VITA / PsTV ARK-2 Autoboot PBOOT Installation & Customization

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by atreyu187, May 22, 2017.

1. 5,770
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    **Note**
    This tutorial is a W.I.P. and will be finished later today as I didn't sleep last night and got bored. I will add customization and how to make bubbles that will boot WITHOUT HENkaku enabled. And a small side note, Adrenaline users can take advantage of the Vita's extra CPU/GPU power since it is out of the sandbox thus increasing the playback and performance. No longer are we limited to the PSP clock speeds when overclocking our systems.

ARK-2 Autoboot PBOOT Installation & Customization

• PART 1: INSTALLING ARK
      1. If you don't have ePSP Bubble Installer 3.1, get it. If you have a prior version, delete that, then install 3.1.
      2. Create a bubble with that homebrew and reboot as instructed. Start Henkaku up again. Don't worry, it won't interfere with you having used Angry Birds for Adrenaline. The ePSP bubble installer is only concerned with the BIGHEADSNOOKER bubble it installs.
      3. The folder for the new game is NPEZ00104. Make a mental note of that and you can check by sorting by date in Vitashell, it'll be the newest one.
      4. Download Ark 3.60. Copy the PBOOT.PBP over to the vita, inside NPEZ00104
      5. Copy over the ARK_01234 save to your vita via QCMA (IIRC QCMA is obsolete for general transfers but I think it's necessary to use QCMA to get a bubble ARK-ready). To do that, the ARK_01234 folder needs to go in documents > PS Vita > PSAVEDATA > (a jumble of letters and numbers unique to your vita).
      6. Now, copy the base game over to your computer via QCMA. It's under 'PSP/Other' (applications). For your own ease of use, you might want to make a note of its size when it's on the vita (as viewed via QCMA), AND the size of it when it's on the computer (again, as viewed via QCMA). This will probably save you a minor headache going forward because you're going to be using multiple bubbles that the vita just thinks of as BIGHEADSNOOKER. The other way around this is to wait a day so future bubbles have a different date. It's 3712kb on vita and 3629kb on the PC. I doubt those numbers will be different for you.
      7. Copy it back over to the vita via QCMA. The bubble you used will now display 'ARK'.
      8. Just to make sure, run the bubble, and within ARK, run the program or programs you want to create an autoboot bubble for.

• PART 2: CREATING A NEW BUBBLE TO USE FOR AUTOBOOT
      1. Backup the relevant save or Bubblestudio ms0 for your custom bubble graphics / names if you have any.
      2. Start the EPSP bubble installer again, and duplicate it as prompted by pressing X. Even if you want to create multiple autoboot bubbles I recommend you only create one bubble at a time and get it working before you repeat the process with another bubble.
      3. It'll restart your Vita but it will also update the database. Your folders will not be affected but you will lose custom bubble icons. We can get to fixing that after you've got all your autoboot bubbles working. You will notice that you have another BIGHEADSNOOKER bubble. Start Henkaku.
      4. If you want, you can check the new install in Vitashell. The newly created folder for the new bubble is called EPSP00000 rather than be called NPEZ00105 as some would have done with manual cloning (you could do manual cloning if you so desired to save yourself from having to rebuild any bubbles, but that's even more QCMA headaches. I'll look into it but it used to be a big pain in the ass and now that I have the hang of bubble studio I'd rather do it this way).

• PART 3: ARK-IFYING THE BUBBLE WITH THE AUTOBOOT FILES
      Alright, so, little confession; I don't use qwikrazor's upload of the autoboot bubble. A lot of people were having errors with it, saying it doesn't work, then someone called stevenlexon further in the thread posted a mirror, which those people got to work. I use that upload, didn't try qwikrazor's, and I haven't had any problems, and I'm wondering if you're having the same issue as the other users who couldn't work with the normal one but got lucky with the second one.
      1. Download the autoboot-ready pboot from stevenlexon's mega link.
      2. In the 'pboot' folder, there is a PBOOT.PBP file and a SAVEPATH.txt file. Copy these into EPSP00000.
      3. As before, copy the bubble over to your computer via QCMA. It is 4192kb on the vita. My vita actually froze during the copy process but I just held down the power button, shut off, deleted the 'temp' folder in my qcma PC folders, restarted, copied no problems.
      4. Again, copy it back over from PC to vita via QCMA. It is 4067kb on the PC, so you know which one you're getting (not the 3629kb one) and the second item in the list. Remember from this point on that in the PC view, the newest item is at the bottom of the list. This is why bubble cloning can be a pain, but it's usually worth it because ePSP bubbles from the installer are only 3mb big.
      5. You will notice that your second BIGHEADSNOOKER bubble has become an ARK bubble like the first one. When launched, it should start the black-and-white ARK menu. Now to get the bubble assigned to what you want to launch!

