Best Graphics Settings

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by BeaterEngineering, Nov 19, 2019.

1. 42
    BeaterEngineering

BeaterEngineering Forum Noob

Hello ps3xploits, can I ask what is the best settings to get the a better video quality when playing using PS3?

I have already set the "RGB to Full" & "PS - Smoothing to On".

Sorry, i'm just new in this scene. Thank you in advance.

2. 1,782
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    You mean you want the best picture quality on PlayStation and PlayStation2 Format Software, the settings you'll get with the PlayStation3 for Backwards Compatibility is quite limited, but you also need to keep in mind that the Emulators used are meant to stay true to they're original hardware counterparts, don't expect any upresing, upscaling the PlayStation3 will do, depending to the resolutions set, in the PlayStation its generally between 480i/p all the way to 1080i/p, for PlayStation2 is a different story, depending on what model you use, the Backwards Compatible Models go up to 1080p,while the Non-Backwards Compatible stay at 720p tops, remember this is upscaling with smoothing kicking in, the image will be cleaner indeed, but don't expect mind blowing results, the internal resolution is still 240/480p for the PlayStation and 480/576p for the PlayStation2, and some Titles as 1080i, but the internal upscaling does a good job on its own, better than the original RAW hardware picture you get with SCART-RGB or Component Cables,but not ground-breaking, unless you have a trained eye, you won't tell the difference.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

3. 42
    BeaterEngineering

I mean, for ps3 games, sir. Should I use the default settings or there's an other option? but thank you for this one.

4. 1,782
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    For PlayStation3 Software Format, there are no settings, what the PS3 gives you its what you'll get, there is no altering that, the Smoothing Setting and Upscaling are only for PlayStation and PlayStation2 Software Format, for PlayStation3 the Title Resolution will be dictated on the PlayStation3s Resolution, plus the Title's resolution algorithm, plus what your TV Set supports.

Imagine this example, your TV its 3840x2160p (a bit of an exaggeration but ill serve as an example), the PS3 is set to 1920x1080p, the Software Format its 1024x768p, the PS3 will upscale the 1024x768p to the closest algorithm, that is 1280x720p, and apply an Upscaling Filter to smooth out the image, and that's it, your TV will switch to 720p instead.

Blurry PS3 Games are usually sub 720p,which a majority of them are, Native 1080p are evident, but thats mainly 1st Party Titles or less demanding titles, such as Gran Turismo.

BeaterEngineering likes this.
  5. 42
    BeaterEngineering

Ohh.. I see. One more thing, if I will use a HMDI 2.0 instead the regular one will it have a slight difference?

I'm thinking of buying another HMDI cable "Vention HMDI 2.0".

6. 1,782
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    No it won't make a difference, as far as i am aware, all HDMI Cables are built the same, there are no HDMI 2.0 Cables, but there are HDMI 2.0 Ports, in order to get 4K, you'll need an HDMI 2.0 Port, if its 1.4a your limited to 1440p i believe.

If you plug an HDMI 1.4a device to a HDMI 2.0 TV, you'll see the same 1080p image from the PS3, HDMI 2.0 is backwards compatible with the 1.4a spec

DeViL303 and BeaterEngineering like this.
  7. 7,243
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

It wont make any difference to the quality in this case IMO, But just so you know there are differences in HDMI cables, I don;t know a whole lot about it, but for example I have some that don't support CEC. I have even seen non CEC supporting cables shipped with devices that do support CEC.

Also I think if you have an interference problem then all cables are definitely not equal. The high end ones are still a complete rip off though so I would not recommend spending lots on a cable or anything like that, but a €2 HDMI cable is probably going to be crap. :)

@BeaterEngineering All you can do is have a decent TV, decent cable and have your TV set up correctly. Nothing can be done on the console really. You might find that setting the console resolution to the games native resolution might help, not sure of that.

sandungas and BeaterEngineering like this.
  8. 42
    BeaterEngineering

Thank you to all of you guys. I learned a lot.

DeViL303 likes this.
  9. 745
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

The smoothing option isn't for Ps3 games.

About the RGB range you should set "Limited", since Ps3 games don't actually support full-range. Setting full-rgb on Ps3 just shift the coordinates (black moves from 16 to 0 and whithe from 235 to 255), it is usefull only in case you connect the Ps3 to a PC monitor that only supports Full RGB range (0-255), but some tests you can find online seem to demostrate that's just a coordinates reallocation, actual shades remain 16-235.

