Elite Electronics is now done it's up to us (the users) to continue a beautiful project. If you are someone who messes around with Fallout/TES games a lot on PS3 then contact me as I am starting a research group of my own (called 5yk3). Right now there are no video guides, but I will get to making those soon. These are my methods and they work for me, so if you know a better way please inform me so I can check it out. Thanks and have a fun time modding. :-p

Skyrim: Elite Edition Modding Guide
    SKYRIM-EE-MOD-GUIDE-MAINLOGO.PNG
    Skyrim Landscape Art By tnounsy.

• ESSENTIALS-LOGO.PNG
      Before we start there are some things we need, some things you should already have, and some terms/definitions you should know.

Required For Everything

• Jailbroken PS3
      • Skyrim Legendary Edition (BLUS31202)
      • Skyrim Elite Edition CORE v2.1 Installed
      • All DLC Installed (Dragonborn, Hearthfire, and Dawnguard

.ESP (Elder Scrolls Plugin) - A plugin file used by modders for mods. Can be edited using Creation Kit. .ESP files are invisible in Skyrim, but still loaded in-game.

.ESM (Elder Scrolls Master File) - A master file used by Bethesda required to run the game, these are loaded before any .ESP in-game. In Elite Edition mods require SKYRIM.ESM and ELITE_ELECTRONICS.ESM to run properly. .ESM files are visible in Skyrim as long as it is given a name.

.BSA (Bethesda Softworks Archive) - A file that contains archived and packed textures, meshes, sounds, etc. This file requires a ESP/ESM to be associated with it in order for it to work. For example to load "MOD.BSA" you would need the corresponding "MOD.ESP/ESM". .BSA files are invisible in Skyrim, but still loaded in-game as long as corresponding .ESP/.ESM exists.

.DDS (DirectDraw Surface) - File format that contains textures uncompressed/compressed that loads in game. By default Skyrim doesn't use this (it uses DDX), but it CAN be loaded. This is not a recommended format for Skyrim as it can cause memory leaks over time. Unfortunately there is no fully functional DDS to DDX converter (see "Tools" tab) so all mods are in DDS. DDS files are packed inside BSA files.

.DDX - File format that contains what seems to be two compressed DDS files (one being low quality, the other higher quality). DDX format vary from game to game, so any extractor/compressor made properly for Skyrim most likely wouldn't work on other games. There is a functional tool for converting DDX to DDS format (see "Tools" tab). DDX files are packed inside BSA files.

• PACKING-TEXTURES-MESHES-ETC-INTO-BSA-LOGO.PNG
      Some mods come with a .ESP/.ESM, but no .BSA. Instead they come with loose files, loose files do not work easily with Skyrim on the PS3. Instead packing it makes it easier for you and anyone else who downloads the mod. Following this you can pack loose files into a .BSA that will run on your PS3. For this example I will use the mod UNP Elusive Amethyst Armor and Weapons.

Required

Step 1: Create a folder named DATA (all caps) on your desktop (or anywhere you please, I recommend desktop for ease of access.
      PACKING-TEXTURES-MESHES-ETC-INTO-BSA-LOGO-STEP-1.PNG

Step 2: Drag and drop the files textures, meshes, sounds, whatever loose files you might have into the DATA folder we created.
      PACKING-TEXTURES-MESHES-ETC-INTO-BSA-LOGO-STEP-2.PNG

Step 3: Open Archive.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim).
      PACKING-TEXTURES-MESHES-ETC-INTO-BSA-LOGO-STEP-3.PNG

Step 4: When the Archive.exe window opens at the very top click "Edit" then click "Add Directory".
      PACKING-TEXTURES-MESHES-ETC-INTO-BSA-LOGO-STEP-4.PNG

Step 5:
      When a window pops up asking you to "Select Directory to Add" go to your desktop and click the "DATA" folder we made which has our textures/meshes/etc. Then click "OK".
      PACKING-TEXTURES-MESHES-ETC-INTO-BSA-LOGO-STEP-5.PNG

