Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

4.85 back to 4.82 with dump.hex?

Discussion in 'Ps3Xploit [Official Forum]' started by Self, Oct 3, 2019.

1. 13
    Self

Self Member

House builder
    Home Page:
    So I went about updating this console I picked up and accidentally installed the 4.85 instead of 4.84 hfw. Logic tells me that if I flash the 4.82 hex back over it should restore my 4.82 firmware but knowing how fooky Ps3 firmware is, should I just open it up and downgrade it like the olden days? I've been out of the game for a while due to life issues but decided I would get back into the swing of things. Hadn't even heard of HFW until a few days ago that's how long it's been. Anybody have any input? Paid 20 USD for the system so if flashing the 4.82 hex back to get that firmware back won't work I can just let it sit until new tools are developed. Back to that N00b status it appears. Hahaha. Thanks guys and gals.

2. 1,264
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

No need to downgrade to 4.82, fortunately. :)
    What model is your PS3? If it's a fat model or a slim up to certain 25xx models it will be compatible with CFW. Use MinVerChk to check (I'd recommend doing this on all slim models, just to be on the safe side) - you need a base factory firmware of 3.56 or below in order to install CFW.

You can install HFW 4.85 (if you're still on 4.85 OFW) and from there, if you have a compatible model you can use the 4.85 flash writer which will allow you to install 4.85 CFW. If you have a MinVerChk result of 3.60 or higher, then you can still install HEN which provides many CFW features on non-CFW compatible PS3s.

Hopefully this answers your question. :)

Self likes this.
  3. 13
    Self

Self Member

House builder
    Home Page:
    Its an L01 model so its compatible for sure. Im new to the 4.82+ modding scene as I quit keeping up with the everything due to some personal issues. I'm reading a pretty detailed guide on these new hybrid firmware versions and whatnot. I already have the 4.85 hybrid installed, I was just unsure of where to go after that as with 4.82 you needed a flash.hex file to reflash over. Think this other guide I am reading is going to give me all the info I need for this newer firmware. Going to check out how HEN is doing too now that you mentioned it. It literally had just been released and shortly after that I stopped modding everything in general. Thanks for the quick response though. Things are a tad different now so was super unsure at first. Guess I should have done more research first. Haha.

4. 1,264
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Your console is a NOR model, so install HFW 4.85 again via the recovery menu and then follow the guide I posted before:
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/4...rom-4-85-ofw-to-4-85-hfw-to-a-4-85-cfw.26209/

Read it thoroughly, without missing any parts out as it's all key information.
    Use the flash dumper first to dump your 16MB NOR (after installing HFW a second time), verify with PyPS3checker (use the "standalone-package_2019..." zipped archive) and then when you get a successful dump with no errors (and hopefully no warnings) you can use the flash writer.

flash_485.hex MD5 must be: 2D74B066E7453E6B1336E36C410FB1EB - verify it with an MD5 checker once it's on the root of your USB drive, to make sure the patch isn't corrupted in any way.

Once successful, re-dump your NOR before restarting to make sure you have a valid dump. If you get any errors, re-dump until you get a good one. Then you can safely restart and install 4.85 CFW (only one is available at present, but it's safe, robust and reliable).

Filipe Santos likes this.
  5. 13
    Self

Self Member

House builder
    Home Page:
    It was pretty straight forward with the guide i followed. Just needed to know a few extra steps that didn't need to be taken quite as exact with the 4.82 update. Got it all set up and ready to roll. Just was unsure of things with this new hybrid firmware dealy but now that's all been cleared up. Gonna check out HEN for my daughters super slim (well, its mine but she plays it instead of all the others) since it appears to have came a long way since it was first released. Thanks for responding though. Cheers bud.