Average temp of ps3 super slim

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by crspypotatochips, May 2, 2019.

1. 30
    crspypotatochips

crspypotatochips Member

Home Page:
    So what's the average temp of your ps3 super slim? Mine is getting around CELL: 68 and RSX: 72 on idle or when running a homebrew but gets below 68 when running games because the fan cranks up a bit when playing. Is the idle temp normal?

2. 20
    Darknss

Darknss Forum Noob

Self-employed
    i would like to know too, mine read CELL at 68 and RSX at 75 and i didnt have it on for more than 15 minutes, and when it gets that temperature it doesnt turn back on right away i have to let it cool down for a bit and then turn it back on

3. 139
    remlei

remlei Member

I dont have super slim but with my ps3 3000 slim model, temp reading at idle is around 62c on cpu and 64c on rsx (just sitting on xmb doing) and around 68c both cpu and rsx while playing TLoU all set with SYSCON fan setting.

setting it to dynamic with min fan speed of 60%, my temps go way below 48c on cpu and 49c while gaming, on idle, it goes around 45c. that 20c temperature drop means many things to me.

4. 91
    Shrinivas

Shrinivas Member

Mine is pretty much the same when idle. I don't know if super slims have major overheating issues at all.

5. 3,107
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

Mine's below 65 degrees at all time with 35% fan speed

Dyrn3006 likes this.
  6. 42
    Kier_1234657

Kier_1234657 Member

Mines was at Cpu 62°c Rsx 68°c on syscon. Its now at, cpu 47°c Rsx 52°c with 40% fan speed

7. 592
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

Mine's usually gets like this as everyone here stated above, but when I'm installing webman mod and set the fan speed to 40%, temp reduced greatly until at about 57-58 degrees celsius.

Kier_1234657 likes this.
  8. 592
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

On the side note, the PS3 superslim uses 2.0A squirrel cage fan, aluminum heatsink for CELL cpu and copper heat pipe for RSX chip which it didn't come with IHS on it.

Sometimes, my PS3 superslim console fan gets pretty hot during experimenting it with thermal pads, happened during GTAV game session.

Dyrn3006 likes this.
  9. 10
    NarutoKs

NarutoKs Forum Noob

Um are you using a super slim ps3?
    Becuz I'm really wondering if you can use webman to toggle the fan speed

10. 592
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

I'm already stated that thing before. It requires HEN exploit to be installed.

11. 402
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

@Naked_Snake

What do you think about these Super Slim temps? Are these Temps correct? They look similar to Old Fat ones which were blamed for being overheating. And Syscon in Super Slim is pushing CPU and GPU towards 70 and maybe over that. But there is no YLOD problem in Super Slim.

Dyrn3006 likes this.
  12. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

syscon isn't pushing any of the chips.syscon is both referenced as default fan setting and chip that governs fan speed,among other things.one of the major reason that superslims aren't getting ylod is that they have tantalum caps and are much younger,thus haven't been used and abused as older models were.other than having tantalum caps there isn't a conclusive proof or study of one design being superior over another among all models of the ps3.

Dyrn3006 likes this.
  13. 1,742
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Its the average temperature for a Super Slim, thats with a SysCon Fan Profile (70ºCs on RSX/CELL), in fact all PS3s are designed to get Hot (90nm/65nm/45nm) it doesnt matter, Sony´s SysCon Fan Profile prioritizes acoustics over low-temperatures, but it doesnt provoke an overheating, it just keeps the console hot, but not critical failure hot.

All PS3s get YLOD, the YLOD its simply a General Hardware Failure like the RROD on the X360,but unlike the poor-solder job of the X360, YLOD its not associated with Overheating (although if you remove the heatsink of the IHS its not properly attached the PS3 will YLOD,but the machine will boot fine), its usualy associated with HDD Failure and Capacitor Feed to the CELL/RSX, YLOD isnt caused by bad-solider joints, Sony´s quality its always present, being the 1st Gen or 4th Gen.

Super Slims can also get YLOD, also the 2100/2500/3000, but because the NEC/TOKINs have been replaced with Tantalums, if they fail, these models will not display any form of YLOD,they will simply do a Blackout (cuts the power completely, and only when pressed the power button the machine will display a RED light), i had a 2500 Series that had this issue, so know that for a fact,but i cant point out the exact part that causes this form of Blackout, but if you wish to see a YLOD on a 2100 and upwards PS3,simply remove the heatsink and enjoy the show, you will see the infamous YLOD on the newer revisions,but thats due to overheating.

