Ukko's Journey was developed originally for cellphones back in 2008/2009 by LuBlu Entertainment. In 2017 the team decided to port the game to Blu-Play. Developer misthalu says this is a proof-of-concept demonstration to show what is possible with Blu-Play. Blu-Play games are "small-scale homebrew games coded with Blu-ray Disc Java (BD-J), and which therefore runs on any game-console that comes with a built-in Blu-ray player", which at present time includes PS3, PS4 and XB1. In other words, you don't need a special version of a Blu-Play title in order to run it on your console. One disc runs on all.
Ukko's Journey PS4, PS3, and XBox
- Performance: The game plays with 50+ fps.
- Audio: Plays ingame music + sound-effects.
- Persistent storage: Remembers your settings between disc ejects.
- Controls: 11 buttons on the gamepad useable.
- Internet: Uploads/downloads highscores to/from UkkosJourney.com .
- Network: Sends the cellphone version of the game to your Wi-Fi connected JavaME enabled phone via your local network.
PS3 / PS4 (Retail Console not Exploited/Hacked)
- You need to burn the ISO onto some sort of Blu-ray disc. So you need a Blu-ray burner.
- You can run the ISO from harddisk by mounting the ISO with multiMAN, webMAM (& MOD), IRISMAN or you favorite manager (supporting ISO's_ from BDISO folder.
- You have the option to use DVD and Blu-ray. Both naturally work.
If you want to the the online scoring system for the game, make sure the console's Blu-ray settings allow the disc to go online.
- On the PS3 the setting is in Video Settings then "BD - Internet connection".
- On the XB1 it is in Blu-ray settings then "Enable BD Live to improve Blu-ray playback".
As a side note before starting a game you might want to redefine the controls via in game settings. Also make sure to enter your nickname for the highscores.
Q: Which platforms will this run on?
A: You should always expect Blu-Play games to only run on the gaming consoles that comes with a built-in Blu-ray player. These are the consoles Blu-Play is all about. However, Blu-Play games should theoretically also run on any other Blu-ray player. (Just don't expect any stunning framerates everyhere). Some examples:
- Windows: Get your hands on a software media player that supports BD-J, like e.g. PowerDVD from Cyberlink. Play ISO from harddisk. Tested and works fine with a good frame (depending on your CPU of course).
- Mac: Same deal. Find a software media player that supports BD-J. There's "MacGo Blu-ray Player", but I haven't tested that one.
- Linux: VLC is getting BD-J support implemented these days. You may be able to run Ukko's Journey on one of the nightly builds, Just don't expect all features of the game to run - if it runs at all. (Keep in mind there's no official release of "VLC with BD-J support" yet).
- Samsung Blu-ray players: It seems that Samsung players more frequently accepts Blu-ray content on a DVD than other brands, so you may be able to run Blu-Play games from a DVD on these players.
- Other Blu-ray players: Burn the ISO onto a BD-R or BD-RE.
- Other options: Dune HD Smart D1 / Popcorn Hour C200 / Popcorn Hour C300 lets you play the ISO from harddisk.
Q: The graphics in the game looks very pixelated. Does this represent a Blu-Play limitation?
A: Not at all. "Ukko's Journey" was merely ported from a platform with a resolution of only 240x320 pixels. We made HD versions of the fonts and the backgrounds and the foregrounds, but we had to limit the amount of time spent on this project, due to a combination of having a ton of other things on our ToDo list, while not knowing if anyone will take any interest in this Blu-Play idea at all. So we decided to not spend additional time improving the level-graphics yet.
Q: When I try to upload/download highscores, it just says "No data found"!
A: You have probably accidentally entered a highscore ID in Settings. Go back and type "0" for ID. (Never mind the Password field). The highscore settings allows a group of people to compete with each other on their own personal (hidden) highscore list, but you need a highscore-list ID and a password (from me) to be able to use that feature.
Q: Under "Send to phone" it says "JavaME enabled phones only". What's that?
