Why it is so fecking hard to find a genuine Sony DS3?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Vedita BR, Jan 21, 2019.

1. 38
    Vedita BR

Vedita BR Forum Noob

Caregiver, student and gamer?
    Home Page:
    I want t buy a PS3 controller, Sony, not crappy fake ones. I already tried but a I got a fake and returned in the next day after i received it and few hours later the refund was there on my site Wallet. What surprises me is that PS2 controllers are much easier to find... what hell is happening? If i cant find a Sony one, which brand should i get, i wanted at least it had pressure sensitivity buttons and to be compatible with PCSX2 and OPL...

2. 631
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Graphic Designer
    Can´t compare 155 Million to 83 Million, beyond that Genuine PlayStation3 Controllers brand new, you wont find them anymore, Sony discontinued them in 2014, same year as the console.

Even a used DS3 can fetch a high-price, my original 2007 SIXAXIS controller, its almost ready to retire, analog stick feels loose, and i am no mood to solder a new one, so ive decided to search for a Genuine DualShock 3, and to my surprise, the can achive 60€ on the used market, which i find it ridiculous, since a DS4 can be found used at 20€, but if i had to guess, it has to do with supply and demand, demand for the DS3 its high and supply is short.

Vedita BR likes this.
  3. 38
    Vedita BR

Vedita BR Forum Noob

Home Page:
    the another attempt just arrived this morning. It looks better than the previous one, but it is fake, has the blue battery and doesnt have the Sony grip feeling... I will see if I can use this with Open PS2 Loader or in PC...

It is detected as another device in Windows Device Manager
    [​IMG]
    Could I use this as a Xbox 360 controller atleast?

4. 1,015
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    If you cannot find a decent PS3 original controller this one is an awesome alternative:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GameSir-G4...s+controller&refinements=p_76:419158031&psc=1

I used to have one, also try looking for GioTek Ps3 controllers, they are awesome as well as they use decent 2.4GHz frequency. The official controllers have a slight lag on the input of the buttons. But these don't.

PS3 Official: Press button > lag > input
    2.4GHz controllers: Press Button > no lag > input

I will admit that this really is only an advantage when playing online and you really only get a split seconds advantage over people who are not using controllers with the same decent frequency but on games like BO2 its a massive advantage. Plus it also depends on you internet connection lol.

As naked snake says the chances of finding brand new controllers is really hard now since the end of production of the PS3. To be honest the best place to possibly find a brand new one would be Japan.

Zazenora likes this.
  5. 1,015
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

Try setting the controller setting on the app to x-input, meaning they will look for raw input data from a controller.

A 360 controller should work on anything on a PC, again if it not working properly then try messing about with the controller input types in the apps settings.

Took me a while to get my DS3 to work playing Zelda and GoldenEye on RetroArch for the PC.

Also sometimes on PC bluetooth controllers need its own BT adapter and drivers, even if your PC has bluetooth built in.

6. 65
    jcorrea

jcorrea PSX-Place Supporter

Developer
    Try to get bundles, with games include, like this:
    https://www.waz.com.br/ps3-uncharte...d-1-e-2-controle-dualshock-3-preto-box-html/p

I bought my two DS3 this way. If you prefer, you can try to find Mexican ones (model CECHZC2M, here in Brazil, they are the most of genuines).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  7. 19
    RikuNoctis

RikuNoctis Forum Noob

Have you tried Amazon.jp?

Sure, they are a bit pricey, but they are original controllers. I have bought 2 for myself and around 4 as gifts for some friends that couldn't find legit ones where we live and they work perfectly after all these years (at least mine does).

Vedita BR likes this.
  8. 298
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    I paid nearly $50 for my refurbished PS3 controller last year...
    This thread made me remember why I should try to put a little more effort in taking care of it and try to stock up on a couple extras for later on..
    In my area it's pretty common to still find a couple refurbished controllers in repair shops, I also still see some decent deals on FB around here on those "Swap Shop" groups. Gotta be careful with those though.

Cypher_CG89 likes this.
  9. 73
    mndx

mndx Member

Yeah i know your pain, a genuine one goes for 60 eu each and is usually sold in small electronics shops here near amsterdam. For the same price i can score 3 brand new DS4's. If your board is still functioning there's some hope:
    I bought replica's from hong kong just for the shell and buttons/sticks. Used the board, battery and silicone pads from my original ''unplayable or damaged'' controllers....most of the time it was just loose analog sticks that caused problems. So buy damaged ones and refurbish them yourself is my advice.