• PART 4: ASSIGNING THE AUTOBOOT TO THE PROGRAM
      Alright, now that your new bubble is running ARK, we're done with QCMA for now. You can do the rest in Vitashell over USB connection or FTP. In layman's terms, the PBOOT tells ARK to look at SAVEPATH.txt, which tells ARK to look at a specific file in a save data folder, and that file in turn tells ARK to look at a certain file to run. We need to fill in those blanks so it knows where to go.
      1. In the autoboot download, there is an 'ARK_01234' folder. This is a save file modified to work with your autoboot folder. Make a copy of this and name it – to some degree – after what you want your bubble to launch. Just something so you know what it is at a glance, and because every autoboot bubble requires a save data folder with a different name. So, to launch Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, I rename the copy of the folder to 'ccff7'.
      2. In this folder, there's a file, BOOTPATH.txt, which reads 'ms0:/iso/queshen.cso'. In Vitashell, look for the thing you want to launch with the bubble. In this scenario, it's an ISO of Crisis Core. That's found at ux0:/pspemu/ISO/ccff7.iso (I abbreviate it because apparently there are some old problems with long ISO file names). It's important to note if it's an ISO or CSO, because you need to get the full file name right.
      3. As you've probably gathered, BOOTPATH.txt shows the exact place where what you want to launch is, but just says 'ms0:/' instead of 'ux0:/pspemu'. Whenever you want to write an address, be sure you are using 'ms0:/' instead of 'ux0:/pspemu', however, I don't think it's case-sensitive, and will take 'iso' just as well as 'ISO' in folder names. So here, I want the BOOTPATH.txt to read 'ms0:/ISO/ccff7.iso'. If you wanted to run a homebrew, then you'd want to go somewhere like 'ms0:/PSP/GAME/(folder name)/EBOOT.PBP'. Heck, I don't see why this wouldn't work for a legit game that you had to install in Adrenaline and didn't want to use the package installer to create a bubble for it.
      4. Now that you have modified BOOTPATH.txt, the 'save' folder is ready. Put that folder – in this case, 'ccff7' into ux0:/pspemu/PSP/SAVEDATA so it's sitting there like any normal save data folder.
      5. Browse over to the game data folder for your bubble – here it's GAME/EPSP00000 - and open SAVEPATH.txt. It reads 'ms0:/PSP/SAVEDATA/ARK_01234/ARK.BIN'. So as you can guess, you want the file to display the path – again, using 'ms0:/' instead of 'ux0:/pspemu' to the ARK.BIN file in the custom 'save' folder you just created – hence the name 'savepath'. So here it's as simple as replacing 'ARK_01234' in the file with the name of the folder. So now in my scenario it says 'ms0:/PSP/SAVEDATA/ccff7/ARK.BIN'.
      6. Make sure that Henkaku is running – you can't launch ARK bubbles made with the ePSP bubble installer without it because they're made from a PSN game and they look for your license – and run your second ARK bubble. Your game should boot up!
      (continued in a reply to this post)

• PART 5: CREATING ANOTHER BUBBLE FOR ANOTHER GAME TO AUTOBOOT

Don't worry, it gets a bit easier as you get used to it. Start ePSP bubble installer, and choose to duplicate it TWICE. The database will update again. If you chose to do it once, nothing will happen because it doesn't see 'dupe once' as 'add one', but 'create up to one bubble past NPEZ00104'. When you ask for 2 more bubbles, it will create one new bubble. When you want to create your third bubble, then ask it to duplicate it THREE times, and so on. When the vita restarts, you'll see a new, third BIGHEADSNOOKER bubble. Restart Henkaku. In vitashell, you can see that the newest folder is called EPSP00001. Further created bubbles will keep adding 1 to this number. So if you want a new bubble, see how high the numbers go and add 1 to that to see how many you need to ask for. For example, if your highest numbered epsp folder is EPSP00027, you need to ask for it to make 28 bubbles to get another.

As before, copy the PBOOT and SAVEPATH.txt into the new install's folder. You can also think ahead and change SAVEPATH.txt on the Vita to direct to where the next save folder will be and its name. In this case I'm going to use the bubble to launch a Dynasty Warriors Volume 2 ISO, so I'll call the folder 'dwv2', so the txt now reads 'ms0:/PSP/SAVEDATA/dwv2/ARK.BIN'

Back up the latest bubble to PC via QCMA – this one was 3616kb, but it's at the top of the list, and under the info screen version 1.00 (when ARK'd ones are version 99.99), parental controls level 2 (ARK'd ones are level 7). Before you do, you COULD save yourself a headache by deleting the current backups on your computer. I did it, as it's not hard to create these bubbles after a bit of practice. It'll be easier to tell what's the new one because the 'deleted' ones will show up as 'corrupted data' which can be gotten rid of. Once it's on the PC, put it back and you've got another ARK-ready bubble and if you've done it already, you've got SAVEPATH.txt sorted out. You can make sure by reading it in vitashell.

Create a new copy of the ARK_01234 save folder, rename it to what you need it to be (in this case, 'dwv2'), and change BOOTPATH.txt to point to the file you want to launch (in this case, 'ms0:/iso/dwv2.iso'). Copy the new folder over to pspemu/PSP/SAVEDATA. Your bubbles now both launch their respective games!

• PART 6: ADDENDUMS ON BUBBLE CUSTOMIZATION AND DLC
      Just a couple notes I'd like you to be aware of, you can of course fully customise your ARK autoboot bubbles – the name, icon, livearea screen and boot screen - so you know what they are at a glance and look good, and I left this bit until last because the process of installing new ePSP bubbles undoes bubble customisation so you'll want to do them all in one go after you've created however many bubbles you want, and be sure to keep your bubble studio data handy so you can quickly get them all back if you have to create another bubble at a later time. Also be aware that in bubble studio, bubbles are shown in the order they were created, so use that to rename them easily. I recommend naming them as the first thing you do, including naming the normal 'ARK' bubble to 'ARK shell' so you don't get it confused with future ARK-ified bubbles.

Also, I don't have a complete data set but ARK doesn't seem to play well with decrypted DLC? Maybe it's just for some games, maybe it's just when you're using decrypted DLC with an ISO-based game. Regardless, I can't get decrypted DLC for Rock Band Unplugged to work, so I have to launch that game through Adrenaline or play with a partially-complete tracklist (RBU and its DLC are no longer available to buy). This however should be the utmost of edge cases and maybe other DLC works, or hopefully all the DLC you have is legit or runs okay with ARK.
      Phew, I think that covers everything. I'm going to bed now but do let me know how you get on and if you have any problems!

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2017
    STLcardsWS, bitsbubba, pinky and 2 others like this.
  2. 5,770
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Thanks for your Midas touch in this one @STLcardsWS and to all interested this works confirmed by me 3.18/3.20-3.63 firmwares.

3. 8,931
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

No problem, thanks for the great guide. Look at bottom of part 4 , is that how it should be?

4. 5,770
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Yea and it's a modified release of qwikrazors pboot as I can't get his to work. I am gonna add how to have custom icons and stuff as well. Managed to make all mine look like official PSP PSN games. Works for Homebrew, emus and PSX games though PSX doesn't have sound. I also need to modify it a bit for 3.61 users and HENkaku users who supply their own base game. As they can then be launched without HENkaku enabled like an official game

STLcardsWS likes this.