PS3 Are my PS3's compatible with CFW, HAN, etc... ?

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by RikuNoctis, Jan 15, 2019.

1. 1,581
    pink1

pink1 Moderator Developer

@Coldheart2236 & @Cypher_CG89 I’m enjoying trying to understand what you’re talking about but if you guys are wanting to keep talking can you move to an off topic thread?
    Not trying to pick but this thread was already created from off topic post. :)

2. 1,251
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Yeah, sorry about that. Just got a bit carried away as Cypher and myself are from the same neck of the woods but I'll cut it off here because as you say, we've made an off-topic thread infinitely more off-topic and incomprehensible to most people lol. Apologies for that pink :)

pink1 likes this.
  3. 23
    RikuNoctis

RikuNoctis Forum Noob

I've read a bit more about the dumping process. It seems I won't be able to do it as it requires a compatible BD drive on my PC, which it isn't. I have an Asus BDROM BC12B1ST, but it can't read the disc, it seems.

Is there any other way to dump my discs? Is there a drive compatibility list anywhere? (At work we have various PCs and almost all of them have BD drives, and from different brands I'm sure, so maybe I can dump them there... lol)

4. 2,659
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Would best @pink1 sorry got carried away. @Coldheart2236 could you move our 'very off topic' posts from this one to new one in off topic when you get the chance, so we do confuse the hell out of people and the OP's thread ain't clogged up with stuff most people on here wouldn't understand unless they are from where we both live. and can get clear help with the issues they are having.

According to what i have just read, your drive is meant to be able to read PS3 discs. Here's the link to what deices should be able to read PS3 discs: (this is from 2015)

EDIT: ( Invalid Link removed ) See post #28 below for valid link.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    RikuNoctis, Coldheart2236 and pink1 like this.
  5. 1,581
    pink1

pink1 Moderator Developer

No need to apologize like I said I’ve been enjoying reading this. It’s very easy to get talking and not realize how many posts have been made, I think anyone that is here long enough is going to do it at some point.

Coldheart2236 likes this.
  6. 1,251
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Will get on doing that shortly, no worries man. Exactly there's off-topic and then there's niche things that only you and I will fully get due to it being local.

7. 23
    RikuNoctis

RikuNoctis Forum Noob

Well, I tried with my Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 disc and it doesn't read it. I also tried with Borderlands 2. Both are apparently compatible with CFW2OFW based on the devwiki.

Also, it seems I can't access the content from link you posted. I only see ads and when I click the link shown I get a forum notification error (the post does not exist, that is).

8. 2,659
    Cypher_CG89

Sorry it did that to me when clicked the link it didn't show what I was viewing possible because it was a printable version lol. Try this link:

http://www.emunewz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=173113

And here's a screen shot: Your drive is highlighted in blue upload_2019-1-16_23-1-27.png

The link should work as i just tested it in post preview.

RikuNoctis likes this.
  9. 1,251
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

The link you posted earlier had a 3 missing off the end lol that's all.

10. 23
    RikuNoctis

RikuNoctis Forum Noob

Yeah, I can now see the thread on that link.

Well, my BD drive cannot read them, it seems. Maybe a typo? So far I've tested with LoS, BL2, LRFFXIII, Bayo and SHD. Do I need to have something installed so my drive can read them? I'm using ImgBurn, BTW.

11. 1,692
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Thats the NTSC-J Final Fantasy XIII-2 Lightning Bundle, with that gorgeous, design. Shame $ony its too cooky to release it overseas back in the day. Still keeping my eyes on a 80Gb - Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 (Yakuza 3) - Limited Edition,but thoes fetch a 300€ + price tag, something that you can buy a PS4, or two if used, but yet again.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  12. 23
    RikuNoctis

RikuNoctis Forum Noob

Ok, I could dump my Lords of Shadow 2 disc at work. lol
    It has a LGWH16 and it can read the discs. Also, I want to assume the dump I did is correct based on what I've read, but I don't know if there is some way to verify the integrity of it.

Some people were really nice to me by sharing some links for the dumping and injection process (dumping here, lnm7's tool here and PSX-Place tutorial here), but I still have some questions as I don't really understand some parts of it.

For example, the tool for injection made by lnm7 says "Now select your backup folder and place your game + patch in the "Inject\dev_hdd0\game" directory."; what exactly should I use as "game + patch" for the tool? The signed .PKG files obtained just like the tutorial thread says? Or the folders made before finishing said tutorial and that one of the tools calls "Game" and "Patch"? Do I need anything else besides that and the backup from my PS3 that I already have?

Now, based on lnm7's thread, and if I manage to inject the game, what should I do once I have more dumped discs ready to inject? The thread says "inject one at a time" so it doesn't take too much time; does that mean that I need to inject one game with the tool, wait for it to finish, and then select the same backup and inject again, or does it mean that I need to inject -> restore -> make backup -> inject -> and then repeat, every time that I want a new game?

Sorry if my questions seem dumb, but I would prefer to clear them to not mess up the files (which I already did when dumping Lords of Shadow 2, twice... lol).

13. 2,659
    Cypher_CG89

I may have found a solution to you not being able to rip your discs on your own PC, Also an excuse for you to install some really awesome tools for this kind of stuff. Download and install Aldo's PS3 Tools collection from here:

http://www.psx-place.com/resources/ps3-tools-collection.594/

It has a PS3 rippping tool that may solve the problem of your drive not ripping the disc's and also a game integrity checker that will check the MD5 of your dumped game. Plus some really good tools for use with PS3, mainly for CFW but some of the tools you could put to good use for now.

Your Anti virus may give you a false positive reading for this so I would disable it while you install it so it installs correctly and adds the proper functions to your context menu on windows, then create a folder exception for it and also exceptions for all the .exe's in the sub folders in your AV menu. I have Comodo AV and it went bezerk when I downloaded and installed this, disabling and quarantining everything it could find till a made it except the files.

As for the rest I will have a look at the thread in relation to this as when I get a chance to as I have not used this method yet myself as I have 2 PS3's CFW and a SuperSlim on 4.82 OFW which I have done nothing with yet.

RikuNoctis likes this.