Where to Find and How to Do. (Launching Retro Roms from XMB)

Discussion in 'RetroXMB' started by crashpsycho, Jan 4, 2017.

1. 80
    crashpsycho

crashpsycho Member

It's most likely firmware related but I could be wrong I am on ferrox 4.81 cobra with no issues

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

2. 5,719
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Are you using RetroXMB Creator or the tool in the first post.

If using RetroXMB Creator, It depends on your settings.
    You can post the RetroArch.cfg file of a problem rom and i could better advise you.

You may just need RetroArch Installed.

Edit: basically you just need to verify the paths that are often related to most issues.

Rom path
    core path

Being the most important,
    Have to verify the rom path (if incorrect you get just booted to RetroArch main menu)
    Have to verify core path:( if core not on your PS3 in that location, then it wont even boot to any retroarch menu or your game.

When working correctly should ll boot to game directly from XMB. .

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    DeViL303 and crashpsycho like this.
  3. 69
    SedRick

SedRick Member

The Tool in the first post uses version 9.9 of Retroarch and an old core for SNES9x..
    I extracted the cores from Retroarch v1.0.0.2 and placed them in the 'emulator_cores' folder so that the pkg's run on a newer version/cores but Beta 3 doesn't give the option to add a 'main-menu_1080p.png' (the in-game L3+R3 Background OR 'skin' in RetroXMB Creator).

So i'm using aldos retroxmb creator 1.7 because it does give you the option but i cant get the packages to boot..
    Anyway here's the retroarch.cfg for both:
    The WAFFA one that works, and the Retroxmb creator one that i built that doesn't boot

Attached Files:

4. 5,719
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

1.) Adding the skin is easy, all you have to do is manually configure the path n the retroarch.cfg (see below) text file that is each created package, There is an option for that. Just look for that path and you can A store it anywhere and replace that location, or simply move anyone to where that one is located and use the path that is already defined.

From your retroXMB creator cfg file:
    Okay this is more then likely your issue.
    I believe all my links went dowm, i have reupped it a few times, but this is setup to use the RetroXMB Edition of RetroArch. Basically all that was doing is keeping the official cores separate from the RetroXMB cores., Just in-case future retroarch updates broke the rom launching .. But within RetroXMB Creator there is an option to toggle these options of using that path or the official path (Clicking on blue square in upper right corner of the tool i believe will give you that option to change for future created ones).

Ones that are made just change to in the CFG file
    libretro_path = "/dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/snes9x_next_libretro_ps3.SELF"
    (Which is the official path to that RetroArch Core, so you need RetroArch installed (most version should work) .)

Or you can copy the cores from retroarch and create this folder yourself and place the retroarch cores there will work (that is basically the RetroXMB Edition you are missing)
    libretro_path = "/dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/RetroXMB/1.0.0.2/snes9x_next_libretro_ps3.SELF"

I need to do some work on this project and document some stuff .. :)

Death_Dealer and DeViL303 like this.
  5. 69
    SedRick

SedRick Member

Ok i'm not sure i understand the problem entirely.
    i just went to build another package, pressed the blue square, changed the core path to:
    /dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/ but the retroarch.cfg came out the same as before (libretro_path = "/dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/RetroXMB/1.0.0.2/snes9x_next_libretro_ps3.SELF")
    so i edited the libretro path back to:
    libretro_path = "/dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/snes9x_next_libretro_ps3.SELF"
    and repacked it using 'make pkg' in the right click context menu and it still crashes the playstation.

I don't understand why waffa's pkg's work with the same retroarch.cfg as the ones i build but mine don't..

On my PS3 i have Retroarch 1.0.0.2 AND the RetroXMB Edition installed.
    The directory for retroarch has both paths and 2 sets of each core:
    /dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/RetroXMB/1.0.0.2/snes9x_next_libretro_ps3.SELF
    and
    /dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/snes9x_next_libretro_ps3.SELF

Thanks for your patience with me

6. 69
    SedRick

SedRick Member

Still having no luck with this... think il try an older version of retroxmb creator if i can find one..

GRRRR not working

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2017
  7. 4,530
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Sorry I'm little lost.. What is exactly not working?

