Best guide to update & protect a Wii

Discussion in 'Wii' started by atreyu187, Feb 2, 2016.

1. 5,829
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    So my kid was give. A Wii today which is hacked on 4.3 but doesn't have boot2 capabilities. I got priiloader installed and working. She was given the device as her friends dad got it and it kept prompting for a system update to run disc based games despite being on 4.3U which I found weird but guessing the stubs are older then the ones found on disc.

Anyhow I enabled priiloader and blocked all updates so got past that. Now my other Wii I force disc based games to run under IOS249 but this systems gives an error 002 so I had to disable this. I am wondering if it even has this as WiiFlow will not run, only loader I have had any luck with is the one already on the SD card which is USBLoaderGX but can't tell which IOS it uses or the build.

So basically I want to go through and update and install everything to make it work as well as my other one but its been years since I did that. Heck haven't played a game on it since Metroid Other M came put besides Wii Sports with my kid.

So I am rusty none the less and with it not having boot2 I am worried I will brick it beyond repair as most of the guides I have found are seemingly old and alot vary with info. That and all I see are for modding from a clean state. I don't know how to find out which hacks are installed and where to go from here. Any info on a good guide would be truly appreciated.

2. 571
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

No boot2 means no bootmii, right? Then you are pretty much ******.

3. 12,155
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I'd suggest pimp my wii. it'll tell u everything u need to know. also, many custom ios installers can generate a cfg file with information about what ios and version r installed on the system. also, it's not necessarily a bad thing that u can't install bootmii as boot2. it'll have to be an ios which does mean that that system must be bootable to reflash the nand if something catastrophic happens. each ios is like a mini-operating system which is probably y fail0verflow said that the wii's software was/is very fragile. however, most installers and whatnot have been perfected, so there's not much risk anymore. I've personally never had nand corruption despite having bootmii installed as boot2. good luck. I can help if u get stuck along the way, but like u, I've forgotten some things since it's been a while. the last thing I installed was dios mios for gamecube via hdd playability. also, in my opinion, cfg usb loader is a good alternative to wii flow.

edit: oh, u might want to install the homebrew browser as well if it's not already installed. it will scan/update homebrew like pimp my wii will do for ios.

4. 3,980
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
    I don't like PimpMyWii and won't suggest it myself,I have used it a few times and always ended up un-installing useless stuff and using a Mod Pack to install stuff correctly(the way I like)

Edit: haven't found any mod packs as of late (might have to dust off my Wii and re-Mod it)

everything you need and possibly might want is probably here ~~~> CompleteSoftmodGuide

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  5. 249
    playerkp420

playerkp420 Moderator Developer

Softmod any wii guide at wiihacks.com. It will get u all the latest cIOS and apps u need.

Don't pimp my wii. It will install a bunch of stuff u dont need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

6. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    thanks [MENTION=1879]playerkp420[/MENTION] this was the site I was actually wanting to post, they do have the best tutorials [MENTION=7]atreyu187[/MENTION] highly recommend this site

7. 12,155
    pinky

[MENTION=6]bitsbubba[/MENTION] , I'm the best tutorial. ;)

8. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    not on this subject, you said PimpMyWii :p even [MENTION=1879]playerkp420[/MENTION] said not to use

9. 12,155
    pinky

then, don't ask me when things go wrong.

10. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

11. 12,155
    pinky

I'm not a dummy. I hacked my wii manually. plus, pimp my wii is capable of doing the same on the wii-u. I'm now trying to help a friend make a jp vita English. pretty easy really.

12. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    nobody said you was a dummy, don't get buthurt :p I just prefer manually and have seen many warnings on using PimpMyWii, Plus the few times I used it I ended up re-modding from scratch as it install things that screwed with other things I wanted

13. 12,155
    pinky

I'll stick with the ps3 and 360 then...probably the latter mostly.

14. 12,155
    pinky

I originally installed a wiikey 1 before soft modding was possible. however, after my friend had soft-modded his wii, he talked me into doing the same with mine. it would've been more preferred since I could store games on the hdd and not wear out the laser of the optical drive. that was during the time of the twilight hack which is what I used to install homebrew channel. it didn't take long to understand custom ios for slots 249, 250, etc. which used a normal ios as a base. that was quite a while back... after dios mios was released, I realized how outdated most of my cios were. I was going to rip my gamecube games, but the ios that was being used by the app wasn't the correct ios to dump games. it was either ios 38 or 58 - can't remember which of the two - that was needed or the app would error out. ...so I had to reinstall everything from scratch. things had changed quite a bit, but they had also become much easier/quicker in the process. that's a brief history of my experience with the wii.

15. 7,606
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Moding of wii sucks, i spend few months to obtain full compatibility with all homebrew. Finally i sold it, when you are messing with wii you feel that all devs make all what is possible to make for incompatibility with other homebrew. This app need this ios as a base exactly in this slot, but next app will crash if this slot is used with this ios... ~190 empty ios blocks and lack of compatibility between homebrew because of them.

16. 12,155
    pinky

it's either ios 38 or 58 like I mentioned above that has the best compatibility. u can check if it's enabled by going into hackmii. though, it's true that it's a headache. I have the main three or four ios for game compatibility in ios 249, 250, etc. to have them all installed somewhere. not sure about any other usb loader, but cfg usb loader allows u to select the ios u want. however, there's still some compatibility problems. I remember castlevania adventure not working with mighty channels and custom ios, but working with regular ios on the home menu. I'm not sure if it's ever been fixed. there's a plugin for mighty channels with cfg usb loader though, so u can load the game through there instead of mighty channels.

17. 3,980
    bitsbubba

Home Page:
    been out of Wii scene a while myself WiiFlow was always my choice USB loader, I guess there are better alternatives to Dios Mios now (not as good compatibility but less glitches as they're apps and don't need custom Mios)

18. 12,155
    pinky

I think I might've tried wii flow once, but I've always used cfg usb loader as per a recommendation. I think the original dev(s) quit, so a modified version of the usb loader was created. with it, they've added dios mios support. iirc, dios mios, or gamecube compatibility, r ios 8 and ios 10. on top of dios mios, u can always save to an sd card. there's also a lite version which I think allows running gamecube images from the sd card.

19. 234
    Rudi Rastelli

Rudi Rastelli Developer

I would set up a nand emu like neek2o to protect my wii from bricking... and setup priiloader so that it boots right into it.