Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

PS3 Trying to JB OFW 4.70 slim to CFW 4.82...

Discussion in 'PS3Xploit CFW Installer ( PS3 25XX Models & Lower)' started by metroplex2k7, Nov 24, 2018.

1. 7
    metroplex2k7

metroplex2k7 Forum Noob

Hi all. I'm fairly new to this so, please bare with me. I have a slim PS3 (cech-2502A) on OFW 4.70 that I would like to upgrade to CFW 4.82. I ran minverchk, it came back with a 3.40. I just want to be able to slap a 1 or 2 TB HDD in it, fill it with games and voila...

Can anyone help me with a step by step guide for noobs, I'm not very tech savvy with techno-babble...

Thank you.

2. 7,735
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

3. 7,592
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

You can use this step by step to jailbreak your console as CFW is the best setup you can get on your console model.
    Don't omit anything mentioned in these instructions though, every single detail is there for a good reason. https://www.psx-place.com/index.php?posts/108103

Edit: Be careful not to update to 4.83 OFW by accident as well or you will be left without software jailbreak option until a new ps3xploit release comes out.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    STLcardsWS likes this.
  4. 7
    metroplex2k7

metroplex2k7 Forum Noob

Hey when I click on the photo in this step, it just shows a red x.

Once done, open your ps3 browser, set the homepage to http://ps3xploit.com/writer/index_nor_hdd.html
    Restart the browser.
    Follow the on screen instructions ie
    1. download the flash_482.jpg file
    2. initialize exploitation
    3. patch flash

5. 7
    metroplex2k7

metroplex2k7 Forum Noob

OK, nevermind, I got. Didnt know how to save the flash.jpg. Saved it, success on step 2, and step 3.

STLcardsWS likes this.
  6. 7
    metroplex2k7

metroplex2k7 Forum Noob

Finished all the way to Pychecker. Number of Dangers and Number of warnings were both 0. So, is that it?

Also, which CFW would be better for what I want to do - (play PS2 isos and PS3 games off the internal HDD...)?

Also also, is mine a CEX, DEX, REX? I dont know what those are? lol

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  7. 96
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 PSX-Place Supporter

That means you have a successful NOR dump, so if you've patched the flash then yes, that's everything and you're ready to install CFW. Rebug REX 4.82.2 is a very popular choice of CFW, which is itself a hybrid of CEX and DEX. I'd recommend going for REX as opposed to D-REX, which caters more towards PS3 software developers than consumers. CEX is consumer firmware, whereas DEX is developer/debug. Your console will be CEX as it's a retail model; the CECH prefix indicates retail/consumer, whereas DECH consoles are developer models and much less common.

So, REX is a hybrid firmware because it has both CEX and DEX firmwares built in to it, which you can toggle between freely. As your console is CEX, it would be in CEX mode when installed and you can't accidentally toggle onto DEX as it requires deliberate prerequisite steps beforehand. Toggling Cobra mode in Rebug Toolbox (which comes bundled with Rebug, and just needs to be installed from the Package Manager) will allow you to mount and play PS1 and PS2 ISOs, using webMAN MOD from a neatly organised menu on the XMB.

Another popular firmware choice is Ferrox Cobra 4.83, which has Cobra built-in and so does not need to be enabled. Cobra is needed for the mounting of ISOs using wMM. It is perfectly safe to install 4.83 CFW , so long as you don't download and install OFW 4.83 via the internet. You could also install Ferrox Cobra 4.82 first, and then update to 4.83 Ferrox via USB - this may actually be the recommended way to do it, but I'm not sure. See this thread for a full list of 4.83 CFW to help you decide which option you want to go for.

Whichever one you go for, it's good practice to toggle the QA flag once you get onto CFW. If you choose Rebug, then you can do it via Rebug Toolbox. For Ferrox or other CFW, download, install and run the standalone Habib QA Toggle. Toggling the QA flag (it only needs to be done once) will allow you to install a lower firmware version than what you're on, so if you do install 4.83 and decide you want to try Rebug 4.82.2 (a 4.83 Rebug is not available) you can do. You cannot install a lower firmware version without the QA flag. The QA flag will also disable the option to update via the internet in System Settings > System Update, preventing accidental installation of OFW 4.83 which would disable CFW and the ability to jailbreak your console using PS3Xploit.

Hope this helps.

sandungas and STLcardsWS like this.
  8. 7,592
    bguerville

In the future, please avoid posting the same thing in different threads. It makes it harder to follow & it won't give you quicker or better answers.

9. 7
    metroplex2k7

metroplex2k7 Forum Noob

My apologies. Also, the link inside the zip file of Rebug 4.82 REX to download the CFW, doesnt work. Is there another place I can get it you can recommend?

10. 7,592
    bguerville

No. Rebug CFWs can only be downloaded from the official servers as requested by Rebug Team.
    I have REX 4.81.2 on Mega if you wish but no 4.82 builds. Someone else will probably share a link with you eventually.
    It's most likely a temporary issue that will be fixed soon though, server is down for some reason.

11. 96
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 PSX-Place Supporter

Here is a link to Rebug REX 4.82.2, which I downloaded a while back and keep a backup of on my external hard drive:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/k7ux5f

MD5: 6eead68f81a66502294fd329d4087106

You are free to check the hash against the .txt file that contains the link to the download, which is still down at the moment, but I can assure you the file is genuine and untouched in any way.