10. 9,744
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I once bought fake wii u pro controller. the dead giveaways were the box (slightly smaller) and the dpad. you might want to look for those sorts of things. :)

11. 3,403
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

If you have a decent solder iron, a few practise (and a solder pump) you should consider buying replacement sticks
    Are just 6€ or so... and after replacing them you have a dualshock3 that feels like new
    Actually, at the times of PS2 i was making a ghetto trick pretty cool, because i have a box with 10 or 15 DS2
    The trick is to take the right sticks (that uses to be in good condition) and solder them in a board
    I made this with DS3 too, heheh (but the DS3 stick is diffrent geometry than DS2, are not compatibles)

Btw, there are some DS3 models that have better electronics than DS4
    The quality of the electronics in DS3 along time is like a curve with a belly... the best ones are in the middle (matching with PS3 slims)... are the ones printed in the circuit board as v4 or v5 if i remember right
    If you have one of that models... really dont throw to the trash bin, it worths a try to repair it by replacing the sticks

-----------
    I did read good comments aboout the "gamesir" brand btw

12. 115
    Unfamed

Unfamed Member

As a workaround you can use a Mayflash Magic-NS and a DS4, almost everything should work with this, except Sixaxis and turn on the PS3 with the PS button

13. 1,015
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

Got 3 DS3 controller's them
    Also for using DS3/DS4 controllers on Windows you might want to use this:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/scptoolkit.mirror/

Its a tool kit to install the drivers needed on to convert and run the input of the DS3/4 controllers to x-input for windows, also it will install the bluetooth drivers needed but use a separate BT dongle if your PC has built in BT as this will override the standard windows BT drivers and you won't be able to connect any other BT device to the PC other than the controllers. Also this removes the pairing with the PS3 as well so the controller has to be reset with the rest button on the underside of the PAD before a PS3 will use it again, and then you will loose the pairing with the PC so the drivers have to be installed again. I use a spare DS3 controller on the PC and one for each of my 3 PS3's so there no faff on with them.

Using the usb cable with the controllers will override the usb drivers on the usb port you plug the controller into, so in other words this app sets up dedicated USB ports and BT for these controllers, up to 4 controllers max is supported. And also has pressure sensitive input and an app to test all buttons are recognised and that the pressure sensitive nature of the buttons is also recognised and is working correctly, custom button mapping, diagnostic's of the controllers.

This also lets you install RETRO controllers as well but i have never tested it yet, my retro consoles are staying in there boxes and so are the controllers lol.

Zazenora likes this.
  14. 38
    Vedita BR

Vedita BR Forum Noob

Home Page:
    I got one, its original but is faulty. DPad left and down have problems. It seems that part that goes between DPad buttons and the rubber is missing...

Attached Files:

sandungas likes this.
  15. 38
    Vedita BR

Vedita BR Forum Noob

Home Page:
    The missing part... This is from Dualshock 2

Attached Files:

16. 20
    tinostar91

tinostar91 Forum Noob

Not really a good recommendation as finding replacement sticks without huge deadzones is nigh impossible

17. 631
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Graphic Designer
    Hell, yesterday i got a Original Sony DS3 brand new, for 1€ at a yard sale, best deal of 2019,was a bit dusty though :D

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

pinky and Cypher_CG89 like this.
  18. 3,403
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I think this is a myth, the deadzones exists in the officials sticks too, if you look at the parts patiently there are only 2 things that could cause deadzones

One is the geometry of the mobile parts... and this is the same in officials and clones, is not so hard to make a perfect clone of that parts using the same plastic materials... the problem of deadzones appears with the use, because all the mobile parts has a friction so they "loses" the original geometry

The other posible cause of deadzones is the potentiometers... but there are some dualshock3 boards (like the MSU_VX5 Vedita BR bought... good caught btw) that have potentiometers with 4 pins
    That potentiometers with 4 pins are a bit special, are sealed (so the dust cant enter inside the potentiometer), and work with magnet fields (so there is no friction), and have a dual reversed circuit to calculate the position of the stick with a lot of precission
    So basically... this potentiometers with 4 pins are undestructables... if at some point you buy clone replacement sticks with potentiometers of 4 pins made with bad quality you can take the "old" potentiometers and assemble them in the new clone sticks

Coldheart2236 likes this.
  19. 1,015
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

Now that's a bargin.... :eek::D

20. 167
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    I got my Slim for 40$ 120GB HDD, Genuine legit DS3, HDMI cord and Black Ops 2. Pretty good buy. Although I dont play CoD and I have now lost it somewhere in my room:-p