PS VITA / PS TV [UPDATE v3] TheFl0w Releases Download Enabler Plugin for the Vita & PSTV

Discussion in 'PS Vita News' started by atreyu187, Jun 18, 2017.

By atreyu187 on Jun 18, 2017 at 11:54 PM
  1. 4,378
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Ensō Tester Moderator Developer

Sony Fanboy
    Home Page:
    Well it seems the developers back at it again, as TheFlow releases a new plug-in that now allows you to download any file using the native browser. I have just tested this release, I was able to acquire the new Grand Theft Auto remastered plug-in as well as some PSP Homebrew. Files will be located in ux0:/downloads. Included is the Readme with installation instructions.

650_1200.jpg

• Download Enabler
      • The official PS Vita™ webbrowser is only able to downloaded media files. This plugin removes that limitation and allows you to download any files from the webbrowser to ux0:downloads. There is however a bug in the webbrowser that makes secure links unaccessable, therefore not all files can be downloaded.

Installation

Copy download_enabler.suprx to ux0:tai and write the path to *main as follows
      Reboot your device and enjoy your improved webbrowser.

• Changelog v3

• Improved code and now files with don't overwrite existing files anymore, but are saved as filename (X).ext.
      Changelog v2

• Fixed bug in Sony webbrowser where a HEAD request was made instead of a GET request. This also fixed the Cannot download using this system bug.
      • Changed download folder to ux0:download.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2017
    ed89, STLcardsWS and MixeryMaxe like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'PS Vita News' started by atreyu187, Jun 18, 2017.

1. bguerville
      bguerville
      I just looked at the code it's incredibly simple & clever, thanks to the taihen framework.
      The app patches the mime type to make the system think it's handling a photo file, it patches the destination folder (and creates the directory if need be) then it loads the photoexport module which downloads the file & finally unloads the module gracefully.
      We could probably do something similar on the PS3 to be able to download to internal hdd come to think of it....
      STLcardsWS likes this.
    2. atreyu187
      atreyu187
      It is truly amazing and I was able to remove for different homebrews that pretty much did the same thing but only had access to their repositories. My only issue is I have not been able to download any of the VPK files from our sites resources.
    3. DeViL303
      DeViL303
      atreyu187 and MixeryMaxe like this.
    4. bguerville
      bguerville
      And 6h ago, TheFl0w pushed the v3 revision to his DownloadEnabler git repo, the source code has changed considerably but still relies on the same basic principles as v1.0 or v2.0.

The webbrowser bug which creates HEAD requests instead of GET requests resulting in downloads failure is patched, all download requests will now be proper GET requests as long as the plugin is loaded.

The photoexport module isn't used in the same way anymore though, in v1/v2 it was loaded by the plugin then it was used to download the file directly to the downloads folder & was unloaded, now the downloadenabler plugin uses background downloading with a pdb file instead.
      After automatic background downloading, further processing is applied, in case a file with the same name already exists in the downloads folder, the newly downloaded file will be renamed. Finally, if all went well, the downloaded file is moved to the downloads folder.

Note that download urls that do not provide a valid Content-Length in the header processed by the browser will not work. Unfortunately a number of websites provide headers without Content-Length information due to the requirements of the web application they use.

Download:
      https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/DownloadEnabler/releases/tag/v3.0
      Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    5. atreyu187
      atreyu187
      V3 is now out and v4 is right on it's tails with promised SSL support as well