Now that you selected the directory you will see items listed in a box. Depending on the mod there could be more items. It should look similar to this...
      PACKING-TEXTURES-MESHES-ETC-INTO-BSA-LOGO-STEP-6.PNG

Step 6: At the top there will be a group box titled "Archive Stats".
      PACKING-TEXTURES-MESHES-ETC-INTO-BSA-LOGO-STEP-62.PNG

If the DATA folder we created has textures in it check the "Textures" checkbox, if it has meshes check the "Meshes" checkbox, etc. In my case I have just textures and meshes so I will select those two. If you have more but you don't know which ones to check then check them all it's your best bet.
      PACKING-TEXTURES-MESHES-ETC-INTO-BSA-LOGO-STEP-63.PNG

Step 7: On the right side of that you should see more options.
      PACKING-TEXTURES-MESHES-ETC-INTO-BSA-LOGO-STEP-7.png

Select the first three, "Compress Archive", "Retain Directory Names", and "Retain File Names".
      PACKING-TEXTURES-MESHES-ETC-INTO-BSA-LOGO-STEP-72.png

Step 8: At the very top click "File" then "Save As".
      PACKING-TEXTURES-MESHES-ETC-INTO-BSA-LOGO-STEP-8.PNG

Step 9: When the "Save As" window pops up go to wherever you want to save your BSA (desktop, in my case) and name the file and extension in all caps the same as your ESP/ESM file, then save. For example my .ESP file is named "ELUSIVE.ESP" so I save the .BSA as "ELUSIVE.BSA".
      PACKING-TEXTURES-MESHES-ETC-INTO-BSA-LOGO-STEP-82.PNG

Now after completing these steps you have turned your loose texture/mesh/etc files into a packed .BSA which should work alongside your .ESP/.ESM file. Make sure the .BSA is the EXACT same name as the .ESP/.ESM it's associated with and that the extension is also all caps.
      PACKING-TEXTURES-MESHES-ETC-INTO-BSA-LOGO-STEP-DONE.PNG

• UNPACKING-BSA-ARCHIVE-LOGO.PNG
      Following this you can unpack almost any .BSA for your reasons. For this example I will use the .BSA in UNP Elusive Amethyst Armor and Weapons.

Required

Step 1: Install BSA Browser (or use the portable version), then open BSA Browser.

Step 2: When the BSA Browser window opens near the bottom left click the "Open" button.
      UNPACKING-BSA-ARCHIVES-STEP-2.PNG

Step 3: When the "Select archive to open" window pops up locate the .BSA you want to unpack, select it, and press "Open".
      UNPACKING-BSA-ARCHIVES-STEP-3.PNG

You should now see the content of the .BSA inside the window.
      UNPACKING-BSA-ARCHIVES-STEP-4.PNG

Step 4: Now that you opened your .BSA archive, click "Extract all".
      UNPACKING-BSA-ARCHIVES-STEP-5.PNG

Step 5: When the "Select Folder" window pops up choose an empty folder with no other files in it and press "Select Folder".
      UNPACKING-BSA-ARCHIVES-STEP-6.PNG

Now after completing these steps the folder you selected will have the files from the .BSA you unpacked inside of it. Now you can modify it and then pack it again using the method in the "Packing Textures/Meshes/Etc Into .BSA".
      UNPACKING-BSA-ARCHIVES-STEP-7.PNG

• INSTALLING-CUSTOM-MODS-LOGO.png
      One of the best features in Elite Edition is installing your own mods (not provided in the mod pack) from nexus or some other site. While it's true without Elite Edition you can install your own mods, with Elite Edition it makes the process %100 easier and it won't interfere with DLC. For this example I will use UNP Elusive Amethyst Armor and Weapons. This is a FTP method, if you use a USB and Multiman the process would be the same except instead of transferring files you copy them to that location.

