Backup of user data

Discussion in 'General PS VITA Discussion' started by Berion, Mar 19, 2017.

1. 2,581
    Berion

Berion Developer

Due to awesome uma0 mounting hack, finally appear a sense of using my PSTV for games. However I cannot play any game if I'm not sure how to backup my data in case data corruption, console dead etc. etc.

Trophies are in "ur0:/user/00/trophy/" right? So it's sufficient to just copy this folder and can I restore it in future on other console (in assumption that user NP Account ID match)?

Saves I found in "ux0:/user/00/savedata/<Game ID>/". So what's the point of apps like Save Data Manager? I heard that it grab decrypted saves but what's the point of that? On PS3 also saves are encrypted and I don't see a reason to decrypt them until I want cheating or resigning. Could someone explain this to me because I feel much confused by this. In theory I can just copy those files and restore them on other console?

https://www.vitadevwiki.com/index.php?title=Files_On_(PSTV)
    I don't have "savedata0:/" partition. Is this normal? If saves are on UR0 why there is such partition?

And last question: what contain CMA backup? Saves encrypted or decrypted (besides backup container encryption). Also Trophies?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. 12,576
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

from what I recall, u need to use save data manager to back up saves. I once tried to just copy over the save, and it didn't work. this was for tales of hearts r. save data manager fixed the problem though. @atreyu187 is likely to know the answers for sure since he's the vita master here. ;)

3. 12,576
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@Berion , look at my tutorial on trophies. there's a database file like the app.db that lists the trophies as recorded by the .trp files. it shows what u've unlocked and not. u can even unlock trophies u don't have if u feel like cheating. ;) just don't sync if u do that. lol

4. 5,910
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    I use DEX shell and CMA

5. 12,576
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

oh, yeah, u can backup just the saved data that way. now, I remember that. never used dex shell though. I backed up my pstv and vita with cma's backup utility, and extracted each in case I needed something specific from the backup. :D

6. 5,910
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    DEX shell or just use Vita save manager. As for games you can use VPK Creator app if a game already installed or Mai/Vitamin (depends on the game as some work with Vitamin that don't with Mai and vice versa) and some require frankendumps with mixed of Mai tools as Mai v2 seems to be the best but ex has more features. Then there's games like Dead Nation that do not work with it but work perfectly fine with vitamin

7. 2,581
    Berion

Berion Developer

There is any consequences of using DEX shell? Like for IDs, saves, trophies or something? Any limits on retail PSTV?

8. 2,581
    Berion

Berion Developer

I have made some tests with saves and as I suspected, it's sufficient to just copy saves outside the console to backup them. All are restorable. I even deleted "ux0:/user/00/savedata_backup/" to avoid restoring them back by console. Probably the same is with trophies.

So, PFS Encryption just replaced PFD Protection. :P Decrypting saves matter only if someone want use them on another account.

However, I have not any game which doesn't save saves on ur0/ux0 but on cartridges. So this aspect doesn't tested by me.