A: JavaME enabled phones was what everyone was using before the arrival of Android phones and iPhones. Almost all phones ran JavaME back then, because it was either embedded into the firmware, or in the OS. If a stock phone couldn't run JavaME, you could always find an app that would let you run it. again regardless of what OS you were using.
Nowadays this is still true for Android. You can simply install phoneME. However, since the MIDlets on this disc were all created for small resolutions, they aren't very useful on the big Android displays.
Q: Do I have to burn the ISO onto a BD-R, or can I use a DVD?
A: You can burn a Blu-ray ISO file onto a DVD, but sadly it won't play everywhere. Xbox One owners are in luck here. PlayStation owners are not. Testing standard Blu-ray players reveals that about 30%-40% of the players accepts Blu-ray content on a DVD, mostly Samsung players.
Q: What exactly is Blu-Play?
A: The Blu-Play label is an attempt of fixing a few widely accepted misconceptions about Blu-ray Disc Java (BD-J), by giving "BD-J homebrew games" a new and "fresh" label. One that sounds a lot better, emphasises that focus is on the gaming-consoles, is much more easily found when searching online, and isn't associated with all the false rumours about the limitations of BD-J. By demonstrating a lot of the functionality here that many people has claimed to be impossible, I'm hoping to breathe new life into BD-J development for the game-consoles.
Read more about Blu-Play here.
Q: I wanna buy a disc with this!
A: There's a BUY link at the blu-play.com website. Note: I will not be making any money on this. The price on the disc is the fee EditHouse is charging.
PS4 Ukko's Journey - BD-J Homebrew Game playable on OFW: PS4/PS3/X1 (via burned Media) & PS3 CFW (HDD)
By SockNastez on Feb 14, 2017 at 7:06 PM
ePSP Bubble Installer 3.1 (by CelesteBlue)Since we last checked in on this homebrew, developer CelesteBlue has made several updates to the incredibly useful ePSP Bubble Installer with the release of version 3.0 and 3.1. Which added the ability to duplicate ePSP bubbles & adds a bubble Removal functions (v3.1 actually fixes an issue with the new feature added in 3.0) & various other changes have been outlined in the logs, a very useful utility for exploiting and utilizing the psp emulator with henkaku.Continue reading
Configuration Manager v0.20 (by DeViL303): Several new additions are present in this updateEveryone like XMB mods, Right? Well we know @DeViL303 is no stranger to XMB Modding and if you did not checkout the inaugural version of Configuration Manager you can give this latest update a go as we see several new additions to the release adding confirmation dialogs for copy operations. plus a few features outlined in the changelog provided. Also if your more XMB mods be sure to view the recent work from @Berion 's as the dev pushes an unofficial update to XMB Manager Plus with the release of XMBM+ 2k17. Continue reading
Project Void v0.0.3 (by Akabane87) - Many new elements & progress in this homebrew GameFollowing the previous update to Project Void from developer Akabane87, we have seen an extensive changes that includes a vast amount of changes, making this one step (of the many) closer to a complete game and this homebrew project is really impressive as Project Void put you in a dogfight in space with your ship against the elements. This update brings alot of new elements so give this new vpk a go and also read the "Latest Update" tab for all the details of this update. Also view what is currently playable and operational within Project Void.Continue reading
Share This Page
- 4.81 cfw
- henkaku homebrew
- homebrew game
- playstation 2
- playstation 2 emulator
- playstation 2 resources
- playstation portable
- playstation portable cfw
- playstation portable emulator
- playstation portable resources
- playstation tv
- ps tv
- ps vita
- ps2 emulator
- ps2 homebrew
- ps2 resources
- ps3 cfw
- ps3 homebrew
- ps3 plugin
- psp cfw
- psp emulator
- psp resources
- pstv homebrew
- vita homebrew
- vita tv
- webman mod
- xmb mod
- User Record:
- Latest Member:
- m rizqan mannan