Step 1: Get your .BSA and .ESP/.ESM prepared. I have mine all ready. Make sure the .BSA and .ESP/.ESM has the same name all caps including the extension.
      PACKING-TEXTURES-MESHES-ETC-INTO-BSA-LOGO-STEP-DONE.PNG

IF YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW TO USE FTP ON PS3 SKIP STEPS 2 AND 3!
      Step 2: Open the FTP application of your choice, for me that is FileZilla. I personally recommend this.

Step 3: At the top write your PS3's IP in the "Host:" textbox, then click "Quickconnect". If you don't know how to use FTP on PS3 install Rebug Toolbox Full. Scroll down and you will see the download. Install it to your PS3, launch it, then in the "System" category scroll up to "System Information", click it, and then connect to that IP. You need Rebug Toolbox open while you FTP if you close it the FTP ends.
      INSTALLING-CUSTOM-MODS-STEP-3.png

It should now list files on your PS3. Don't worry if the "Username:" textbox says "anonymous" it's fine just ignore it.
      INSTALLING-CUSTOM-MODS-STEP-4.png

Step 4: Go to "/dev_hdd0/game/BLUS31202/USRDIR/NPDRM", check if there is a folder that says "MODS", if there is then open it, if there isn't then create the folder. Inside "MODS" should be "DATA", if that doesn't exist also then create it. Now go inside the "DATA" folder.
      INSTALLING-CUSTOM-MODS-STEP-5.png

Step 5: Drag and drop the mod files into that folder. So in my case ELUSIVE.BSA and ELUSIVE.ESP goes into that folder. (Sorry, the image got a bit messed up.)
      INSTALLING-CUSTOM-MODS-STEP-6.png

Now you're done! The mod should load and play properly in-game. Keep in mind not all mods work and you may experience texture problems it's common.

• CONVERTING-ESP-TO-ESM-LOGO.png
      Converting a .ESP to .ESM has many advantages especially on console. This can help you sort load order, always see what mods are installed, and it can make other mods run off of it.

Required

Step 1: Download TES4Gecko and then extract it somewhere, once extracted open "TES4Gecko.jar". This won't open if you don't have Java installed.

Step 2: Click the button "Convert to Master".
      CONVERTING-ESP-TO-ESM-STEP-2.PNG

Step 3: When "Select Plugin File" pops up go to wherever the .ESP you have is located, select it, and click "Open".
      CONVERTING-ESP-TO-ESM-STEP-3.PNG

Congrats! The .ESM should be in the same location as the .ESP you converted.
      Capture.PNG

• SORTING-LOAD-ORDER-LOGO.png
      Sorting load order is very important in Skyrim. It can help the game run faster, fix issues with mods, and more. Load order is complicated on the PS3, the load order is the way mods are listed on the "Mods" section in the main menu of Skyrim. So all the three DLC are first in the load order, then the Elite Electronics CORE comes next, and then your mods. If you installed a custom mod not in the mod pack it normally won't appear in "Mods". To make it appear you need to convert the .ESP to a .ESM. After doing so the mod will appear (not beautifully) on the "Mods" list.That way you can see the load order of custom mods as well.

At the moment doing more testing with load order.

COMING SOON!

• SKYRIM-ELITE-EDITION-OFW-LOGO.png
      I will need testers for this, people who can successfully use PS3XPORT on their OFW PS3. If you are willing to test please P.M me.

COMING SOON!

• TOOLS-LOGO.png
      A list of useful tools for Skyrim PS3 modding. Some tools are mentioned in other tabs, but this is a compilation of all tools and also some outdated tools you should steer clear from (because it's common for beginners to use outdated tools without knowing it.)

Skyrim Creation Kit
      DDX-DDS/DDS-DDX Conversion Tool
      BSA Browser (FOMM fork)
      FileZilla (FTP Client)
      TES4Gecko

• CREDITS-LOGO.png
      Bethesda - Creating this amazing game and the awesome Skyrim Creation Kit tool.