So if you're using a Tv, make sure you have it also correctly set on limited range (since from more than a decade all Tvs support both ranges).
    Check in your tv's option menu. If you have a Panasonic tv it is correctly named RGB: limited/full, on Samsung is Black: low (corresponding to limited range) or normal (corresponding to full range), on LG is Black: low (limited) or high (full), etc...

Usually you don't need to change Brightness and Contrast, they're well set by default.

About HDMI cables you won't notice any quality difference. More expensive cables are better only for very long distances.

You actually need a 1.4 cable if you want to play in 3d (your tv must support it). 1.3 cables could work too, but it depends. With a certified 1.4 (or following) cable you're 100% sure.
    2.0 HDMI cables if I'm not wrong are for up to 4k 60hz signals.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  10. 6,088
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

At this point you should only buy HDMI cables with CEC support... just because the consoles supports it since the PS3, the PS4 supports it too, and the PS5 will support it too, also most modern TV's supports it too

The image quality depends a lot of your TV... the first thing you should check is if your TV have some kind of "game mode"
    In samsung TV's you will know if is enabled because appears a notification at top-left corner with a gamepad icon
    In that mode the HDMI signal is not "post processed"... in other words your TV will display the HDMI image as "raw". This is very convenient for consoles

After that you should play a couple of games with lot of dark/black colors (kind of games where you play inside caverns, dungeons, whatever, terror games, etc...)
    That adjustments of black colors is the biggest annoyance... most TV's displays some pixelation in the black areas... your goal is to reduce that pixelation a bit

11. 410
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

I wonder why can't PS2 emulator in non BC PS3 upscale the video to full screen. Why PS1 games don't get upscaled to full screen? Why we are forced to play on windowed version?

Is it too hard to build an emulator that can properly upscale PS2/PS1 games to full screen without compromising on quality (like bad stretching of image)?

12. 2,311
    Berion

Berion Developer

@BeaterEngineering "Smoothing: on" will make output image worst. ;)

Alundra.png

@snkplkn It is not to difficult. It was some marketing/behaviouristic decision. They would simply make full screen scaling via nearest neighbour and then output screen would looks awesome. Also for those peoples who like a little stretch image in wide (or full wide hacks, or just full stretching).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  13. 745
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I didn't knew the HDMI cable matters for CEC support. I had all kinds of HDMI cable (mostly cheaper ones) since 2009 and I never had problems with CEC, with Ps3 or DVD/BD player.

Unfortunately dark areas are bad on lcd tvs (and OLEDs too, just a little less noticeable) due to the perceived motion blur. For decreasing it to the minimum you have to turn all the way down the tv sharpness.
    The sharpness command adds white pixels on objects contours, to give the idea of stand out detail. Maybe it can be useful on low resolution games, but for HD ones you should eliminate it, it just false the picture.
    On Samsung (like on most ones) tvs you have to decrease it to 0. But certain models can lower the correct sharpness of the signal, so you have to check online.

I too when played Ps3 on LCD used to raise up the brightness on dark areas (like the sewers on Uncharted 2 beginning) to mitigate the "pixelation". However it completely false the right color values.
    Samsung TVs are usually correctly set by default (with brightness at 45). However you can check it with the standard patterns. Black must be at 16 and white at about 240 (better to leave some margin for some film with "whiter than white" scenes), raise the contrast to lower the white clip.

… I can't upload the Black and White cplipping patterns 'cause they're too large even zipped. Btw they're findable online

DeViL303 and Algol like this.
  14. 328
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

If your TV has a "Dynamic Contrast" setting, you could try enabling that. I enable it on mine, gives everything a much nicer look idk how to describe it exactly but I like it. I never had much luck with RGB Full Range or Super White (Don't even know what super white really does) all it ever did was make everything too dark, even after calibrating the TV's picture like an amateur. Still would have loss of detail and black crush.

There's loads of png images you can easily find on the webs to help you calibrate your TV if you want to do that. Just save the images and load them on your PS3 while toying with TV's display settings. Apart from all that there really isn't much else you can do to make PS3 games look better. I'll add that smoothing has made some PSX games look even worse (Legacy of Kain, Army Men series etc.)

15. 42
    BeaterEngineering

I never thought that setting up a console needs a right component too!?

16. 745
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Super white simply allow rec.709 (YUV aka Y-Pb/Cb-Pr/Cr) material (BD films) to go Beyond the shade 235 (black will remain at 16).
    If I remember correctly, Oz: The Great and Powerful has some scenes with "wither than white" colors. If you leave the super white off, you'll crush into the white the shades Beyond 235 (your tv too must support WTW).
    This have nothing to do with games (they output in RGB, thus refer to RGB range settings).

For avoid to crush detail in games setting full-rgb you must set your tv also to full-range.

about the dynamic contrast, it is actually a "patch" to cover the tv's native contrast limits (and for attract the eye at first glance) causing color mismatching.
    With a good tv set there's absolutely no need of it. Unfortunately with nowadays Tvs you Always have to come down to some compromises.

Right, however you should download the images/videos from some calibration forum. It needs a little knowledge to be sure a pattern is a good one, if you write "black clipping" on google images you find a lot of bad patterns mixed with good ones.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  17. 6,088
    sandungas

I realized about it when i bought a samsung TV, eventually i did read about CEC and boosted my interest but i was not able to make it work... so i had to google a lot about wtf was happening in my setup
    Later i realized the HDMI cable i had was HDMI v1.0
    Eventually i found someone mentioning the PS3 needs the second revision of the CEC commands, it can be seen in this table in wikipedia
    HDMI v1.0 cables supports CEC commands v1.0 but the llist of commands supported is very basic (nothing interesting for consoles as far i remember), the PS3 needs an HMDI v1.3 cable (or newer)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Feature_support
    [​IMG]

As far i remember.. yeah i had to decrease a lot the sharpness, lol (not sure if i reduced it to zero, i need to check it now you are mentioning it)
    Before that i had it as 100% sharpness and the games was looking ugly in dark areas... like watching a video in mpeg with huge compression

I also was searching in google because there is some people that published his accurate settings for samsung TVs (and this settings applyes to most samsung TVs overall... because the menus and features are very similar)
    I tryed some of them... then tryed to fine tune them by myself... but "meh"... i find this screen configuration in TVs very frustrating, there is always a point when i get bored and i stop changing them (but still having the feeling that im doing something wrong)

I will check what you mentioned, thanks for the tips :)

DeViL303 and Peppe90 like this.
  18. 6,088
    sandungas

A bit offtopic and long story but...

Do you know in ManaGunZ settings there is an option to adjust the screen ?, in it there is an option that displays this image, i made it from scratch... so i can modify it if you give us some suggestion about what to do with it... or zar could recolor or animate it on runtime
    [​IMG]

The initial goal of that setting in ManaGunz is because the graphics library (named tiny3D) uses a virtual grid that adapts to the screen size. That virtual grid have a size of 848x512 units
    This way the user have freedom to adjust the grid size for his screen
    If you make some calculation you are going to realize the aspect ratio of the grid is not 4:3 neither 16:9 ... is something in between them
    The point is we dont have an accurate correspondency of tiny3d units with the pixels on the screen
    And the graphic library generates some blur just because is stretching most of the images (except the ones at full screen)

Anyway... what do you think about the actual managunz screen settings ?... do you have some idea to improve it ?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Peppe90, DeViL303 and Major_Pothead92 like this.
  19. 745
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I see. I must have always bought 1.3 HDMI cables.

Samsung TVs have sharpness at 50/100 by default in STANDARD mode. You really raise it to 100%? This way the picture would look like a disturbed signal with teeming white dots all over the screen!
    You should definitely turn it to 0 for having the picture as it is without add anything external.

Is impossible to calibrate a tv without a colorimeter and a pattern generator. However it is possible to to a raw eye based generic calibration of basic color levels. You'd need to follow a guide like this (they have the patterns downloadable): https://www.avmagazine.it/forum/88-...63-guida-alla-calibrazione-di-base-di-un-hdtv

or this one (that's in english): http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

Pratically:
    - you load the black clipping and adjust the tv brightness until 16 is black and you can barely see 17.
    - load the white clipping and raise the contrast until you have white at about 235/240 (for games, in limited-RGB is good to clip at 235 for maximum contrast dynamics)
    - sharpness to 0 (there's a pattern for it too for checking)
    - saturation, is really simple following the pattern
    - gamma, there isn't much you can do with only your eyes, just check with the pattern if the greyscale raise homogeneously from bottom to top. Default setting is good most times.
    - color temperature (really important). Here you need some experience for doing something good, otherwise you could worse the situation. With my 2009 Samsung Tvs the better preset is Warm 2, but it's greenish by default. So I had to change some value in the white balance menu.
    Most Tvs standard mode, tends to a cold temperature. Usually you need to lower the blue in the white balance menu.

sandungas likes this.
  20. 6,088
    sandungas

While looking at it now i just realized the newest versions supports HDR and VRR (i guess compatible with freesync)
    That features seems to be a "must have" for new consoles :D