OpenPS2Loader is a front-end PS2-game-ISO launcher, and Elf/App launcher, a Virtual Memory Card (VMC) creator/manager, with CoverArt/Background display ability, and sooo much more.
This is an older CHILDPROOF version which also allows compatibility with homebrew which no longer works on current OPL versions.
Works with HDD, USB, ETH (SMB), and MC.
Generally, once set up correctly you wont need anything else to play any game or emulator in your collection... as well as launch most apps from the very handy APPS page.
==== Version 0.8 ====
* secure authentication for the SMB module (to enable security and write access)
* various SMB tweaks (NBSS keep-alive, small ingame speed-up)
* improved NAS support for more devices (WD MyBook, Digitus NAS, ...)
* added an embedded HDLServer into OPL to install HDD games
* various debugging output option (to help debug failing games)
* add compatibility for new external USB HDD with 1k/2k/4k cluster file
* add full compatibility for old PS2 consoles (10k JAP)
* ISO format added for USB too (still there is the 4Gb file limit, which is not present on SMB)
* new compatibility modes
* childproof mode (settings are locked)
* alternate startup mode, for loading/saving configuration files from USB and HDD (no need for MC in this case)
* added new menu to launch external ELF applications
* added VMC (Virtual Memory Card) support
* improved general compatibility (many specific games now working for the first time)
* new multi-threaded and redesigned GUI
* support for Cover, Icon and Background Art
* skinnable interface using theme
* added "rename" and "delete" functionalities for games lists
==== Version 0.7 ====
* Improved network startups and various fixes
* Added internal HDD support (HDL format)
* Added the ability to choose the default menu (USB, NET, HDD games)
* Added the ability to use a valid disc ID for online games
* Added a fix for modchip freezing (maybe not all modchips)
* Many new game compatibility fixes
* Added IGR (In Game Reset) with a disable per game option
* Added Alphabetical Sorting
* Changed Settings categories
* Added page scrolling (R1/L1)
* Added support for user language files
* Network support added for PS3
* Zipped Theme support
* Added PCMCIA support for the 18K
==== Version 0.6 ====
* Switched to whole new IOP core
* Changed some compatibility modes effect
* Added compatibility for DVD9 layer1
* Improved overall speed for both SMB/USB
* Support for more embedded NAS devices
* Support for multiple partitions
==== Version 0.5 ====
* Added compatibility modes
* isofs/cdvdman now use disc type
* cdvdman now has streams
* Added network support
* Static interface available
* Added language support
* It works in PS3 with PS2 emulation by software
==== Version 0.41 ====
* Added theme support
* Now uses latest usb driver from svn
==== Version 0.4 ====
* New interface
* Core and drivers 100% open source
==== Version 0.3 ====
* Discontinued (open usb loader starts)
==== Version 0.2b ====
* It uses a embedded free USBD module.
* Select video mode
==== Version 0.2 ====
* Replace USB Advance's reset function for a reset using "rom0:UDNL rom0:EELOADCNF" as argument.
* It works in PS3 with PS2 emulation by software
==== Version 0.1 ====
* Replaces ExtraeModulo() function instead of run after that.
==== Version 0.0 ====
* Initial version
OPL uses the same directory tree structure across HDD, SMB, and
USB modes ...
--- "CD" (for games on CD media - i.e. blue-bottom discs)
--- "DVD (for DVD5 images; DVD9 images on USB must be split)
--- "VMC" (for 8MB Virtual Memory Card images)
--- "CFG" (for saving per-game configuation files)
--- "ART" (for box and disc art images)
--- "THM" (for themes support)
Game files on USB must be perfectly defragmented either file by file or by whole drive, and Dual Layer DVD9 images must be split to avoid the 4GB limitations of the FAT32 file system. We recommend Power Defragmenter for best defragging results, and our own comman line tool iso2usbld to convert or split games into USB Advance/Extreme format ...
Other utilities are: USBUtil 2.0, USB Extreme installer or USB Insane.
For loading games by SMB protocol you need to share a folder (ex: PS2SMB) on the host machine or NAS device and make sure that it has full read and write permissions. USB Advance/Extreme format is optional - *.ISO images are supported using the folder structure above with the added bonus that DVD9 images don't have to be split if your SMB device uses the NTFS or EXT3/4 file system.
For PS2, 48-bit LBA internal HDDs up to 1TB are supported. They have to be formatted with either WINHIIP or uLaunch. From there, use uLaunch to make a partition (rec. minumum of 2GB) named "OPL". If OPL detects this partition at start up, it'll automatically create the above directory structure. Use it to migrate ART, THEMES, CFGs, VMCs, etc. off your MC or USB stick to the internal HDD and free up space on those devices.
To launch OPL, you can use any of the existing methods for loading an executable elf.
On PS3, you need an original SwapMagic 3.6+ or 3.8 disc (at the moment there aren't any other options). The steps for loading OPL on a PS3 are:
1. Rename OPNPS2LD.ELF to SMBOOT0.ELF
2. Make a folder in root of USB device called SWAPMAGIC and copy
SMBOOT0.ELF to it.
3. Launch SwapMagic in PS3 and press UP+L1 then Open PS2 Loader should start.
There are 4 forms for launching elfs in SwapMagic.
SMBOOT0.ELF = UP + L1
SMBOOT1.ELF = UP + L2
SMBOOT2.ELF = UP + R1
SMBOOT3.ELF = UP + R2
- OPL Development Team -
(as of right now listed in current stable version 0.9.3)
... and the anonymous ...
PS2 OPL 0.8 (CHILDPROOF) Boot from APPS Menu for OLDER Emulators 2016-09-29
C64/Doom/ScummVM/TG16= Require 0.9.3 APPS>0.8 APPS -OPL Development Team (c. Ifcaro & jimmikaelkael)