@joshchawks - Head founder of the original Skyrim Elite Edition CORE. Without him none of this would be possible. Provided lots of info that helped me.

@Death_Dealer - Co-founder of the original Skyrim Elite Edition CORE. Created the DDX conversion tools and other amazing stuff. Provided lots of info that helped me.

Q and Timeslip - Created the BSA Browser tool to unpack .BSA archives.

The Mighty NINE - Created the Elusive Amethyst Armor and Weapons mods I frequently use as an example in these tutorials.

Team Gecko - The awesome creator of TES4Gecko allowing .ESP/.ESM conversions and other options.

• CHANGELOG-LOGO.png
      9/25/17
      • Fixed up and polished some things.
      • Added Changelog tab.
      9/24/17
      • Initially Posted

THERE WILL BE MORE COMING SOON!
    If you want to contribute please P.M me about it, if you have questions feel free to ask. I am in NO WAY affiliated with Elite Electronics and neither is 5yk3.

NOTE: THIS IS A WORK-IN-PROGRESS. MORE THINGS ARE STILL BEING ADDED/EDITED! SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND UNDERSTANDING!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'Skyrim' started by clayson, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Death_Dealer
      Death_Dealer
      I have released my dds-ddx tool, it's about 95% complete. Where the ddx-dds tool is 100%. The only thing left in dds-ddx is a little bit of header handling. And finding the compression algo used. Now i know if your paying attention here your asking yourself "how do you have it one way but not the other?" 0_o. Well the answer is pretty simple, the module used in my script can decompress a wide variety of things. So if i can find the exact compression type that the module is using and either find or make a wrapper in python for it, then finally that bit of header handling and we will all have dds-ddx:) just thought I'd drop a bit of info on that here since ddx was mentioned.
      bitsbubba, clayson and STLcardsWS like this.
    2. clayson
      clayson
      Thanks for replying! :afro:
      Yes I did mention your tool a couple of times in the guide, in "Essentials", "Tools", and "Credits". I am also aware about your tools and it's limits. I will write a guide on using your tool for DDX-DDS conversion and vice versa. I will be clear to state coming from the author of the tool itself DDS-DDX conversion is not yet completed and will most likely not load in-game. I will also provide your quote so that users can understand why and maybe mess with the tool themselves. Only when I get the time to do that though, I have a lot of things to do so I thought in the beginning I would at least release guides for the basics of what you need for Skyrim EE PS3 modding. Soon more complicated stuff will come.

Going off topic I want to give you (since you were one of the creators of EE) and others updates on my research. One things I am doing at the moment is reducing lag in-game. I checked the DLC for dirty edits and found none, made sure load order was correct for me (btw I have some PC tools in the making for this sort of this), and other such things. I didn't know this, but some mods actually detect if you are on a console and refuse to work "Realistic Lighting Overhaul" as an example. I know the whole system behind detecting if you are on console/pc, but I decided not to share it or crack it. The authors obviously don't want their mod on PS3 so I will respect that and not try or release anything.

