PS3 [Tutorial] Installing Red Ribbon Linux on Rebug 4.81.2 D-REX

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by dazzaXx, Feb 17, 2018.

1. 74
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

.RCO Plugin Coder
    Red Ribbon Linux Official News & Website: redribbongnulinux.000webhostapp.com
    RedRibbonPS3Linux.png Red-Ribbon-RC7-System-Settings.png Red-Ribbon-LXDE-14.03-SMTube.png

[Tutorial] Installing Red Ribbon Linux on Rebug 4.81.2 D-REX
    Hey guys, since there isn't really a tutorial out there to do with Linux and new firmware, well i mean there are but there for 3.55 but i thought i'd make one to help people who want it on their PS3 system's that are on recent firmware.

• What you will need:
      • A Jailbroken PS3 (duh.. xD)
      • This Special REBUG 4.81.2 Linux package >> DOWNLOAD.
      • For CEX Users (Download this and the one above) >> DOWNLOAD.
      • A USB Stick (FAT32)
      • A spare USB keyboard and mouse
      • Patience and a cup of coffee...

• Step 1:
      • Assuming you downloaded my package and extracted it all to a safe place, plug in your USB Stick to your PC and make sure it's blank and formatted to FAT32, create a folder called "PS3" and inside that "UPDATE".

Step 2:

• Get the REBUG_4.81.2_D-REX_EMER_INIT_PS3UPDAT.PUP and place it inside the "UPDATE" folder and rename it to just "PS3UPDAT.PUP"

Step 3:
      • Take it out of your PC and update it as you usually would but press the "Update via Storage Media" option, go through the steps and install the update.

Step 4:
      • Once its done, turn the PS3 off and boot it into safe mode.
        • (If you don't know how to boot it into safe mode, there's a small tut here: www.playstation.com

• Step 5:
      • When in safe mode, you are gonna want to choose the "Restore PS3 System" option. It should do it's thing and reboot to a huge SONY logo like the PS3 is brand new, go through the screens until your back at the XMB. This is the step where it formats the HDD so make sure you've backed up your data!

Step 6:

• Take your USB and plug it back into your PC and erase everything off of it so that it's blank again and put the petitboot image that corresponds to your flash chip (NAND/NOR) on the root of the USB stick (Not the folder, the actual dtbImage file should go onto the root of the USB.)
      Fat PS3's:
      • CECHAxx/Bxx/Cxx/Exx/Gxx are NAND.
      • CECHHxx/Jxx/Kxx/Lxx/Mxx/Pxx/Qxx are NOR.
      Slim PS3's:
      • CECH-20xx/21xx/25xx are NOR.

Step 7:
      • Plug the USB back into the PS3 and install the Rebug Toolbox that comes packaged with the firmware, just go to install packages, Internal HDD and it should be there somewhere in there. Once installed, boot it.

Step 8:
      • Navigate over to the "Utilities" column of the toolbox and scroll down until you see "Resize VFLASH/NAND Regions", go ahead and choose that option and proceed to do it, you should get a "Success" message or something like that, if it doesn't say to reboot, do it anyways and reboot the PS3.

• Step 9:
      • Once it has rebooted, go back into the Rebug Toolbox and to the "Utilities" column, make sure the USB is plugged into the very right USB port of the PS3 and select the "Install petitboot" option, this option will take a few minutes, the success message should say "Petitboot installed. Enjoy OtherOS." Give the PS3 another reboot.

Step 10:
      • Take the USB and plug it into your PC once again, and erase everything off of it so that its blank again. Grab the red_ribbon_lxde_14.03.iso and extract its contents to the root of the USB, you should have 4 folders and a md5sum.txt file. Grab the create_hdd_region.sh and put that on the root of the USB also.

Step 11:
      • Plug the USB back into the very right USB port of the PS3 and boot the toolbox once again, this time you are going to want to go to the "System" column and select the "Boot OtherOS" option and in that you choose the "Boot (LV1 patches: Use Current)" option and press yes. It will boot the main petitboot screen. At this point you are gonna need to plug a keyboard and mouse into the PS3 as the controller will no longer work.

Step 12:
      • Press ESC, it should take you to the terminal, if not choose "Exit to Shell" and type cd /tmp/petitboot/mnt/sdd1/ (FOR FAT PS3's) or type cd /tmp/petitboot/mnt/sda1/ (FOR SLIM PS3's)

Step 13:
      • If you type "ls", there should be a green file that is the create_hdd_region.sh
      • Type "./create_hdd_region.sh" and it should come up with some text and numbers, this is the script formatting the OtherOS partition. Once it's done, just type "petitboot" and it should bring the list back up.

Step 14:

• There should be a "live" option at the top of the list, your gonna want to boot that one so make sure it is highlighted and press Enter on it, it should proceed to boot Red Ribbon Linux.

• Step 15:
      • Once Linux is fully loaded up to the desktop screen, there should be one shortcut on the desktop called "Install Red Ribbon", choose your country/language etc. There will be a box talking about a "guide", press yes.

Step 16:
      • It should then come up with a box telling you to name the linux system, go ahead and call it whatever you want and press Enter.

Step 17:
      • Next is the workgroup box, i just left this as "workgroup" and pressed Enter as i didn't really know at the time what it was.
      • If it doesn't come up saying that a partition was found and comes up with a "Automatic partitioning" option, thats fine, go ahead and press that option, follow the guide/installer and it should eventually say that its copying over system files, etc
      • Go take a break for a bit as it installs to the Internal HDD and does it's thing.

Step 18:
      • Once you know it is successfully installed go to the start menu located in the top-left corner and "Boot GameOS" it should shut down and reboot back to the PS3 XMB, take the USB out of the PS3 and go straight to the Rebug Toolbox and Boot OtherOS again with current LV1 patches.
      • There should now be a Red-Ribbon-default option at the top of the list now instead of it saying "live" that indicates that it has indeed successfully installed onto the PS3's Internal HDD.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK >>> THIS TUTORIAL INVOLVES MODIFYING /DEV_FLASH FILES . Which means If Steps are not followed,a Console Brick can occur. Also Note, this will erase all of your data stored on your HDD , so don't say you were not warned, be sure to backup any contents before attempting. .

If you run into any problems, message down below and i'll try to help the best way i can.

UPDATE 26-04-18: Since the release of Rebug 4.82.2 DEX, those with existing Linux installed can update with official, unmodified Rebug firmware and the OtherOS will still be useable as it detects existing partitions.
    Hey guys, since there isn't really a tutorial out there to do with Linux and new firmware, well i mean there are but there for 3.55 but i thought i'd make one to help people who want it on their PS3 system's that are on recent firmware.

NOTE: THIS WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR DATA STORED ON YOUR HARD DRIVE SO DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU.

THIS TUTORIAL INVOLVES MODIFYING /DEV_FLASH FILES SO IF YOU MESS UP ONE OF THE STEPS I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR PS3 SYSTEM.

Rebug 4.81.2 Linux Package: https://mega.nz/#!tTBl3CxA!Zr4cqwmFUsfq_oZi89JZWKmJ1pJWXCV-o7WLH2IU09k

What you will need:
    • A Jailbroken PS3 (duh.. xD)
    • The Linux package i have linked below.
    • A USB Stick (FAT32)
    • A spare keyboard and mouse
    • Patience and a cup of coffee...
    Step 1:
    Assuming you downloaded my package and extracted it all to a safe place, plug in your USB Stick to your PC and make sure it's blank and formatted to FAT32, create a folder called "PS3" and inside that "UPDATE".

Step 2:
    Get the REBUG_4.81.2_D-REX_EMER_INIT_PS3UPDAT.PUP and place it inside the "UPDATE" folder and rename it to just "PS3UPDAT.PUP"

Step 3:
    Take it out of your PC and update it as you usually would but press the "Update via Storage Media" option, go through the steps and install the update.

Step 4:
    Once its done, turn the PS3 off and boot it into safe mode.
    (If you don't know how to boot it into safe mode, there's a small tut here: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...-system-stability/safe-mode-on-playstation-3/)

Step 5:
    When in safe mode, you are gonna want to choose the "Restore PS3 System" option. It should do it's thing and reboot to a huge SONY logo like the PS3 is brand new, go through the screens until your back at the XMB. This is the step where it formats the HDD so make sure you've backed up your data!

Step 6:
    Take your USB and plug it back into your PC and erase everything off of it so that it's blank again and put the petitboot image that corresponds to your flash chip (NAND/NOR) on the root of the USB stick (Not the folder, the actual dtbImage file should go onto the root of the USB.)

Fat PS3's:
    CECHAxx/Bxx/Cxx/Exx/Gxx are NAND.
    CECHHxx/Jxx/Kxx/Lxx/Mxx/Pxx/Qxx are NOR.

Slim PS3's:
    CECH-20xx/21xx/25xx are NOR.

Step 7:
    Plug the USB back into the PS3 and install the Rebug Toolbox that comes packaged with the firmware, just go to install packages, Internal HDD and it should be there somewhere in there. Once installed, boot it.

Step 8:
    Navigate over to the "Utilities" column of the toolbox and scroll down until you see "Resize VFLASH/NAND Regions", go ahead and choose that option and proceed to do it, you should get a "Success" message or something like that, if it doesn't say to reboot, do it anyways and reboot the PS3.