Edit: Only difference I see in Your and WAFFA files, are that he is using Super MagiCom backup. And of course rom path.. Are You sure that your file should have sfc extension?
    Also you should know that all paths are case sensitive.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  8. 69
    SedRick

SedRick Member

Basically packages I create with retroxmb creator crash my PS.
    Your kidding?! All this time trying to figure it out and it's just because the .sfc isn't .SFC? omg il give this a go when I get home. Yea sfc should be right
    Thanks

9. 5,719
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Depends on the core used, some allow for upper and lower case extensions so do not. Always worth a shot, but if SAME ROM boots in RetroArch by normal means you can rule out any issue with the rom. Which any problem roms you always see if it boots in RetroArch itself as if it does not then it will not in RetroXMB. RetroXMB has no special requirements for case sensitivity it just whatever RetroArch likes and does not. Every core is a bit different which makes the project very complex

Crash how? and when? that info is important

Black screen? error code?
    Back to the XMB? or have to restart PS3 .

You can post the pkg (if roms is in the package just remove the rom from it and i can take a look at it). At times i have noticed Retro XMB creator will not add the USRDIR files on some occasions .usually when doing mass pkgs or editing some things and making multiple pkgs of the same thing.

I would try the rom that works with Retro XMB creator. Can;t compare the two and say one works and the other does not when they are not the same exact rom. Just creates a new variable when troubleshooting that is not needed.

libretro_rom_path = "/dev_hdd0/game/RXSNE0001/USRDIR/cores/roms/Super Metroid.sfc"
    libretro_rom_path = "/dev_hdd0/game/RXSNE0050/USRDIR/cores/roms/Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc"

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  10. 69
    SedRick

SedRick Member

I boot the rom from the XMB and it crashes and have to reset the ps3. Il try the capital extension tomorrow and let you know

11. 69
    SedRick

SedRick Member

Right so RetroXMB creator doesn't read capital extensions so that wasn't it (im guessing you meant lower case sensitive)
    Here's a zip file of both mine and waffa's.
    I used the same exact rom (extracted from waffa's) and it still crashes the PlayStation.

I have removed the ROMS:
    ........... file is too big -_-

Is there another way i can get the files to you?

Attached Files:

12. 69
    SedRick

SedRick Member

Can someone please help?
    Still cant make roms with retro xmb creator, honestly have no idea what im doing wrong.. every rom i create boots to a black screen.

13. 4,530
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Any single rom? Or that one case mentioned above?

Edit: Sorry I'm blind...

14. 4,530
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
  15. 69
    SedRick

SedRick Member

yea that one works fine, i updated the cores within the program with the ones in 'Retro XMB 1.0.0.2.pkg' so that its more up to date.
    But that program doesn't allow you to change the Background when you click L3+R3 in game.
    Any idea how to do this?

i have the waffahouse collection but i want to add my roms that are missing from the collection but its annoying that my ones are the only ones without the background.

16. 5,719
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Put background file anywhere (might have to be a .png but not 100% on that anymore) on PS3 internal or external should work fine and you can edit the path manulay in the Retroarch.cfg (with a txt editor) with the location where you placed the background. The CFG file in your each rom's installation folder.
    I forget the exact option, but its "Menu background" or something close to that. (in the retroarch.cfg ) file

PM me one your packages and i will see what is the issue is.

17. 69
    SedRick

SedRick Member

[QUOTE="STLcardsWS,
    PM me one your packages and i will see what is the issue is.[/QUOTE]

It wont let me upload any files to you. I've extracted one of Waffa's pkg's and rebuilt it with Retroxmb creator and it doesn't work. i have the files ready for you to compare but how would you like them and how shall i send them?

With 'retro xmb beta 3' i built a rom then replaced the 'main-menu_1080p.png' with the one i want in there but that doesn't work either.

Thanks for everyone's help by the way, i really appreciate it.
    Hate having a tech issue stuck in my mind..

18. 5,719
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

post all the files excluding the rom

19. 4,530
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Upload zipped files to any site like mediafire, mega, sedspace. And post link here, of course all files excluding rom.

20. 69
    SedRick

SedRick Member