PS3 2 Player Pong Initial Release

This demo is a game of pong where you play agianst a friend.

1. 7,681
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    Xx11xx22xX, Zazenora, jolek and 3 others like this.
  2. 306
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    I really love Pong. Not so much because it's a nostalgic classic, but because this game alone can potentially expand your mind in learning programming for game development. My first "Finished" project was a Pong clone made using JavaScript. (As is probably the case with alot of people, using different languages.) This game alone gave me the confidence I needed to continue forward with furthering my skills as a game developer.
    I began with using engines such as RPG Maker, which is great for anyone with no prior knowledge that is looking to just create a storyline, characters, quests, and worlds. You'll quickly find however that you're constrained to the limits of the engine, and be hungry for more control.
    I'm more of a graphic designer than a full-fledged game developer (by a long shot at that), but just getting my feet wet by creating a Pong clone helped me get over the steep learning curve that one will experience when starting out learning to code. You'll also find that at the top of that steep curve, just leads to more steeper curves, and so on, however that feeling you get when you finish a project, whether it's an original or a clone, will stick with you going forward.
    When I first started looking into programming, I thought there was no way in hell I'd ever be able to learn even the simplest concepts. It can be daunting with all of the cryptic nonsense you first see. I never did well in school with math, and that was definitely weighing heavily on my decision to keep at it. I actually failed most of my math classes (Algebra might as well been quantum physics for me at the time...) in highschool, and barely graduated because of this.
    While there is some math involved, you definitely don't have to be a genius. By learning some of the most basic concepts of programming, it's actually helped me be able to go back and look at some of the subjects I initially had problems with, and learn it in a new light. It's just a matter of how you perceive something, not so much about your aptitude for the subject. Everyone has the potential to learn things that they may have originally thought to be beyond them. A lot of people trick themselves into believing that they aren't as smart as they could potentially be, and I blame that mainly on the way the education system works. (Getting good grades on tests helps ones psyche if they do well, but those that fail tests constantly will feel as though they're just not as lucky or have the aptitude to learn something. This will put up fake barriers in one's mind that can follow them the rest of their lives.) That's another subject for another time though.

If anyone happens to read this and has an interest in learnining computer programming, be it for video games or anything else, here is are some great places to get you started:

CS50 - Introduction to Computer Science
    A free online course to help people get a better understand about what exactly
    computer programming is. You'll also learn some of the most basic concepts that
    can be applied to just about every project you work on.
    It also gives you the knowledge you need to solve problems in a systematic fashion,
    and learn what algorithms are and how they can be used as tools to do alot of
    the "math" for you, in whatever situation you may find yourself working on.

I highly recommend anyone interested to start here before jumping straight into
    programming. This course isn't really about game development, but more about the
    wider programming environment as a whole. (whether it be for a career or a hobby.)
    This can definitely help lower that steep learning curve that's ahead of you.

Codecademy
    This is another great resource. Here you will find all of the basic concepts and terms that
    are discussed in CS50, in a more class-like setting.
    Here, you will have the chance to solve specific problems,
    and teaches you that making errors isn't exactly a bad thing.
    One of the biggest things I took away from this course was debugging,
    making a mistake and learning how to go back and "check your work",
    giving you enough space to test out various methods
    and see the end result.
    This is also a great learning environment that doesn't require
    installing/setting up an IDE, which can be a daunting task all on it's own.
    (Depending on the programming language you are using. There's plenty you can use with just a web-browser.)
    There are plenty of resources online besides these for people to use and learn with, these are just 2 specific examples that helped me out tremendously.
    This post went from being a nostalgic remembrance about Pong to an introductory tutorial on programming. (Which I apologize for going WAY off topic in this instance.)
    I just got a random urge to share a little information for someone interested to randomly find lol. I'd gladly move this post somewhere else should it be found to better suited.

Xx11xx22xX and clayson like this.