Step 9:
    Once it has rebooted, go back into the Rebug Toolbox and to the "Utilities" column, make sure the USB is plugged into the very right USB port of the PS3 and select the "Install petitboot" option, this option will take a few minutes, the success message should say "Petitboot installed. Enjoy OtherOS." Give the PS3 another reboot.

Step 10:
    Take the USB and plug it into your PC once again, and erase everything off of it so that its blank again. Grab the red_ribbon_lxde_14.03.iso and extract its contents to the root of the USB, you should have 4 folders and a md5sum.txt file. Grab the create_hdd_region.sh and put that on the root of the USB also.

Step 11:
    Plug the USB back into the very right USB port of the PS3 and boot the toolbox once again, this time you are going to want to go to the "System" column and select the "Boot OtherOS" option and in that you choose the "Boot (LV1 patches: Use Current)" option and press yes. It will boot the main petitboot screen. At this point you are gonna need to plug a keyboard and mouse into the PS3 as the controller will no longer work.

Step 12:
    Press ESC, it should take you to the terminal, if not choose "Exit to Shell" and type cd /tmp/petitboot/mnt/sdd1/

Step 13:
    If you type "ls", there should be a green file that is the create_hdd_region.sh

Type "./create_hdd_region.sh" and it should come up with some text and numbers, this is the script formatting the OtherOS partition. Once it's done, just type "petitboot" and it should bring the list back up.

Step 14:
    There should be a "live" option at the top of the list, your gonna want to boot that one so make sure it is highlighted and press Enter on it, it should proceed to boot Red Ribbon Linux.

Step 15:
    Once Linux is fully loaded up to the desktop screen, there should be one shortcut on the desktop called "Install Red Ribbon", choose your country/language etc. There will be a box talking about a "guide", press yes.

Step 16:
    It should then come up with a box telling you to name the linux system, go ahead and call it whatever you want and press Enter.

Step 17:
    Next is the workgroup box, i just left this as "workgroup" and pressed Enter as i didn't really know at the time what it was.

If it doesn't come up saying that a partition was found and comes up with a "Automatic partitioning" option, thats fine, go ahead and press that option, follow the guide/installer and it should eventually say that its copying over system files, etc.

Go take a break for a bit as it installs to the Internal HDD and does it's thing.

Step 18:
    Once you know it is successfully installed go to the start menu located in the top-left corner and "Boot GameOS" it should shut down and reboot back to the XMB, take the USB out of the PS3 and go straight to the Rebug Toolbox and Boot OtherOS again with current LV1 patches.

There should now be a Red-Ribbon-default option at the top of the list now instead of it saying "live" that indicates that it has indeed successfully installed onto the PS3's Internal HDD.

Congrats! Linux is now installed on your PS3 System! Now do whatever you want with it! :)

If you run into any problems, message down below and i'll try to help the best way i can.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    MixeryMaxe, ZeroOne, knowone and 13 others like this.
  2. 13
    RnD_Customz

RnD_Customz New Member

Hey bud, question. I'm on Rebug DREX 4.81.02 n I want to install red ribbon Linux?
    Can I do that on stock? I read your other post about having to run it through mfw builder 1st, im confused on what you had to change? My understanding is this cfw comes ready for otheros++ n petitboot. I'm hoping to do this without losing my 700gbs of data lol

3. 238
    playerkp420

playerkp420 Moderator Developer

Nice guide. Going to follow it when I set mine back up.

Might be worth mentioning that user needs to be converted to DEX before starting. Although it will work on CEX with a patched REX PUP. Maybe include instructions on how to patch themselves. In case they want to reserve a different size for the Linux partition. What size is your patched D-REX? I didn't see, unless I overlooked.

@RnD_Customz if you don't want to back up and restore your data, you can install RRL to a USB drive. But to install to the PS3's internal HDD, it needs to format and make a separate partition for it. Which is what the patched D-REX PUP will do.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    dazzaXx and RnD_Customz like this.
  4. 13
    RnD_Customz

RnD_Customz New Member

On another post he said 22gb is what he patched to.
    Do I have to patch to run otheros++? I thought @Joonie released it ready for otheros++
    Thanks so much for the tutorial though. I've been looking for one that was updated.
    @playerkp420 thanks bud I knew about running live Linux, and I figured I would have to backup data, don't even know why I asked, forgive the stupid question.
    Think I could resize/install petitboot, put HDD in my dock, resize partitions,then format the new unallocated space(while saving data) with either gparted in Linux or mini partition wizard on win7? I'm unsure if either program will mess up PS3 partitions?
    So it's setup to run live version of otheros stock, but for internal you have to patch the cfw to make and format proper partitions lol ok I'm no longer confused. Thanks alot.

