Updating from 3.41 CFW

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreaks / CFW' started by PS3BigFan, Dec 30, 2018.

1. 3,418
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

3.41 CFW (i wonder which one it was) with rogero backup manager... epic combo

Btw, for NTFS support you can try managunz (or irisman) backup managers, the way how NTFS works in them is easyer to deal with

And for the splitted game "bigfiles" i guess most backup managers are going to support them, but this splitting method is obsolete and you cant create a PS3 ISO with splitted bigfiles inside anyway (is not going to work). What some people does nowadays is to create the ISO first and then "split" the ISO, most PS3 ISO tools have a option to do this splitting automatically (at the end of the iso creation)
    This way you can use PS3 ISO in FAT32

Cypher_CG89 likes this.
  2. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

3. 7,837
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

You can do whatever you want of course but imho using FAT32 & split isos on your main external drive is a bad legacy-style choice.

Ntfs is implemented OK in most backup managers. You can copy whatever you want to ntfs using Irisman/ManaGunZ file manager or sMan/wMM ftp.
    I assume your current issues are only limited to iso dumping anyway so use the best manager for that job (Irisman or Managunz) & after that you should not experience any more problems.

As to multiman (which might have been the be all & end all on ps3 at some point but simply isn't anymore due to available alternatives), once the iso files have been copied to ntfs, it will detect & mount the games properly without issues.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  4. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

My problem is that a NTFS drive can't be even seen/recognized at all, by neither of the file managers (I tried webman, multiman, managunz, irisman - none worked). The best I could achieve - multiman with PFS can at least see it as "pvd_usb000", but if I try to browse it - it just endlessly rotates the "waiting wheel" and nothing happens. Do I need a USB 2.0 cable instead of 3.0? Are USB 3.0 drives compatible?

I came upon the following guide:
    "you also need to format the drive correctly; Use MiniTool Partition Wizard and;
    - Set drive to MBR (not GPT)
    - Create as Logical (not Primary)
    - Cluster Size: 64KB"
    But even by following this it doesn't work at all. I would love to use the modern methods, if I just could get NTFS to work somehow... Spent already many hours on this issue - without success so far :-/.

Somewhere else I am reading:
    "1) your Partitions has to be MBR (2 TB file limit) and not GPT
    2) Your Fat32 Partition has to be first then the ntfs Partition (as second)
    3) both Partitions Fat32 + NTFS has to be formatted primary and not logical!) "
    So does it have to be primary or logical? :)

And one more question - should I use the "normal/retail" mode or "rebug/debug" mode (it can be changed through settings in Rebug toolbox)? What does it affect?

Many thanks for all help!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  5. 1,057
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    PS3's are USB 2.0, a friend has a PS3 that is USB 3.0 all i remember is asking how the F**k is his PS3 USB 3.0? I think very few models are. If your USB ports are not blue but Black they are USB 2.0. anything that is USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 but you will be restricted to the USB 2.0 interface transfer speeds.

MiniTool is one of the best free formatting tools, it is also the only free tool that allows for OS migration on windows (move windows from one drive to the other as long as its and SSD) As for the NTFS, i would assume the standard NTFS settings work.

REBUG mode is a VSH swap, and also allows for connection to PSN on DEX without spoofing, although you have to set up a few other things first.

6. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

If PS3 should work with any USB 3.0 harddrive, I really don't understand why I can't get it to work with any file manager... The last thing which I could test - to create 2 partitions on that drive, this is the only option I haven't tried yet. 1 - fat32, 2 - ntfs.
    As to the REBUG mode etc - so as I understand NTFS support should work fine with any of the modes (normal/retail and rebug/debug) as it's enabled solely by COBRA if I am not mistaken. And COBRA support is enabled for sure.

Any other ideas what might be wrong there?... Thanks!

7. 1,057
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    The only other thing i can think of is the External HDD itself. PS3s can sometimes be fussy over them especially if they have pre-installed drivers for windows and things. But this is rare i think.

My external HDD is FAT32 USB 2.0 but its just a basic empty Sabrent enclosure that I put a spare 500GB 2.5 SATA HDD in.

Is yours a sealed drive or similar to this?

8. 3,418
    sandungas

Btw, for the NTFS tests you could use a USB flash stick with only 1 game
    There are many PS3 games that are small, so is enought with a USB stick of 4gb or 8gb if you have one around

Cypher_CG89 likes this.
  9. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

Not sure why, but finally it worked. I just prepared the NTFS drive with the following specs:
    - MBR
    - default cluster size (non-default didn't work at all)
    - primary

And finally webMan recognized it. Didn't try with any other file manager because I am really happy that at least webMan can read and recognize/load the ISO files on it :).
    Thanks for all help again, now my "new old" PS3 seems to be in the perfect shape for everything I need :). Maybe at some point I will do some tests with online, modding and most probably PS1/PS2/PSP as I have got a good range of older games as well, but for now I am all set =).

10. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

Just in case someone might need it - with REBUG 4.82.2 and the latest MultiMan/webMan the patched 3.41 eboots are absolutely no problem to run as well :). It just takes any eboot - either the original one or the patched one, without any problems.

11. 7,837
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Only using JB folder legacy format though right?

12. 41
    PS3BigFan

PS3BigFan Member

I only tried it with the folder format, no idea if it would still work as a packaged ISO.

13. 7,837
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Afaik, it would not work but it is easy to try. Make an iso of a smaller game with a patched eboot using Irisman or whatever & mount it. You will know straight away.

14. 5
    Shay Yair

Shay Yair Forum Noob

Hi,
    I'm catching back as well on the PS3, and mine has CFW 3.41, however, in all guides I could find I saw that I should first update my device to OFW 4.82.
    Reading this thread, I saw it is not advised to update to OFW 4.82.
    How can I go from CFW 3.41 to CFW 4.82?
    it's there any guide?
    Any help would be appreciated.

15. 5
    Shay Yair

Shay Yair Forum Noob

Any chance you can guide me how you did it?
    any tutorial?

16. 3,418
    sandungas

No, this is only required if you want to pass from OFW to CFW and use the ps3xploit installer
    You are already in a CFW, so the installation of a different CFW is very straightforward... is the same procedure explained in the official user guide to install an OFW

The only diferences is you need to remove any disc from the bluray drive (real or virtual, the bd drive needs to be "empty"), also incase you was using some kind of "spoofer" you need to disable it before starting the installation

17. 5
    Shay Yair

Shay Yair Forum Noob

Great. Thank you for your prompt response.
    Just to clarify, if I wish to install Rebug 4.82.2, all i need to do is to download it from the following link:
    https://rebug.me/official-rebug-4-82-2-rex-d-rex-cobra-7-55-toolbox-2-02-16-apr-16th-2018/

Than to update the system via (Settings) > (System Update), (while putting the “REBUG_4.82.2_REX_PS3UPDAT_6eead68f81a66502294fd329d4087106.PUP” on a USB Hard Disk Drive under “PS3/UPDATE”)?

18. 344
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Yes, but rename the file to simply "PS3UPDAT.PUP". :)

19. 457
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

i'm stuck with this setup because the external HDD is also shared with my RGHd xbox 360

20. 3,418
    sandungas

I took the decission of using NTFS lot of time ago (since the first day it was implemented inside the original iris), and overal i dont regret, but sometimes i doubt if it would have been better for me to keep using FAT32
    The point is by using FAT32 you have less dependencies of custom code