CFW-Us3r, Filipe Santos and Dyrn3006 like this.
  14. 12,155
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

microsoft fixed the rrod problems with the slim, which gets rdod (red dot of death) with hardware failure. :-p

Filipe Santos and Dyrn3006 like this.
  15. 56
    zarebcn

zarebcn Member

I think that im very lucky with my PS3, i get 52ºc CELL and 53ºc RSX while iddle/XMB and goes only to 56 CELL 60 RSX when playing a resources demanding game. I only opened it once two months ago for cleaning the dust of the fan and i didnt change the thermal paste because i hadnt at that moment, for cleaning well the fan i completely disassembled the PS3 because the fan has the screws under the heatsinks and i saw the thermal paste very old and dry but even in this condition the temps are pretty good. Before cleaning the dust my iddle temps were the same that the ones i get now when playing. My PS3 is a 3004a slim model with 8 y/o and tons of +10 hours non-stop playing days. Oh and i dont use a fan control app, its on SYSCON.

Dyrn3006 likes this.
  16. 402
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

What's your room temperature? Where do you live?

When my room temperature is 21c, my fat PS3 (IHS not removed) idles at 60c CPU and 54C GPU (33% fan speed).

Now i am enjoying sunny days. Outside Temps are 44C and room temp is 30C. Now PS3 is idling at 66C CPU and 62C GPU (37%fan speed). Next week, weather forecast says, Temps will be 46C. Some parts of this country go upto 50C in summers. Gotta love this country.

Bottom line, Everything depends on room temperature.

@Naked_Snake1995

I was a bit surprised to see Super Slims running at similar Temps like old Fat ones. Since long, i was reading that those fat ones have bigger lithography so they heat a lot. Interestingly, lithography alone doesn't mean more or less heat for CELL. Am i right? Or can we say that Super slim design is actually more congested than fat ones and actually super slims have inferior cooling system compared to old fat ones?

And i once read that BGA will melt when you hit 70c and YLOD will happen. Its clearly a myth. YLOD is a little more complex issue than just bad BGA solder.

Also, i think Super Slim Syscon is still passive and discreet similar to what it was in old fat models. Not much improvement i guess.

By the way, how Super Slim user are getting their CPU/GPU temps? By installing homebrew after installing HEN?

17. 1,742
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    I was getting thoes readings via Multiman, that was at the beginning of HENs life, on a 4004C, from a console which belonged to me, now donated to a friend of mine, but i know because i made a chart with the average SysCon Temps for the 4000 Series.

Wherever you read that the BGA melts at 70°C,needs to get they're Brain Solder-Joints checked.

Non leaded solder doesn't melt until 217°C,a temperature which your PS3 will not reach,so don't worry about the BGA, because the BGA its fine from the start, but you need to worry about the chip itself, CELL i don't believe it uses, but the RSX has the same BGA Connection inside the chip itself, the Underfill (Solder-Joints) uses to connect the DIE to the Substrate (Chip), and if the chip its indeed bad, by heating the chip, you are rejoining the Underfill connection inside the chip, this its the reason reballing, reflow and heat gun methods worked, but that rule only applies if the chip itself its the culprit.

Circa 2000s Nvidia Chips always had issues regarding the substrate, now AMD on the contrary always had issues with the BGA Soldering.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Filipe Santos likes this.
  18. 5,829
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Anything over 70 can start to cause hardware failure. Can't believe the Super Slims get that hot. My launch day system doesn't get over 70.

Kier_1234657 likes this.
  19. 1,742
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Well i didn't have problems with the S Model that i had, solid console, one little annoyances i find with the XBOX360 its the bloody PC Disk Drive which jammes due to the belt inside being aged and loose, i wish they had gone the Sonys route, and making it like the Phat PlayStation2 all mechanical parts, would improve reliability a lot.

HDD Encryption also its a annoyance, and if you are not an expert in making a X360 HDD from scratch, you will have a hard time replacing or upgrading the HDD, and if you had a 4Gb model like i had oh dear

But my preferred model its the original one, i am trying to get my hands on a Red Resident Evil 5 Limited Edition X360 Elite, but seeing that they are prone to RROD, i am not the lad to waste money, just because of looks over functionality, but ive heard that some boards of the Original X360 doesn't have the RROD issue, i think these boards are the 65nm Jasper or Falcon, i can't quite recall it

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

20. 437
    Md Hesam

Md Hesam Member

Home Page:
    ylod means shutdown itself after 5 seconds
    am I right?