Ps. Love psx-place y'all r legit

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    DeViL303 likes this.
  5. 74
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

.RCO Plugin Coder
    I attempted to install petitboot without installing the .PUP update and it just partially corrupted the HDD's filesystem. All that is different about my update is that the emer_init has been patched to allow the system to allocate 22GB of the Internal HDD :)

RnD_Customz likes this.
  6. 7,078
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

RnD_Customz and dazzaXx like this.
  7. 13
    RnD_Customz

RnD_Customz New Member

Well you made it alot simpler, thanks alot :)

dazzaXx likes this.
  8. 74
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

.RCO Plugin Coder
    I'll probably make a link for the REX version that is patched also for those on CEX systems. Or maybe just a seperate tut for patching the firmware so people can do it themselves with whatever firmware they want to use it with.

9. 7,078
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

I personally never dove into Linux on my PS3, but if you guys any recommendations or insight on what limitations users might run into or useful things you are able to achieve . We all know linux on the PS3 is not the most powerful thing, and for many may not be worth it but i know there is some great uses that maybe others overlook. So for the ones who have used it, what would you advise to a user good and bad?

dazzaXx likes this.
  10. 74
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

.RCO Plugin Coder
  11. 3
    nastys

nastys New Member

It says "No applicable update data was found."
    Since I'm running the same CFW (but without the patch), should I attempt to install it in recovery mode to bypass this error?

Never mind, I forgot to create the PS3 folder.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  12. 3
    nastys

nastys New Member

After selecting "Restore PS3™ system", it's been asking me to connect storage media that contains the firmware but it says it's corrupted.
    photo_2018-02-19_23-45-11.jpg photo_2018-02-19_23-45-12.jpg photo_2018-02-19_23-45-14.jpg photo_2018-02-19_23-45-15.jpg photo_2018-02-19_23-45-16.jpg photo_2018-02-19_23-45-18.jpg
    As far as I know, Rebug can't installed via recovery. I can install another CFW and then replace it with Rebug but then the HDD won't be properly formatted for Linux, will it?

EDIT: I did it one more time and apparently it worked!
    For those who have the same problem, I used Player's CFW 4.81, then installed the patched Rebug via XMB and finally selected "Restore PS3™ system" in safe mode.

dazzaXx likes this.
  13. 74
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

.RCO Plugin Coder
    ̶S̶o̶m̶e̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶i̶ ̶g̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶'̶D̶a̶t̶a̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶C̶o̶r̶r̶u̶p̶t̶e̶d̶'̶ ̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶,̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶u̶n̶p̶a̶t̶c̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶R̶e̶b̶u̶g̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶m̶w̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶c̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶k̶e̶d̶.̶

Good to hear, let me know if you run into any more problems :)

nastys and STLcardsWS like this.
  14. 3
    nastys

nastys New Member

I have done everything and Red Ribbon works like a charm on my CEX PS3!
    Thank you for your amazing tutorial! ;)

dazzaXx and STLcardsWS like this.
  15. 74
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

.RCO Plugin Coder
    No problem, i'm glad to hear it worked for you :D

nastys likes this.
  16. 1
    smvb64

smvb64 New Member

Home Page:
    Hey, I have a question.
    I was following a guide from the ps3 homebrew subreddit before I saw this thread.

(For some reason I cant post the link) But to find it go to reddit ps3 homebrew > wiki/faq in the sidebar > scroll down > installing other OS.

And I installed petiteboot with out your patch. Did I just corrupt a chuck of my HDD? lol
    Thanks SM

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  17. 74
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

.RCO Plugin Coder
    No you didn't, having petitboot installed already hasn't got anything to do with the HDD but you are going to have to install the patched firmware i've linked if you plan on installing it to your Internal HDD because it reserves space for OtherOS to go onto.

18. 8
    Bloodyface

Bloodyface New Member

Hi

I just suscribed because i am very interested in linux on my ps3 but until now i have found answers of my questions and how to do it

I have a CEX PS3 60gb fat with cfw habib and is your tuto compatible with my ps3 ?
    What have to do prior to start because your talk about dex?

How to keep my habib cfw at the end with otheros fucntional because i wonder if i have to réinstall cfw Habib or next update it can be deleted ?

I think a separate tuto for those on cex and on other cfw will be very interesting and we will be very grateful if you can do it (or maybe it is already done because you mentionned one of your message above)

I also wonder if the ps3 works smoothless on linux and if fan is noisy as it iq on GameOS ?
    Thank you for your help

19. 74
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

.RCO Plugin Coder
    This is do-able with CEX, i have linked CEX patched Rebug firmware somewhere here in the comments. As for Habib CFW, i've never used it before as i believe Rebug is the best CFW out there and also the fact that i've never worked with any other firmware before. You use the Rebug Toolbox to boot into OtherOS and to install petitboot that is needed for Linux installation. Unless the Toolbox is usable/installable on other CFW's.

20. 21
    Gtx

Gtx New Member

Is Kernel source code available?