If you and Josh don't mind I actually have questions about certain things in Skyrim EE, if there was ever a time we could talk. PM me if you guys can ever talk. Very small questions so nothing that will take up your time. Thanks and please get back to me! :D
      bitsbubba and Death_Dealer like this.
    3. sandungas
      sandungas
    4. clayson
      clayson
      Thanks for replying! :gorilla:
      That is interesting... I have never seen that before looking at it, it looks recent. Just checked my Skyrim Special Edition news tab on Steam and saw it. Unfortunately I cannot directly add that to the PS3. I forgot to mention this I am making my own modded continuation of Skyrim Elite Edition. One reason I cannot add that is because you apparently will have to pay a fee a week after it comes out to keep using it. So adding it to a download would be the same as downloading pirated DLC. No matter the platform, unless of course this site has no problem with me doing that (porting it from PC to PS3). Another reason is Skyrim Elite Edition already has it's fair share of bugs a glitches. Lots of problems with DLC. So I need to fix stuff before adding stuff. The only thing I can do is compile mods that do the same thing as this new survival mode and make it a mod package. I will not forget about this though I'll keep it in mind. :D
      sandungas and bitsbubba like this.
    5. sandungas
      sandungas
      Auch, i thought the new survival mode was going to be a free content
      But well, i was thinking mostly in a tutorial about how to integrate the files in the PS3 version (no need to share any file)... if posible because at this point before release i guess is not posible to know if this can be done, but i wanted to advise about it because you guys are very used to this file formats
      Death_Dealer likes this.
    6. pony-modz
      pony-modz
      every time ill try to add meshes it wont load on my console any suggestion on what i can do?
      thats the file i want to add maybe thats the problem
    7. clayson
      clayson
      I packed the meshes and textures correctly. This mod just crashes my Skyrim, even converted the .ESP to a .ESM and it didn't work. Also looking around there are a lot of other My Little Pony horse mods so they could be used instead. Anyways just send the original mod page and I'll have a look at it.

Yeah of course! The only problem (lots of problems unfortunately :() is that I doubt this will be released as a separate DLC. I suspect it will be a part of "Update.esm" located in the "Data" folder for Skyrim Special Edition. I made a backup of Skyrim's current update files so I can compare them afterwards (if I am right). That way I can pin-point which files I need for this.

One question you might be asking me is, "Wait? If you said it's paid content then why could it be part of the update files?". Well I feel like buying this new mode will have something to do with bethesda.net and when it is purchased it is unlocked. Just a theory though... I can't really be sure they list it as part of the new update when it comes out.

Let's say the files for this new mode are separate DLC-like files for Skyrim Special Edition. I can then easily do tests and try this out hopefully with luck then release a guide for doing it. However, that doesn't mean there still can't be problems because there can be. That is all I can really think of at the moment. So I guess the end game is to wait for this one, let's cross our fingers it is separate DLC-like files and not part of the update files. :victorious: (couldn't find a crossing fingers smiley, but that looks close enough. :D)
      Death_Dealer, sandungas and bitsbubba like this.
    8. pony-modz
      pony-modz
      Here u go https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mo...mods.com/skyrim/ajax/modfiles/?id=26677&pUp=1
      bitsbubba likes this.
    9. clayson
      clayson
      UPDATE: Sorry I was out for a while I was getting really lazy and had other important stuff to do. @pony-modz please excuse me for my incredibly late response I am terribly sorry for that, I could not get your mod to work I am unsure why looking back at it, it could've been a texture problem and probably is. I think it is a RAM issue, not enough RAM I mean. The entire system froze so if I am correct that usually means a RAM problem in this situation. If I am wrong someone else please correct me.

About the new DLC for Skyrim Special Edition, the new "Hardcore Survival Mode" I believe. It is not possible, it introduces a file format (.ESL) that probably is unrecognizable by the PS3/X360 version of Skyrim. This is most likely the case with other TES/Fallout games which on PC are updated for this format, but not PS3. Of course I could be wrong, I think it's more likely some sort of .ESL to .ESP converter will be available sometime in the future. I really underestimated Zenimax when it came to this DLC. I thought it was gonna be like the other DLC, easy to unpack and copy. However even the .BSA file is having issues. I get errors when trying to unpack it...

"An error occurred trying to open the archive. Index was outside the bounds of the array."

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible, possibly mods could be used to simulate this or someone can create a copy-cat version of this. :(

http :// www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=Data_File#Light_Master
      Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2017
      pony-modz, sandungas and bitsbubba like this.
    10. Wek
      Wek
      Waiting tool dds - ddx file :tranquillity: