Dismiss Notice

PSX-Place.com Announcement:

New Smiley's Added to post editor !!!

PS3 Using PS2 Raw saves from memory card on a PS2 Classics game .VME format?

Discussion in 'PS3Xploit HAN ( PS3 3k / 4k Models)' started by EddieEddie90, May 16, 2018.

1. 70
    EddieEddie90

EddieEddie90 Forum Noob

So the question is:
    In which format are "readable" the saves that come from a physical ps2 memory card? I was raking my mind on how to make them work, but I just can't figure it out.

By the way, the structure that these saves come are as follows:

BASLUS XXXXXX (Where XXXXXX are the digits of the game's code)
    DATA-01
    DATA-02
    icon.sys

Yesterday I tried to import my Silent Hill 2 old save file from my memory card to a VME file but to no avail, the game did not recognize the data.

2. 6,692
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Are you on han?

3. 8,604
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I have a tutorial on encrypting those memory card saves from psu format, but whether raw saves work is rather dubious. ps2 saves follow a file structure unlike psx saves which can be used raw.

EddieEddie90 likes this.
  4. 70
    EddieEddie90

EddieEddie90 Forum Noob

Yes

5. 70
    EddieEddie90

EddieEddie90 Forum Noob

Can I see it? yeah, I heard that ps2 saves from a card usually don't work when ported to other formats or emulators :C

6. 8,604
    pinky

my ps3 tutorials are in my sig. I think that part is in the using cobra saves section close to the bottom. just search for cobra and you'll find it.. I have a second tutorial on injecting saves into the digital memory cards (the ones you create on the xmb), so encrypting them is like one extra step.

edit: I just thought of this, but maybe you need to update the vmc hashes? I've included an app that can do this in the tutorial. tbh, I'm not sure what would happen if you don't do this.

7. 70
    EddieEddie90

EddieEddie90 Forum Noob

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the hashes for?

8. 8,604
    pinky

it should be creating the file structure; after all, all you're really doing is renaming the .ps2 file (an emulator file). it's similar to using dolphin to create a wii memory card. this is if migrating saves, it may be necessary. I actually had to do that in order to fix the hashes in a corrupted card from my actual wii. the saves were fine, but the memory card came out corrupted. I've since integrated those saves into my wii u. that's pretty much it. :-p

EddieEddie90 likes this.
  9. 70
    EddieEddie90

EddieEddie90 Forum Noob

Thanks for the explanation, as for my save, it didn't work. I used PS2 Save builder, hoping that it may work in any format I chose in the converter, and then tried putting the save on the .ps2 file using MyMC. It looked legit, but the game just doesn't recognize the save data.

So I did this instead: downloaded a .cbs PS2 save file (which is a codebreaker save file format, and one of the formats MyMC allows to import) and imported it onto the .ps2 memory card file, and it DID work... I don't know what to do anymore xD maybe I will just throw the towel and start playing all over again.

I wanted to have my Haunting Ground save data on my ps3, since I didn't wanted to go all the way through the game again. I wanted to keep the ending I got back when I first played it two years ago, and play it again to get a different ending. There is no point in downloading a save and importing it to the VMC. Most of them come 100% completed, so... bottom line

Don't try this, it's a waste of time :P

10. 8,604
    pinky

I wasn't sure if it would work. do you have ulaunch.elf on your ps2? that could be the problem. psx memory cards come in blocks up to 128KBs which is 15 blocks of 8KBs, plus a 16th with the names and locations of the remaining blocks. ps2 memory cards, however, are under a file structure while psx saves are not. raw saves may or may not work. you may have to retain that file structure, but I've never actually tried a raw save despite having raw, psu, and .cbs saves of all of my saved games on two hdds. ;) codebreaker is only 3MBs or so, so I have that on a memory card and its elf tied to a button press. that's how I have all .cbs saves. I think those may be comparable to psu, but you still have a problem with just raw saves. :(

EddieEddie90 likes this.
  11. 70
    EddieEddie90

EddieEddie90 Forum Noob

And most likely will never solve, because there are only like two games that I wanted to keep playing with my old saves in hand, in order to get all the endings.

12. 1,345
    Berion

Berion Developer

They all worked but keeping saves in such way You described You have is not wise (because many games using time stamps from mcfs as security check so they must match with time stamps inside saves). PS2 emulator build in into PS2 fw, which support games from store, using encrypting memory card image. So You must copy Your saves to PS2 Memory Card image (with ECC blocks, non-ECC are not supported) and encrypt it.

Use DualMyMC for forging mc image, and use python tool (I forgot name, sorry) to encrypt it.

- - -

If PS2 game doesn't recognize it's save there are two possible reasons:
    • time stamp violation
    • not proper named (GameID, don't be suggested by region name on gamefaqs as most of them are made by idiots)
    - - -

For keeping PS2 saves there are only two ultimate formats: PSU (made i.e by uLE) and PSV (made by PS3). Instead You can always have whole mc image which is also good idea (but waste of space and additional effort to extract/inject saves).

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    EddieEddie90 likes this.
  13. 70
    EddieEddie90

EddieEddie90 Forum Noob

Is there a tutorial on this? I would like to try, but I don't know the python tool you are talking about

14. 8,604
    pinky

do your saves look like this? these are part of mine, folders and all:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit: another possible reason your saves aren't working is the name. ulaunchelf will create a text document with the correct name if the name violates windows' naming rules for files. you have to change the name from within ulaunchelf in order to use the same. tales of destiny 2 is one such game. it's rare to have a game like that, but it's possible.

15. 70
    EddieEddie90

EddieEddie90 Forum Noob

Yes all my saves are in that weird 'format'

You mean the file name, or the game ID?

16. 8,604
    pinky

yes, I believe so. the weird file names are probably JP kana or kanji .

17. 70
    EddieEddie90

EddieEddie90 Forum Noob

But were you able yo use your save files in that format?

18. 8,604
    pinky

I believe that codebreaker uses the game name rather than its id. the id is in hex, so restoring the saves is possible. I've tested .cbs saves before, and they worked without a problem. however, I've never tried a JP save, at least that I can remember. one of those is probably my tales of destiny 2 on the ps2 save which I've played extensively (at Barbatos' final battle). ;) anyway, I've never tried turning that save into a ,cbs, then restoring it. the game name must be in hex somewhere, and it's probably what's used when you look at the game save within the memory card file manager (the official one). I don't know much about soft-modding the ps3 (have a hard mod myself), but you should be able to use ulaunchelf then. I actually bought a green, ps2 memory card recently to backup my boot.elf 's and any saves that happened to be on that ps2 memory card (I backup everything). :-p. you might want to do the same.

19. 70
    EddieEddie90

EddieEddie90 Forum Noob

I actually have all my saves backed up on a special memory card, the thing is, I don't have a PS2 that can run ulaunch.elf (can't read any burned dvds anymore) I got my saves because a friend of mine lend me his console just to backup them via ulaunch.elf

Are the files from a memory card in some format? do they have one? or are they just raw by nature?

20. 8,604
    pinky

there's a file system for ps2 memory cards, not one for psx. I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you were to restore a raw save to an actual memory card as I've never tried. I've never even tried the reverse of my tutorial with .psu . I've only tried with .cbs, and that was successful. that's why I kept those as I backed up all saves as .cbs, .psu, and raw just in case I needed one of them to get it to work restoration-wise.

EddieEddie90 likes this.