After improper shutdown the boot is really slow, need advice.

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Kennerc, Dec 9, 2019.

1. 47
    Kennerc

Kennerc Member

I have a slim PS3, with a replaced (fairly recently) 500GB HDD, I’m running Rebug Lite 4.85, using only WebmanMOD.

Yesterday I was playing FF13, from the disc, and due to a power outage the system turned off.

When it turned back on again I did the file system check, and from there on my problem started, the system takes around 40 seconds to boot, and if I turn it on from the DualShock it will fail to pair, since the system is taking way longer to boot.

Also, every write operation on the HDD is taking way longer to complete, I installed a 3 GB PKG, just for testing, and it took around 45 minutes to install, which would take about 15 previously.

When it turn on it functions ok, even PKG games doesn’t show a noticeable performance loss.

What I did: Tried the restore file system in the recovery, every time it says a problem has occurred and it take 5-10 minutes to finish 100%, however, every time I do that I have to reinstall Webman.
    Rebuild the database, also from the recovery.

I think is something boot related, since it stays for around 10 seconds in a black screen with the HDD indicator fully lit, but I don’t know how to troubleshoot.

2. 7,670
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

I think the hdd might have got damaged when it shutdown. If you had another hdd to try that would help for trouble shooting. Or you could try formatting the current hdd if you have nothing important on there.

You could also try reinstalling your cfw as slim consoles store most of the firmware on the hdd

The reason webman mod stops working when you rebuild the database is that the boot_plugins.txt file gets deleted.

3. 47
    Kennerc

Kennerc Member

Reinstall the CFW seems like the most reasonable next step.
    Anyway to start fresh, aside from formating?

4. 7,670
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Yeah that only takes a few minutes to try and doesn't really have any downside.
    Not really, if you don't format it couldn't really be considered "starting fresh".

If you are going to format I recommend quick formatting it on PC first. The PS3 does not fully format all partitions when you do it on the console. It does not matter how you format it on PC, FAT32 or NTFS etc do not matter, the console will still format and partition it again when you put it back into the console.

You could back up your dev_flash2/etc/ and dev_hdd0/home/ folder if you want to keep accounts, saves and settings, licences and activation data. How ever it is possible that some of those file are corrupt so it might be best to test with a fully clean system first before restoring those files.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  5. 47
    Kennerc

Kennerc Member

Where should I find the boot_plugins.txt, and how to restore it?
    I had 2 txt files on the root of the HDD but none of them were named just like that, it was "cobra something" plugin and a "non cobra something " plugin.

6. 1,498
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

boot_plugins.txt is located on the root of the internal HDD, i.e. dev_hdd0/boot_plugins.txt - for me it only contains one line:
    /dev_hdd0/plugins/webftp_server.sprx which is the sprx plugin file for webMAN MOD. Reinstalling wMM should reinstate it.

I also have boot_plugins_nocobra.txt in the same location as above, and it contains the line:
    /dev_hdd0/plugins/webftp_server_noncobra.sprx

So, you could check /dev_hdd0/plugins to see if the relevant wMM sprx file(s) are there. If not, reinstall wMM. Hope this helps :)

DeViL303 and Kennerc like this.
  7. 47
    Kennerc

Kennerc Member

Just an update, I reinstalled Rebug and it still is slow as f*ck, an FTP transfer that would run at 5 Mbps is running at max 1 Mbps.
    Is my only option a format? There isn't any log or tool that I could check to see if there's something running on the background?
    If I had to format what would be an easy or proper way to do that. I think it is very unlikely that the HDD got damaged since I was playing from the Disc and is a game without an install file.
    Also there isn't any tool that I could use to check the integrity of the disc into the PS3, I wouldn't be able to connect the PS3 to any PC?

8. 204
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

Electrical engineering student
    Maybe you could connect the HDD to a PC and check the SMART stats with a tool CrystalDiskInfo or something to see if there's any damaged sectors or similar.

9. 47
    Kennerc

Kennerc Member

Hi folks!

Sorta of a continuation of what I posted here.

After a couple of weeks of use, while preparing and postponing the PS3 format, I went ahead and formatted the PS3, through the “restore system” option.

However the problem still continues, since it’s a slim model I think the firmware is stored on the HDD, and since the system was still there after the format I must think that formatting hadn’t cleared it all.

If I were to format through a PC is there a possibility of regaining my “speed” back? Is it a different format process? Or should i just invest in another SSD or HDD?

A few notes after a more extensive use, that should help people searching for the same problem:

The system take a few (5) seconds longer to boot, and if I turn it on through the Dualshock it will fail to pair, so I must turn the controller off.

