PS2 wLaunchELF Release Thread

Discussion in 'PS2 Homebrew' started by sp193, May 10, 2017.

1. 248
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I and @Tupakaveli have the same HDD size (2tb).
    ...Well, actually Ule 4.42d freeze the Ps2 sometimes, but it's very rare. Aside that never failed a copy or corrupt something to me. It doesn't correctly read my 2tb HDD size, btw it perfectly list all my games and I can copy files to/from the HDD accessing hdd0 from the filebrowser and never had a single problem. Btw I'm planning to update my FMCB installation, just waiting to find some time.

Anyway I noticed one thing about Ule HDD manager. With my main HDD (2tb) I could load the HDL game info previously. But now, since a while it seems to not work.
    It shows up a error message similar to this one when I press square button on a game's partition:

In the box remain the write "info not loaded". Maybe it's something related to the number of partitions, 'cause with this same HDD (but some installed games ago...) this function worked flawlessy with every Ule version.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  2. 573
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    1100 games? So you likely have over 2000 partitions. :eek:
    Anyway, I increased the maximum number of partitions (as in, installations, not individual partitions) to 1400. Ideally, it should dynamically allocate memory so that the unused slots will not be just sitting around, but LaunchELF just wasn't made for it.

I have updated LaunchELF from FMCB.

On a side note, I must say that I don't know what's with the strange length limits that were requested from LaunchELF's keyboard. I found the magic number of 36 very common, but these parameters don't even work because the keyboard is internally limited to 33 characters in length. 36 was also used for HDD partitions, even though partition names can only be 32-characters in length.

It's not about freezing or not. It's whether it is doing the right thing. We don't get a few hundred commits to fix bugs every year within the SDK and other projects, for no reason.
    I know that the old PFS driver is also bugged, as pasting files can corrupt partitions on the HDD.

I regret that I could not make the SDK perfect with every release, along with LaunchELF's own code. I might be the only one actively developing them or something, as most solutions only come from me. The most recently-fixed bug in USBHDFSD was introduced in 2014, when I tried to extend USBHDFSD to support disks up to 2TB in capacity.

Then you do not have the same problem as @Tupakaveli. Either the planets lined up for you or you just don't have more than 500 titles installed. It is a fact that LaunchELF lacked the necessary limit on the partitions it will record, so it always corrupted data after the partition list.

I didn't realize that was an error message. :dejection:
    The message meant that the HdlGetGameInfo() function returned a non-zero (error) value, but the value looks very strange too (not how people usually indicate errors). It might be this line, but it is hard to see what did not work.

I did try pressing the SQUARE button yesterday and it was working, but my HDD is a 80GB disk with only a handful of games installed. If your game is higher up the disk (>= 1TB), maybe the LaunchELF hdl_info module has problems with using a signed integer (2^31 x 512 = 1TB). Or there is some other 15-year old bug/limitation we're not aware of, like the IOP running out of memory because of the number of partitions you have (unlike HDD.IRX, this thing tries to list all partitions on its own).

I haven't changed that module. In fact, the log on Github shows that it hasn't been really updated since LaunchELF v4.01 (2006-09-01). Maybe it's better to retire this module, which does things without HDD.IRX too. I can replace its functionality with the driver from HDLGameInstaller, with other functions implemented with functionality from HDD.IRX itself.

uyjulian, svotib, Peppe90 and 2 others like this.
  3. 113
    Tupakaveli

Tupakaveli VIP PSX-Place Supporter

I noticed when I had a look at the latest commit, much appreciated.

Thanks for all the updates and bug fixes :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    TnA and sp193 like this.
  4. 556
    TnA

TnA Member

THX for the update!

5. 248
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Indeed I've 409 games at the moment. I often Mount my iHDD VMCs for copy gamesaves and never had a corruption problem on my 2tb HDD. Maybe it works well with my configuration or I was just lucky…

Yes, it must be a problem that happen once exceeded a certain number of games/partitions, 'cause I could correctly load the HDL game infos before, with this same 2tb HDD (but with some less games installed).

Tags: