Benchmarking or stress test for PS3?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by gmipf, Feb 12, 2017.

1. 19
    gmipf

gmipf Member

Is there any Benchmark or stress test utility available for PS3? Especially to stress the RSX for YLOD endurance.

2. 1,933
    Berion

Berion Developer

No.

And I even don't see a purpose of such tool. You cannot foresee YLOD based on any benchmark (and the best professional benchmarks are już best looking games from 1st party dev :P).

3. 7,374
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Yes :)

http://store.brewology.com/ahomebrew.php?brewid=210
    True. :)

@gmipf if you want to stress rsx then buy GTA5 go to sea (but not underwater, you need to be on surface), and start turning your camera by using right analog. You can put rubber on analog stick to make it "automatic". I never found nothing that stressed my ps3 more than this. Have fun while destroying your ps3 ;)

T.A.U, Zar, gmipf and 3 others like this.
  4. 3,065
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

I recommend JRPG (Like Tales) or GTA5 for that. avoid all those first party games that are super optimized to get the most out of SPU inside CELL BE.

T.A.U and WTF-IGO like this.
  5. 618
    self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Any form of memtest or something compiled for the ps3?

If my ps3 was a pc, I'd be almost convinced it has bad ram due to some of the random lockups I get.
    Never had a problem actually in game though.... so maybe it's just my quirky CECHLxx doing its thing and not quite agreeing with some of the hacks. lol

T.A.U and DeViL303 like this.
  6. 19
    gmipf

gmipf Member

I had already used Uncharted 2 with the right analog stick to turn the camera. But not really a comfortable way.

Maybe it is possible to use an opensource memtest software with an unix installation?

self_slaughter likes this.
  7. 7,374
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Why exactly you are doing this? Something is wrong with your PS3? Have any issue?

Nope, is x86 and x64 only. But Memtest for MAC can be ported. I'm not sure even if someone port it, that will be fully usable. Probably full range of memory is not accessible for write by linux or any other PS3 app.

https://github.com/Vavius/memtest/tree/master/source

T.A.U and self_slaughter like this.
  8. 4,471
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

LOL, every time someone asked me about stress tests i always sayd to use the last of us, in the areas where there is water nearby
    I find funny the test you are suggesting is also related with water, and makes me think yours is more stresing

The tests i was making with the last of us are a bit long story, but i will explain because is interesting and a bit funny
    It was when the fancontroll by software was introduced in iris for first time, and i was trying to imagine an accurate way to meassure the "heat peaks" that moves up and down very fast inside games
    The idea was to configure the temperatures that drives each of the fan speeds in a very close range, lets say...

60ºC = 0x40 speed
    63ºC = 0x50 speed
    66ºC = 0x60 speed
    69ºC = 0x70 speed
    72ºC = 0x80 speed
    75ºC = 0x90 speed

That way the heat meassure precission is 3ºC... by listening at the fan noise (and counting how many steps went up or down) i could know the temperature
    The numbers i just posted i just invented, is just an example, but of course i choosed them in the range of "stable working temperatures" i knew my PS3 was moving while playing

The idea was working pretty fine, i made tests with a few games i had at that time (TLOU and GOW ascension won the horny stallion competition btw)

But after the tests, it was working so fine that i kept that config while playing TLOU entirelly from start to end
    You know TLOU has lot of parts that are very calmlly, there are no enemies, etc...
    My surprise came when i was on one of that calmlly areas and suddenlly the fan started spinning up like crazy
    But there was nothing on screen, not fancy graphics, no complex landscapes, no special cloud effects, etc... nothing important, but still the fan spinning like crazy
    I entered a bit in DEF CON 1 mode... dont remember if i turned off the console at that point but probably because it was driving me crazy

Well, the reason why this happened is because i was walking and getting close to an small lake that was at a closed road end in the street after turning a couple of corners
    In other words... the game was loading the graphics for the next area before i could see it
    The lake had nothing special, no wave effects in the surface, nothing specially stressing but still it seems the naughty dog game engine gets crazy with water LOL

There are not much water areas in TLOU, later in the game near the ending appears other area with water flowing fast and happens the same, but this one is justifyed because has big graphics load

The shocking water area is the one im mentioning, dont remember the name of the city, but is the first time you see water in the game

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  9. 19
    gmipf

gmipf Member

That sounds good, so I have to play through the first area with sea. How long I have to play? Can I save my position on the sea? I have never played TLOU.

10. 4,471
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I think the test kozarovv suggested is easyer to do because in gta5 you can go to the sea at any point of your playthrought
    In TLOU there are only a couple of areas with water, so you need a savegame before that point, or play the entire game just for the test, so is not handy

The area i mentioned is this one btw...

T.A.U, kozarovv and gmipf like this.
  11. 7,374
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Little off topic, but if someone is looking for similar test place for PS4 then... No no is not GTA5 on water this time. Most heat you can get is.. Assassins Creed unity (fully unlocked) map view. No idea how Ubisoft did it, but when i'm turning on map view and starting to rotate it I can feel pain of my PS4. Is getting loud like on PS3 fan test. I never reached this fan speed in any other game on PS4, even in GTA5 water it wasn't so bad.

T.A.U likes this.
  12. 19
    gmipf

gmipf Member

On PS4 I would do it with FF15.

13. 9
    HNat

HNat Forum Noob

Measuring power, I might try to replace my 120v psu with a 220v one, just need to see how much power it draws, I can't find a 220v psu for fat in my country, will search more, but if I fail to I will just go with the D.I.Y. route.

Edit:
    nvm, my "120v" ps3 is actually 100-240v, I learned this by looking at the psu. Misleading housing. Is this some cheap way to discourage imports or something?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Berion likes this.