Am i the only one experiencing these issues?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Scottxwire, Jun 18, 2019.

1. 1,170
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    What i figure it out about these Capacitors,is that even on a previous TOSHIBA laptop, i owned,which had the same principle, these Capacitors only work well when they are heated like the console has been working before, same was with the Laptop, it would only boot and work fine after the heat treatment, the problem was, the more times you did that the often it failed with months of use, experiencing freezing and random reboots (sounds familiar?), the difference with the PS3 from the Laptop, its that a Laptop usually uses 1 NEC/TOKIN,while the PS3 uses 8, if one NEC/TOKIN fails to feed the RSX or CELL, its more than enough to put the machine into a YLOD state. What i am trying to decipher its the timeframe of the YLOD to diagnose a problem, for example, scratching the CELL CPU mask, triggers a YLOD instantly,same as removing a NEC Capacitor,while if the NECs are still there, the YLOD usualy takes 3 to 5 seconds until it happends,usually you can see a HDD activity before the shutdown,which means there is a capacitors problem, sometimes you might be lucky,and the machine still boot,even with YLOD,which its even better,and jumps straight to the point, the capacitors replacement,but not all behaves the same, its just trial and error,but next time you see a Phat PS3 with YLOD,and never has been touched,give it a try,its not a 100€ fix,but its the definitive solution :)

Algol likes this.
  2. 173
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Consoles are closed gated systems. The companies won't tell anything about their consoles. Imagine a complicated system with a server CPU and an RSX but you can't even check their heath status / Temperature & fan speeds on operating system (firmware). Its not just PS3. Its same thing with present generation of consoles.

Also companies don't tell reasons behind problems and failures of their hardware. Consumers has to figure out themselves. You're lucky if you are in warranty. Did Sony ever tell about official reasons of YLOD? Or any particular reasons for type of problems in PS4? They don't tell anything. You buy console and you use it. No questions asked. Everything is a mystery in consoles.

As far as i know (and to a bit of surprise), after Hen installation, many slim and super slim users found out that their operating Temp is similarly high as in case of fat models. So lithography didn't do much to cut heat in Slims and superslims. But superslims and slims don't have notorious problem of YLOD as in case of fats. Whatever Sony did wrong with fats, they fixed it in later Slims and superslims. Of course Sony wouldn't tell what changes they made to solve YLOD problem. Yes, excessive heat is one cause of YLOD and RSX chip failure, but there are other reasons too.

3. 1,170
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    (Whatever Sony did to fix), they simply changed those unreliable NEC/TOKIN Capacitors to Tantalum on the 2100 and onwards, you have to do the same for the Phats and the 2000 Slims, Sony didn't do any black magic here, its just a doing a simple research on the board revisions, and you will spot the differences.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Algol likes this.
  4. 33
    Scottxwire

Scottxwire Forum Noob

Wow. Lots of info here.
    Looks like this was something that needed to be asked.
    Thank u all!

5. 33
    Scottxwire

Scottxwire Forum Noob

Not bad! Wayyy better now!
    Adjusted the setting in webman to dynamic fan control. Heres my inputs.
    Temps staying in the 40-50c range.
    Thanks big time!

Attached Files: