Auto-shutdown Temp. Limiter PS3

Discussion in 'Utilities' started by aceballzdeep, Nov 22, 2018.

1. 12
    aceballzdeep

aceballzdeep Forum Noob

Has anyone through of, looked into making a homebrew/plugin what hav u that can change the auto-shutdown temp. limit. I believe factory limit is 85c or w/e and at that point ued cause damage. one example that could put this 2 good use if u left ur console on while u were having dinner and the fan crapped out boom straight to superheated console maybe dead assuming ur consoles in a dif. room, a custom temp setting would go a long way, me for example ied set it 2 57c during summer and 47c for winter, my temps r low cuz my fan is at 73%(with 9 spare fans) and i hav turtle beachs cant hear the airport under my TV

2. 12
    aceballzdeep

aceballzdeep Forum Noob

[MENTION=2]STLcardsWS[/MENTION] Could someone maybe tell me who mite no more about this [MENTION=2]aldostools[/MENTION]

3. 11,586
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

might be about to through the syscon (not sure), but that's only a guess. you can probably set temp thresholds. you can on the 360 at least with a new NAND build, so I assume it would be possible on the ps3 as well.

4. 12
    aceballzdeep

aceballzdeep Forum Noob

@STLcardsWS @aldostools @pinky wouldnt it b easy to setup a plugin for webman kinda lik a watchdog that would shutdown the console if it reached a set temp., im no dev and can only code a simple js command line card game so unfortunately i need help, i should hav asked or requested a feature/plugin like this 7years ago lol having ccapi on my phone to c temps. wen im off making dinner/eat what hav isnt an opinion

5. 11,586
    pinky

wouldn't it be easier just to set temp thresholds? I don't see anyone making such a plugin due to something possibly going wrong if set too low.

6. 1,338
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

We already have fan control, and shutdown commands available inside webman-mod source....
    It should entirely be possible.

A better idea would be not to leave your console unattended, though, for safety reasons.

pinky likes this.
  7. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Yes, of course, webMAN-MOD's fan control could do that easily with probably just an extra code snippet. Or yet another plugin.. Even Cobra/Mamba could be tweaked to do that at kernel level...
    It might be even simpler to locate the emergency shutdown temp value (in syscon?) & patch it with a lower value, then let the system do its job.

However, using dynamic fan control, the temp should never reach emergency shutdown temps. For instance, if you set wMM to keep the chips under 70C & the ps3 tends to overheat, the fan might become extremely noisy but temps should still not rise above 70C.
    And if ever the ps3 overheats so much that the fan control cannot overcome it despite fans running at max speed & temps manage to climb to 84C+ then your console has a very serious problem to begin with & one emergency shutdown won't make it much more worse imho.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  8. 12
    aceballzdeep

aceballzdeep Forum Noob

@psykosis

"unattended for safety reasons", its not a bomb or a bear trap, we cant all wear adult diapers while we play vids, sony designed thes to run as a dual boot os game/linux server im prty sur leavin it on while i eat, mak dinner, go to the bathroom w/e, wont b a safety concern and a added bonus ill avoid a heat cycle too

@bguerville

thats what i was sayin shouldnt b too hard, but even if i found the file or what hav u that had the autoshutdown temp value how would i change it im prty sur its not like android devices where som values can b changed using terminal or simply by using a txt editor, if the values in sonys code ied hav to decompile/reverse engineer, change, then compile, and y r u bringing up dynamic fan control, i think u may hav misunderstood what im tryin to accomplish, i want to avoid superheating my console in the event that the internal fan dies wen im away from my console, shes not gonna ovrheat if my internal fans workin its set to 73% all the time temps in summer are high 30s low 40s temps in winter are mid 30s

@pinky

yes setting to low could result in console boot loop but that would b user error dont be stupid problem solved set it 10c above ur average ingame temp during summer and ur good then if she has a underlining problem and starts to overheat she'll nvr get to thos deadly temps in the first place buys u time to fix wit out the need for a reball cuz it was killed wen superheated cuz auto shutdowns at 80-85c w/e

added note ive been running her internal fan at 73% for ovr 300 gaming hrs wit no problems (nock on wood) but ied hate to c she die cuz auto shutdown temp isnt at a better value and mayb loose my most update-2-date skyrim save wit 235hrs

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  9. 1,338
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

It's YOUR life, and YOUR safety...do with it what you will...

10. 12
    aceballzdeep

aceballzdeep Forum Noob

@aldostools would aldostools be the person to talk to and how mite i get in contact wit him/her is ther anyone else i should speak too mayb Jonnie86 ive tried contacting rebug but ther probly busy wit cfw for switch or ps4

@Joonie @_NzV_ @NzV @Zar

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2018
  11. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Before you can tweak the wMM source code & test your mods, you need to be able to compile the wMM project.
    That requires installing on Windows both an official 4.xx sdk by s#ny & cygwin because the open source psl1ght sdk does not support compiling sprx plugins.
    We can't give you links to the sdk because it is under license.

Once you get the means to compile, we can tell you what code tweaks to look into.
    But like I told you before, dynamic fan control is largely sufficient & the possibility of the fan dying unattended changes nothing to the overall situation.
    If the fan died (extremely rare), the console would emergency shutdown at around 84/85C. It would be a one off event with no damage done.

pinky likes this.
  12. 12
    aceballzdeep

aceballzdeep Forum Noob

@bguerville thank u for that information, question about the official sdk are ther fake malware loaded ones kickin about, how can i tell whether its real/ legit or not
    will it run on windows 10 i found sdk v4.75 its 6.7GB tho is that rite and is that the rite version i said b4 and ill say it again im not a dev, wouldnt i hav to learn how to use github

some docs on the web i found say i need microsoft visual studio as well that true

13. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Yes you do in order to install/use certain parts/features of the sdk. You can use a free edition of VS iirc & the required Visual Studio version depends on the s#ny sdk version you install.
    In order to compile wMM, you will not make use of Visual Studio however. You could manually install only the parts of the sdk needed for wMM compilation & avoid installing VS Studio etc but doing that is not as simple as running the sdk offline installer that automatically installs the sdk components.
    Remember to install cygwin before the Sony sdk which iirc asks for the cygwin path during the installation process.
    You will need to install some minimum packages in cygwin, a requirement list should be available with the documentation.

14. 12
    aceballzdeep

aceballzdeep Forum Noob

https://www.cygwin.com/ <----this the cygwin u speak of u could hav provided that link no piracy there, in ur setup whats versions r u running?

1. S-ny sdk v.
    2. visual studio v.
    3. cygwin v.

what do mean ''by manually installing only the parts of the sdk needed'' the parts from visual studio or.....what parts would i need

fyi my consoles running 4.82 rebug if that makes a difference on s-ony sdk v. or not

ive found what looks like a trusted sdk ver 3.70 and visual studio 2010 is recommended thes ver. ok to compile wMM for 4.82 rebug?

ive been searching the net for 3 1/2 hrs bout 370 dead links for the sdk god damn

cygwin is an alternate to GCC?

How about i mak a donation to someone here to compile wMM with a tested / debugged custom value emerg temp

anyone ................

i still cant find sdk ill keep looking tho

@bguerville @sandungas

15. 11,586
    pinky

iirc, only a few sdk's have been leaked, so you'll have better luck looking for one specifically. I know of a site that might have them, but it might be against the rules to list it here.

16. 12
    aceballzdeep

aceballzdeep Forum Noob

ur not allowed to provide a link to the sdk but what bout a link wit a link to another site

im prtty sur i found it its 4GBs tho in size ver. 3.60 but according to the psdevwiki it should b around 1.9GB im dloading on my dont giv a sh.t laptop

added note wMM has disable emerg shutdown notification so it shouldnt b to hard to find where what to tweak

17. 11,586
    pinky

I'm not sure of the exact size for that sdk. I don't have any sdk's on my pc at the moment to check.

18. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Sorry but you won't get help with your current sdk queries in a psx-place public forum. The official s#ny sdk is distributed under expensive licensing so its free download & installation is piracy.
    Piracy related links & convos are not allowed in this forum according to rules #1 & #2. http://www.psx-place.com/threads/site-forum-rules-guidelines.79/

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  19. 12
    aceballzdeep

aceballzdeep Forum Noob

ok my bad no pirating RRRRRRR shhhhhhh ill ask questions bout the wMM tweaks l8r i thank evryone for ther help thus far

20. 5,411
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

@aceballzdeep please dont post so many posts consecutivelly, it looks you are "bumping" your thread and this is not good for forums
    If you realized you forgot to tell something after writing your post, click in "edit" in your last post and add text to it