PS3 About the ps3 refrigeration

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Random7u7, Nov 24, 2019.

1. 15
    Random7u7

Random7u7 Forum Noob

Hey, i read that the ps3 default refrigeration is pretty shitty, i was checking and usually i have the gpu and rsx at 60g, i check too that my fan is a 30% of is speed. So ¿how i can improve this?

Colby Jones 978 likes this.
  2. 379
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) Chillin like a Krillin
    Home Page:
    I tweak my fanspeed using webMAN MOD, however 60 degrees isn't all that bad. Install webMAN MOD, set minimum fan speed to 35%, and I set my PS2 emulator fan speed to 65% and target temperature to 68 degrees. (PS2 emulator fan controls are static, it will stay at the speed you choose and will not increase or decrease, keep that in mind) If you hit 70 degrees your in the yellow, 75 is orange and 80 is RED! TURN CONSOLE OFF NOW! Lol, that's a good rule of thumb

Are you using a phat, slim, or superslim model? It's generally the phat models that have issues, and when they do ALWAYS replace the thermal paste. A good fan is no substitute for fresh thermal paste. Even slims and super-slims need it every 5 years or so, though I do my phat models every 3 years as they get much hotter inside. You might also consider getting someone who knows their stuff to apply lead to some of the soldier inside. Never done it myself, but from what I have read, the PS3 phat was designed with leaded soldier in mind, but ofc lead is not really good for the environment. This lead to some new anti-leaded soldier laws coming out sometime right before the advent of the PS3. But they had a release schedule to stick to and there was only so much they could do, so they were forced to use regular soldier, no lead. Regular soldier has a much lower melting point. In other words, if your not careful your phat consoles can literally melt themselves to death.

There are things you can do though, like putting the lead in, (I believe it's called reballing but don't quote me on that) fan upgrades, external fan addons, adding vent holes, tweaking fan speed dynamically, and keeping an eye on your CPU/RSX temp. I was thinking of cooling my own system with mineral oil, I'm working on a big tower setup I'm gonna overclock the shit out of, and I should be able to just stick my PS3 inside it lol.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    ntodek and Random7u7 like this.
  3. 15
    Random7u7

Random7u7 Forum Noob

Wow thanks alot for the info dude, also my ps3 is an slim model that i got in 2011 and don't worry i ain't going something that i don't know about specially if is inside the ps3. Maybe in the future i mod my ps3 and again thank for the info and good luck in your tower setup.

4. 379
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Okay, but you should keep in mind, any computer WILL kill itself if you don't redo the thermal paste every 5 years, and that includes the PS3. You should really take it into a shop at some point. I'll just give you a quick rundown of how that works. A heat sync is a big piece of metal inside a computer, the PS3 has one on top of the RSX and one for the CPU as well. The thermal paste goes in between the heat sync and the CPU/RSX. The idea is for the heat sync to disperse the heat from your CPU/RSX, which is why a heat sync is always designed to have as much surface area as possible. The thermal paste helps conduct heat from the CPU/RSX into the heat sync, and over the years it will dry out and become basically useless. This applies to all computers except maybe macs, including desktops, laptops, and yes even modern gamesystems. Thermal paste costs less than 20 bucks, applying it is easy. If you don't want to do it yourself, find someone who will do it at a fair price, or at the very least you should try and do it yourself when your system starts to overheat. The alternative is critical system failure. Just don't say I didn't warn you lol

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Random7u7 and Algol like this.
  5. 355
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I've had my CECH3001A since November 2011 lol. Never changed the thermal paste once and it still does the job, temperatures are always in the reasonable range (54c - 67c) depending on ambient temperature and what I'm doing on the PS3. I don't use any fan control either, but I have specific reasons as to why I choose not to. Also, I have some pretty old computers that never had thermal paste redone, they still operate at 100%. Call me lazy lol. But yeah I think these kind of things can vary, there's definitely necessity in doing maintenance and replacing thermal paste etc, but saying someones hardware will kill over on them real soon if they don't is a bit of a leap.

Random7u7 likes this.
  6. 379
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Sure, your thermal paste CAN last 10 years or longer, depending on ventilation. That doesn't mean you should push your luck though. Eventually, all computers that use thermal paste will need a replacement, or their system WILL kill itself eventually. I don't think I'm being overkill when I say any computer should have the paste re-done every 5 years, and PHAT consoles every 3.

7. 355
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Yeah the PHAT consoles of course, my first YLOD'd on me back around 2010 after not even a year of use. This was the one that had SD card slot and PS2 hardware. I think the SLIM lines are pretty much in the clear, but yeah if one wants to redo the paste go for it so long as its done right there's no risk of loss. I've just yet to experience a computer overheating, apart from a tower I put together a few years ago with parts from different computers. I think that one had a PSU issue of some sort though, but yeah the cheap old G-Force that was inside would get pretty damn hot to the touch.

8. 379
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Right, but there are other factors. I have read a lot about this online, and what it really boils down to is ventilation, how often you use your system, and where you live. 5 years seems a good rule of thumb, especially if you live somewhere humid. I have a slim console I use every day for example, and it did start to reach 73 after about 6 years before I replaced the paste, I live in Canada so our weather can get pretty sour sometimes lol.

9. 78
    ElGris

ElGris Member

The best mod you can do to your PS3, slim or super slim, is the fan intake on the top. It upgrades the cooling a lot, that with the speed fan control is a nice way to keep it safe, there are comparison of temps, watch these:

Random7u7 and Major_Pothead92 like this.
  10. 355
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I like those mods (shoutout to the uploaders controller, I did the same thing to mine except the black part is on top lol. ) I've seen various pics / videos of those same mods. Personally thought about doing it myself on my slim. I remember reading that could possibly obstruct the airflow and do more harm than good in the longrun though.

11. 78
    ElGris

ElGris Member

If you keep it clean from dust from time to time it should not be a problem. In the worst case, you will have the same air flow as stock. You need to use a dust filter, obviously.