4.82 OFW NOR flasher problem

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Satman, Oct 15, 2019.

1. 6
    Satman

Satman Forum Noob

Hi guys, hope you can help, trying to exploit my PS3 slim on 4.82 OFW, exploit ran and works ok, showing successful, then move on to NOR patching and it just never completes. Have waited and waited and even left overnight and the PS3 just shuts down without completing the patch.

Have tried on via USB and also on via HDD, and getting the same problem. I've got the flash_482.hex in the USB root and still named as they were downloaded (should these be changed?).

I've installed 4.82 OFW a few times to make sure, done all the browser clearing etc, and the PS3 meets all the criteria of flashing to work.

Hosting via miniweb, and direct LAN connection from PC to PS3

What am i doing wrong ?

Cheers

2. 151
    Coro

Coro Member

if you are using newest flasher then you should be on hfw 4.85. install hfw twice before flashing. if cant install second time from xmb try installing from recovery. dump first, check dump is good, then flash. check dump again before restart.

if you do upgrade make sure use 485 flash file. good luck.

3. 6
    Satman

Satman Forum Noob

Hi I was using the flasher html tool for 4.82 via a mini web host locally. Will try the second load form recovery. Can I just ask does the flash.hex file need to be renamed or should it stay as flash_482.hex etc?

Thanks for your help.

4. 1,354
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

You're probably better off installing HFW 4.85.1 and then using flash_485.hex using the latest supported flash writer. You also no longer need to use a local web server, although it's what I used when I jailbroke my PS3 at the beginning of last year.

Edit: For 4.82 the file should just be named "flsh.hex" and have the MD5 of 8E156C99101BF36EC3EDB832982AE46D which should be verified only when flsh.hex is on the root of the USB drive. See the following thread for jailbreaking on 4.82, although it can be done just as easily on 4.85 now.

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/p...tware-flash-writer-nor-dumper-released.15500/

5. 6
    Satman

Satman Forum Noob

Hi tried all of that, installed my 4.85HFW twice via the recovery menu, renamed my flash_485 as flash.hex, in the USB root, have used the latest NOR flasher utility via PSXPLACE, the exploit works ok as it reports as successful, but when i run the NOR Patcher, the web page freezes and i have to re-boot after waiting up to half and hour? have tried this 5 times now with the same results.

Not sure what else to try? what would cause the webpage to freeze ? is it something i am doing wrong?

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Also tried via miniweb again, (in case the live internet connection was causing the freezing). it doesn't freeze when i use the miniweb host but it just doesn't complete the patching, the PS3 closes down due to inactivity first.

tried with the flash file on the usb named as both flash_485.hex and flsh.hex, same results?

anyone know how i can validate the MD reference, it was downloaded directly from the PSXPLACE site.

I'm struggling with what else to try ?

Cheers Guys

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2019
  6. 1,354
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

That sounds like your problem there. You don't rename flash_485.hex to flash.hex or anything else - keep the file name as is, but check the MD5 once it's on the root of your USB drive. The flash_485.hex MD5 must be: 2D74B066E7453E6B1336E36C410FB1EB - if it's anything else do not flash with it, and instead re-download and re-check the MD5 hash once it's placed on the USB drive you're using to flash with.

7. 6
    Satman

Satman Forum Noob

Thanks, I have tried with the full name as well but same issue. What software do I need to download to check the MD of the flash file? How do I check it As haven’t validated this as yet.

Cheers

8. 1,354
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

I generally use WinMD5Free but there are other free MD5 checkers available.

What model PS3 is it, to make sure it is in fact NOR?

After that you need "flash_4.85.hex" without quotations on the root of your USB drive, with the MD5 checksum/hash of 2D74B066E7453E6B1336E36C410FB1EB - lower and upper case don't matter.

9. 6
    Satman

Satman Forum Noob

Thanks, it’s a CECH2003A model, which had a Minver of 3.01 so should be fine for CFW.

Will try the MD check later as I’m hoping that’s the issue, only thing I haven’t checked, and I can’t think of anything else.

Will let you know how I get on,

Cheers

Coldheart2236 likes this.
  10. 55
    Jin799

Jin799 Member

Use this YouTube video and follow it to the T.

It does everything that you need.

11. 1,354
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Yeah, no problem at all. Only reason I asked was because you didn't post your model in your original post, so just wanted to make sure we were on the right track in terms of whether it's a NOR or NAND model. Keep us posted :)

12. 6
    Satman

Satman Forum Noob

Guys thank you so much for your help. I've managed to get it to work. Having watched the vid i could see clearly what i was doing wrong, i had the flash drive in the right hand USB slot but was changing the usb tick box on the NOR writer page to the USB001 thinking they matched, as were both on the right hand side.

Left it as default per the vid and it worked first time.

Great Stuff, thanks so much for your support, great site.

And a big thank you to Mario for making the vid.

Cheers

Jin799 likes this.