Dismiss Notice

PSX-Place.com Announcement:

New Smiley's Added to post editor !!!

WebMAN MOD and the Curse of the 13th Icon

Discussion in 'webMAN MOD' started by LingerFickinGood, Jun 13, 2018.

1. 9
    LingerFickinGood

LingerFickinGood Forum Noob

I must be the only one with a copy of this hard to beat game! :P

Ok, serious now. Here's my problem: I have 16 PS3 games and 16 PS2 games showing up in my WebMAN Mod list in the XMB. When I go into the PS3 folder, the icon of the 13th game in the list never shows up. It looks like it is refreshing to infinity and beyond! Same thing when I go into the PS2 folder. It's not dependent on the game or the custom cover/icon I made. All the other icons/covers show up. If I delete a game from top of either list, the game that used to be the 13th in the list is now the 12th in the list and the icon/cover shows up fine. However, the game that used to be 14th and showing up fine is now the 13th and it's icon/cover never shows up. I hope I've described the behavior clearly.

Most of the time, webman works just fine as far as mounting games goes. However, it does seem less reliable since this started happening. Sometimes I have to reboot the PS3 because webman isn't obeying my commands.

I'm on a fat PS3 with CFW of Rebug 4.81.2 REX and I was using webman mod 1.47.06 when this started happening. I updated to webman mod 1.47.08 tonight in hopes of removing The Curse of the 13th Icon. Fail.

I've even tried deleting the webman.xml and rebooting. I haven't examined the contents of webman.xml yet. I keep forgetting to do that. (I'm assuming webman.xml is where the list of games and their icons is stored and gets parsed when rendering the XMB menu) I suspect I will find some incorrect xml in there. I'll report back on my findings.

EDIT: My assumptions about webman.xml were wrong on both counts. I found the slist.bin and last_game.bin files and deleted them. Rebooted. Refreshed. I can't break the Curse of the 13th Icon! :P

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. 3,967
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer

Home Page:
    Have a look at the /dev_hdd0/xmlhost/game_plugin/mygames.xml , check the 13th entry.

3. 9
    LingerFickinGood

I didn't peer into /dev_hdd0/xmlhost/game_plugin/mygames.xml but I deleted it and rebooted. Issue persists. No problems with the web-list of games using webman. Problem seems to be in the code that displays the icons in the XMB. I'm going to try resizing all of my icons/covers tonight. They're all currently 512x512. I'm going to resize them 200x200 and see if that makes a difference.

4. 3,967
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer

Home Page:
    That mygames.xml is the code that displays the icons on the XMB. its easy to check with a text editor. That is read by the XMB and just works really as its written, unless you have too many items for the XMB to display, then you will get missing icon issues, but that is normally only when you go into the thousands of items (for example HAN Toolbox or XMBPD).

200x200 will be fine for the XMB, that is about all it can display or a little less.

5. 2,036
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

If you decide to convert images to that small sizes use 194x194 because is the accurate size, see here: http://www.psx-place.com/threads/ar...to-use-as-webman-xmb-icons.18292/#post-125849

I mean... the 6 pixels of difference to 200x200 is not worthy... that 6 pixels are not going to give you better image quality and only adds complications (you are forcing XMB to scale them on real time... just because the 200x200 doesnt matches with 194x194)

Edit:
    Anyway... your problem is not related with performance because XMB is only displaying icons for 16 games
    Most probably is that image has some kind of problem
    You can make a simple test to verify this... replace the problematic image temporally by any other of the icons you know that works (from other game, will be displayed duplicated)

6. 9
    LingerFickinGood

I meant the executable code, not the xml. It seems like a memory allocation error. That's why I resized my icons to 300x300. That seems to have fixed the problem (for now).

7. 9
    LingerFickinGood

The problem was not with any one particular image (see original post). I resized my icons to 300x300 and that seems to have fixed the problem for now. I imagine I'll run into the same problem again once I have more than 26ish games in either list. I suspect this was a memory allocation problem.

Of course, I may be responsible for the problem because my icons were larger than the webman code was designed to handle. If I do encounter this problem again, I'll resize the icons to 194x194.

Thanks to all for helping!

8. 2,036
    sandungas

Ok, but for curiosity sake... what webman does is to tell XMB where is located the image... and then XMB renders it
    What i mean is webman doesnt makes any transformation to the images... the responsible is XMB

So the "culprit" of the image size restrictions used by this icons is XMB, that uses PSGL (some kind of repurposing of OpenGL made by sony specific for PlayStation consoles familly)
    I have no idea which rules are needed to follow for PSGL image sizes, i guess there mst be some mention in some SDK
    But what i know for sure is 194x194 should be valid... because are values taken from official firmware... we needed to make some firmware archaeology to find them XD

If someone wants to use other sizes the trick is to apply a multiplyer (or a divider) to 194
    Im sure 97x97 is going to be valid too (divided by 2) ;)
    Is just going to sizes smaller than 194x194 is going to looks like crap because is too tiny... and going to bigger sizes doesnt makes much sense either

9. 9
    LingerFickinGood

Thanks for the info. That's interesting because the official icons displayed for official games aren't 194x194. They aren't even square. They're rectangular. (I'm talking about the ICON0.PNG images included in the PS3GAME folder of every game).

I'm not sure why I started off with 512x512. I think I was thinking about the process of creating packages at the time. I knew it was more pixels than needed for icons but it seemed to work at first and I wasn't sure if I would later want to reuse the same image somewhere else where the extra pixels would matter.

I'll post my icons/covers here when I get home in case anyone wants to use them. (I'll resize them to 194x194 first though). Just my way of saying thanks again.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  10. 9
    LingerFickinGood

I resized a PS3 cover/icon and a PS2 cover/icon and uploaded them to imgur. I tried to post and link them here but I keep getting told my post looks like spam. This happened several times before when I was trying to post. Very frustrating.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    EDIT: I posted the text above first. Then edited it and used some manual bbcode to finally get the images posted.

11. 7,100
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator Developer

You cannot post links yet because your post count is still very low (ie 6). It's a limitation in place to curb down spam issues.
    A few more posts & you will automatically get the permission. ;)

12. 9
    LingerFickinGood

That's good to know! Thanks!

13. 2,036
    sandungas

Looks good, my idea to preserve the original proportions was to add transparent vertical bands at the sides... but your design does the work fine too

As something conceptual... your vertical band at left is not part of the cover so you have full freedom about the design of that band, the console logos are fine, and the black is a bit meh (no offense)

Is ok... but you have some room there for creativity ;)
    While writing this im thinking instead of a black bar could be added some kind of "tab" with rounded corners, and following the design of official icons (with the goal of trying to achieve an image that looks "made by sony" for the XMB)

14. 9
    LingerFickinGood

Yeah, I'm not a graphic designer and wasn't trying to impress anyone. I like them just fine they way they are. My main objective in creating them was to preserve the original proportions of the covers (at least preserve it better than before) and have icons that are visually consistent. I like your ideas though. If I get bored I'll play around with them.