Installation times are really longer, If i install from disc I get around half the usual speed, If i install from the HDD it would go at 25% the regular speed. 3GB takes around 1 hour to install, however while reinstalling "The last of us" from PSN it’s taking the same time, so my HDD speed is superior than 3MB/s (my connection speed).

Games that install as you play are really hit or miss. While playing FF XIII from the disc I started reaching loading points, God of War 3 from the backup on the HDD was unplayable, it would often crash when reaching new areas and “load/install/save”, Skyrim, from the HDD, however run just fine.

However PSN games, after installed, run perfectly fine, no impact in the overall performance, maybe a little longer load time, but it could be just my impression, even Infamous which is a open world game run flawless (off topic, but is really nice to boot an exclusive after playing a game like Boderlands with low framerate).

10. 126
    SpyroMancer

SpyroMancer Member

Maybe you should go with a new hdd. SSD is a little faster as i've seen on some YT videos, but not much to sacrifice it on a old console.

I formatted an hdd on my pc using minitool partition wizard, but most times, it just turns the PS3 off after a couple of seconds.

So i use HDD low level format tool, there is a free edition out there. Just select Perform quick wipe, PS3 will do the rest.

11. 47
    Kennerc

Kennerc Member

A 120 GB SSD cost the same as a 240 GB HDD, the SSD seems more reliable in a long time, hence why I'm inclined to go that route, but I think I'll use it as it is for now.
    I started to extract the PKG files, rebuilding the pkg only withe the PARAM.SFO and Eboot.bin, and later I transfer the rest of the content through FTP, while my kids watch youtube/Netflix.
    The only downside is having to use the disc to play some games, like GOW 3 for example.

12. 119
    larry12222

larry12222 Member

If you have a pc you will need to use CMD as ADMIN because your pc doesnt detect ps3 hardrive because its encrypted so u can modify it on ofw..

What you wonna do is open CMD as Administrator.
    then type in this-

DISKPART

list disk

select disk 1,2,3 (before u do this becarful make sure you select the right hdd/ssd from ur ps3)

clean

create partition primary

format quick fs=ntfs or exfat

assign

done!

now ur hardrive should pop up on ur pc. if you want to use that same hdd/ssd u will need to go in safe mode then reinstall the firmware!

hope this helped you :)

13. 47
    Kennerc

Kennerc Member

But would it help with my issues? It was a total bummer loosing 400 GB of data, and I already copied 80Gb back.

14. 119
    larry12222

larry12222 Member

Yes because it's deleting everything off ur hardrive.. And becareful.. The 80gb of data might cause it to do it again.. It's best to delete everything and get it all again.

Trust me it works

15. 2,418
    Berion

Berion Developer

You didn't check S.M.A.R.T, so whole discussion about Your issue don't have any sense. Sorry, this HDD could just dying and until You test it, You will not know that and/or other possible issues.

Formatting HDD on PS3 or PC doesn't fix anything. It is waste of time...

jolek and DeViL303 like this.
  16. 119
    larry12222

larry12222 Member

I had this problem before.. And it worked so stfu and mind ur own business..

17. 2,418
    Berion

Berion Developer

Oh, a true one man of culture I see. So, besides Merry Christmas and all that gentle stuff, let me tell You something: the only thing which You can achieve doing format is different allocating Your restored data to the sectors. If You are lucky enough, You will not encounter on magnetic unstable one during the process and live happy... for some limited time. But I wish You luck anyway. Wise man would just diagnose the storage media, instead of putting some faith in it. Just saying... ;)

18. 119
    larry12222

larry12222 Member

Seriously can u just stop talking garbage and let people help other people.. From experience I had this same problem.. So I'm telling everyone else??

Is that a problem :/

19. 47
    Kennerc

Kennerc Member

I'm starting to think that formatting really wouldn't solve the issue, I can even regain the speed from boot, however I cannot see how that would improve the transfer speeds.
    But I also don't see how diagnosing it with S.M.A.R.T would help either.
    Since the HDD didn't corrupted any data in the almost 20 days that I used it while slow, I'll think I'll just stop transfering games, regularly backup my saves and play from the disc, wherever they are.
    If it some day dies on me, I'll get a new HDD/SD.
    It just amazes me how a HDD less than two year old simply died on a unexpect shutdown, meanwhile my PC is going strong with the same 160GB HDD after more than 10 years. And there's a bunch of people suffering from the same problems I did.

20. 1,620
    jolek

jolek Senior Member