Where to Find and How to Do. (Launching Retro Roms from XMB)

Discussion in 'RetroXMB' started by crashpsycho, Jan 4, 2017.

1. 57
    crashpsycho

crashpsycho Member

Okay so as suggest by bguerville i have downloaded XMBPD mod also done the Retroarch. installed it and found alot of SNES and GBA games that can be installed as PKG which i think is awesome. but there is only a few on there that i like. And i know that i can use emulators like retroarch etc. but i also found online while surfing a super mario bros.pkg(from NES). I have search every known and possible search for how to create or convert SNES/NES to PKG. Im wondering if anyone else knows where to find the true source of how to make these types of files only so retro game(ROMs) to pkg without the use of emulator.

I have also search for any tools pertaining to doing this in the psx scene aldos tools etc. any help would be awesome even i have raw data to work with i dont mind the extra work of building the pkg from rom source

2. 4,034
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    doctorwho05 and crashpsycho like this.
  3. 57
    crashpsycho

crashpsycho Member

4. 4,034
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    To create pkg you need only that app. To play this on ps3 you need only that created pkg, all is included. You don't need any external installation of retroarch to build or play that.

5. 57
    crashpsycho

crashpsycho Member

Thanks this great thanks for releasing it. This will prevent my kids from getting into crap their not supposed to

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

kozarovv and Phil like this.
  6. 5,036
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

I would say (as someone who has done alot with the retroxmb project) that @aldostools version of RetroXMB creator is better solution for today's uses .. Both version needs some updates as new cores have been added. but original RetroXMB linked in first post does not support many cores that is now playable. (As they were not out and with it not being a polished tool due to the leak it did not have a manual way to even edit in new cores.).

The original one is sligthly more limited and was never a polished released (was leaked before polished). Its is a great app and a great project and works fairly well, but i prefer Aldo 's tool because it support more cores then the original (as they were not around when the the original was released) and gives additional function support like DDS manuals (xmb in-game manual) among other things.

I was apart of the original project that was lead by doobz and help a bit (some input and templates) with Aldo's version when i detailed the RetroXMB Lite templates.

RetroPS3 (aka original RetroXMB)
    • Included Cores and Rom in same package, so it does not need RetroArch installed.

RetroXMB Creator (Aldo's tool)
    • (give you options, as you can include the rom in the package or central folder, Also you can use a centeral location for the Cores as well. So if you choose SSNES1000 s the core path, then that is using the Official RetroArch set of cores and that would need RetroArch installed. The idea behind having RetroArch installed to make the roms work is to save space. As the original way with RetroXMB if you had 25 NES roms on your XMB, you actually had 25 of the same emulators installed on your XMB. So this was obviously wasted space, this is where my RetroXMB Lite concept comes into play. Basically RetroXMB Creator will give you a bit more freedom and options for creating your roms while supporting more Libretro Cores (emulators)

He did not create it, he has just uploaded it here.

Doobz aka qooqz was the original creator of the project, then i helped with various aspects as well

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    aldostools, ricardo, kozarovv and 2 others like this.
  7. 3,655
    atreyu187

atreyu187 PSTV Fanboy Extraordinaire Moderator Developer

Lead Veterinary Tech

This +1 and once you see how a PKG is built you can even start creating your own. This is what I did for games I wanted but were missing cores. Just make sure to edit the CFG file to reflect changes in the core etc. Also in @aldostools ps3tools there used to be a large set of premade PMF videos you could access. Been a while since I have done this but maybe he could remind us how this is done.

kozarovv and crashpsycho like this.
  8. 5,036
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

You can edit the retroarch.cfg file and add the path for a new core, but the tool itself does not have the new cores listed.

Either one Should be able to do this to support newer cores, but I am not 100% sure if this works on the old version i have not tried with some of the newer cores, but keep in mind when doing this you will have the NEW UI's for that core only as all that stuff resides within each core

ICON1.PAM (animated icons) can be access within RetroXMB Creator (aldo's). These were created by @Redemp here in the early days of PSX-Place . There is a thread with the links for MANY he created. (both tools support icon1.pam)
    http://www.psx-place.com/threads/retroxmb-icon1-pam-dds-manuals-and-more.338/

atreyu187, kozarovv and crashpsycho like this.
  9. 57
    crashpsycho

crashpsycho Member

Thank you both I will try the older method also because it's only a hand full maybe 2 of games that I would need to create and I understand who the original developer was I only stated the release because it was posted by them

kozarovv and STLcardsWS like this.
  10. 3,655
    atreyu187

atreyu187 PSTV Fanboy Extraordinaire Moderator Developer

Lead Veterinary Tech

Yea wasn't sure if the MediaFire links were still active. And that is what I meant just use another game as a base and extract PKG, edit CFG with Notepad++ for cores not yet supported.

11. 57
    crashpsycho

crashpsycho Member

@kozarovv do you by chance have a working Sega Genesis bios that will work on this tool everyone I've tried no go. Haven't gone to original tool yet since I only have 5 games left

12. 57
    crashpsycho

crashpsycho Member

Nvm
    I just had to rename the BIOS to the one in the tool

13. 4,034
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    If you mean only 16 bit Sega genesis then bios is not needed. About Sega CD and 32x then i'm not even sure that PS3 retroarch can handle it due to dynarec problems, specially old revision that is included there.

Anyway Bios is copyrighted file so I (and other members on this forum) can't help You.

14. 57
    crashpsycho

crashpsycho Member

The tool can handle 32x

kozarovv likes this.
  15. 47
    SedRick

SedRick Member

Hey guys can someone help me out?

I'm going to explain my issue as much as possible.
    A few years ago when i started creating retro pkg's i was using the 'leaked RetroXMB Beta 3'.
    then recently i came across the 'WAFFAHOUSE89' collection and realised my collection was extremely outdated, less pretty, and used wayyy older cores..:

http://www.nextgenupdate.com/forums...troxmb-pkg-collection-cfw-ps3-required-4.html

So then i came across the famous Aldo's 'RetroXMB creator 1.7' which I'm guessing is what waffahouse used to create his roms..?

I've Followed STLcardsWS Tutorial:
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/f346/retroxmb-creator-guide-wip-122678/
    Which states that i need to install retroarch 1.0.0.2 + retroxmb edition 1.0.0.2 - which i have done.
    waffahouse roms work fine with this installed but if i try to create a rom.pkg using retroxmb creator, my games boot to black screen and crash.
    What I'm trying to do is make the PKG's with the ROM inside and have them boot using the latest cores with the same amount of pics as the waffahouse collection does (with the L3+R3 backgrounds as well).

(i tried moving the cores from retroarch 1.0.0.2 into the retroXMB beta 3 program and renaming them the same as the old ones, creating a pkg then going into multiman MMOS and then swapping the 'main-menu_1080p.png' with my own one but it corrupts the game)

My questions are firstly how can i build my roms the same as the waffahouse collection?
    and How do i go about updating retroarch? do i even need to update it?
    i know theres a retroarch 1.3.6+ beta release, but will the retroXMB edition still work with it?
    Thanks in advance

Rogero 4.46 cobra

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  16. 57
    crashpsycho

crashpsycho Member

I have used to this to the extent of putting the smaller game icon and then the enlarged picture in the bottom right I haven't tested background or audio but it's pretty self explanatory once you start the program it even includes a view of what it will look so far I've created NES,SEGA,SNES content and they have all worked some may require bios which you will have to find on your own I'll do another test with this tool later and include what I haven't tried and see how it goes but for the most part this tool does it all without the requirement of RetroArch on those 3 game system Roms mentioned

SedRick likes this.
  17. 57
    crashpsycho

crashpsycho Member

Okay so after further checking out and trying this tool more i was able to find out that you can achieve the same as waffahouse retroxmb also in the folder from the last link i posted will have all the same files i used to build a test mario bros the main tools is gonna be of course retroxmb leaked that was posted on this thread with the original link and the AT9&AT3 converter tool https://www.psxhax.com/threads/bmk-at9-at3-converter-v2-for-ps3-psp-ps-vita-by-benmitnick.1223/ by bentmitnick from psxhacks

folder link
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1FkjrCTJm3aNXVfRVpWNGV5YUU?usp=sharing

good luck

SedRick likes this.
  18. 47
    SedRick

SedRick Member

Did you get the L3 + R3 menu to have a background as well? Also does it run with SNES9x 1.52.4?

(sorry for limited reply, i was at work)

I have already converted all the ROM audio to .at3, have all the icon and pics ready.
    just tried this:
    Used RetroXMB Beta 3 (with the cores from retroarch 1.0.0.2 renamed and placed in the 'emulator_cores' folder) to create a super metroid = 11MB, Runs on SNES9x 1.52.4 - retroarch 1.0.0.2 but has no main_menu background (L3+R3)

And tried using RetroXMB Creator 1.7 with default cores path = 7.4MB, booting returns me to XMB.

Installed waffahouse build of super metroid = 13MB = Runs on SNES9x 1.52.4 - retroarch 1.0.0.2 and has main_menu Background (L3+R3)

Checked retroarch.cfg of all 3 PKG's and saw this in RetroXMB creator:
    libretro_path = "/dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/RetroXMB/1.0.0.2/RetroXMB/1.0.0.2/snes9x_next_libretro_ps3.SELF"

So i tried again with this core path:
    libretro_path = "/dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/RetroXMB/1.0.0.2/snes9x_next_libretro_ps3.SELF"
    Booting the ROM now crashes the playstation..

If RetroXMB beta 3 had the option to change the background for L3+R3:
    (RETROXMB 1.7\RXSNE0001\USRDIR\cores\borders\Menu\main-menu_1080p.png)
    Then it would be perfect..

(i dont mind every pkg having its own core)

Am i being retarded or....?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017 at 11:14 AM
  19. 57
    crashpsycho

crashpsycho Member

When you run the program and add the background it will auto load everything the XMB game skin background and music without the toggle being needed

20. 47
    SedRick

SedRick Member

Are you talking about RetroXMB Creator? pkg's i build with it wont work, i understand how to use it and the pkg's would be the same as waffas (i think) if they would actually boot.. i was going to ask if it was a firmware issue (im on regero 4.46 cobra) but if that was the case then waffas ones wouldnt work..