A Litte Guideance for n00b? Xbox 360

Discussion in 'XBOX 360' started by tthousand, Jan 18, 2015.

1. 897
    tthousand

tthousand The One Moderator

Terminating Terminators
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with the xbox 360 scene. I have a few questions, and I don't really have any where else to get started. Hopefully I'll get some answers I need here.

Thanks for reading :D

2. 10,789
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

3. 10,789
    pinky

I'll put this here. :) one of the interesting things about the 360 is that the optical drive uses unencrypted data which is one of the reasons the system was hacked so quickly. well, that, and the fact that they (microsoft) didn't disable the jtag points. side note - Sony always does afaik. hehe... anyway, each drive has its own way of being flashed (hence, the reasons y the jungle flasher pdf is so large). u only need to look up ur specific drive, so u don't need to worry about any of the others. originally, drives that weren't using ofw were easily detectable by microsoft which eventually lead to the lt (lite-touch fw) which uses a minimalistic approach to cfw. oh, btw, each drive type has its own fw. u can spoof another drive, but that's also easily detectable as the kv (below) has ur original drive information in it. anyway, in an effort to combat flashed drives, Microsoft came up with ap 2.5 which would send challenges to the drive, which if failed, would not allow a game to boot up. updated fw was released whenever that'd happen though, but for those afraid, this always required opening up the system. even with a jtag/rgh/rjtag, the same procedure must be used as there's no homebrew to flash ur drive.

as for the jtag/rgh, there's an area of the flash designated for the kv (key vault) which has all of ur system's unique keys like the dvd/cpu as well as security measures. afaik, the kv is in the same location of the flash for every fw too. anyway, a tampered kv is what gives u a dns error whenever u'd try to connect to microsoft's servers. originally, u'd be banned almost immediately as a tampered kv was detectable immediately as ur console's id is sent from the kv to microsoft's servers in the first place. however, eventually, a tampered kv would give a dns error if u tried to connect. there's a way around it by using a server that'll send a fresh kv to microsoft's servers, but u have to pay like $30/day for it...seriously! I suppose in some ways the 360's security is better than the ps3's and in others the ps3's is better than the 360's. microsoft has essentially prevented downgrading (if the system hasn't been jtag/rgh/rjtagged); if it has already, there's no issue downgrading. and, afaik, there's no base firmware for the system, so u can downgrade as far as u'd like.

I hope that's somewhat informative.

4. 10,789
    pinky

let me know if u need any help. I'm not too familiar with the lizard though, but I assume it's somewhat similar to the blaster mod. the blaster mod was/is a way to flash the drive without opening up the system. I've installed one of those. it requires u to open up the system in order to install 2 chips near the optical drive. u snake the cables of the chips through the top grill of the 360, and the blaster itself replaces the hdd cradle. it'll have a usb input on the front of it, and the chips will serve to communicate from the blaster to the optical drive itself. the data cable will go in between the two, so u can flash the drive as well as use the drive normally. I assume using an xode device would be very similar to that. in either case, though, u'll need ur dvd drive key which is where jungle flasher comes in. though, if u go the jtag/rgh/rjtag route, u'll gain access to ur kv which will have ur dvd key. that's the main basis of both the flashed drive as well as the jtag/rgh/rjtag mod - finding the key(s) to flash with the dvd and cpu respectively.

5. 355
    ed89

ed89 Member

If you still have questions regarding Xbox 360 RGH = Reset Glitch Hack for example I might help you if I have time and know the answers because I own and use a Xbox 360 RGH since 05.2013.

I Can't help you much in questions about how to flashing xbox 360 DVD drives or ODEs though I have only Basic knowledge in this area...I don't have the solder and flashing DVD drive skills never did it... but you can ask everything else...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015