PS2 Best picture possible

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Neal Cullum, Apr 9, 2019.

1. 178
    Neal Cullum

Neal Cullum Member

Security/I.T Geek
    I bought myself a PS2 HDMI adapter and got it setup, had to blindly change picture settings as there was no picture on TV at first. Does anyone know how to get the best quality picture on PS2? I have enabled smooth graphics via settings but not sure anything else as picture still is a bit blurry.

2. 10,230
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

there's xploder. it's supposed to make the image look as good as possible. if you're using matrix, you can enable vga mode if your tv supports that. video is going to look pretty bad either way, especially with ps1 games. stuff is extremely blocky. I do have the xploder, but I don't remember if you needed a swap magic or if it's small enough for the memory card.

Neal Cullum likes this.
  3. 178
    Neal Cullum

Neal Cullum Member

Security/I.T Geek
    I am using free Mc Boot on a fat PS2. Just interested in playing my backup PS2 games, i have put them on the HDD, in OPL settings i changed the resolution to 480p i think, 560p there was no picture surprisingly.

4. 1,871
    Berion

Berion Developer

Whatever You do, and how You connecting PS2 to modern TV, You will get only blurry image. Because of... mathematics. Current matrixes can display only native resolution which i.e 1920x1080, so any other will be scalled. The stranger resolution, the worst effect will be.

You need something which will scale via nearest neighbour algorithm keeping the same AR and the same proportion. Only then You will get sharp and true image.

Neal Cullum likes this.
  5. 178
    Neal Cullum

Neal Cullum Member

Security/I.T Geek
    I bought a cheap PS2 HDMI adapter off ebay for roughly £5. Just connected to a small HD monitor. It'll suffice,i can't complain really as at the end of the day this is the PS2 lol.

6. 657
    umart666

umart666 Member

you have to be able to deal with 480i/480p,there's no way around it on the original hardware.first off you have to either optimize your display for that kind of signal,or find a suitable one.

if i were you i'd first reset your display settings and try to calibrate for best/deepest blacks and most dynamic color it can.you could try presets if your TV has it and/or 'game' mode,but ultimately for the most consumer displays it makes sense to go straight to manual.consult your display's manual,if you don't have a printed copy you will find it online for sure.

if your display/tv ends up unsuitable for 480p/480i and colors/signal designed for CRT's my honest recommendation is to find a suitable one,even if you don't want to go retro route and find a great CRT. IPS and VA panels are getting very good these days even cheaper ones,and more often than not will do even good 480p scaling (recently i've purchased dirt cheap VA TV for my bedroom and it really does a good job with scaling).of course,there are plenty of good CRT's for dirt cheap these days if you have a space for it.you don't have to go full PVM and BVM route,32-36" 4:3 trinitron's are amazing with PS2 and more often than not have s video (if you are in north america) and RGB (if you're in europe it's really really hard to find a trinitron without RGB/SCART input anyway).there are also very good toshiba and panasonic CRT's and they are even cheaper than trinitrons,basically people are giving them away.

i'd ditch that ps2/hdmi interface and try to go RGB even if you're in the north america and don't have any RGB input on the display.there are plenty of decent RGB convert devices for cheap these days.

to recap,ps2 on a really good 32"-36" 4:3 CRT is really something else.if you can't stomach 4:3 and 480p anymore then i'd suggest to dich the original hardware anyway,and go emulation route. pcsx2 with 720p on a proper calibrated display,good scanlines,couple of nice soft filters in 16:9 almost rivals CRT experience.i did a SH2 playthru that way and honestly my CRT's are much more just a nice furniture these days. :)

Neal Cullum likes this.
  7. 178
    Neal Cullum

Neal Cullum Member

Security/I.T Geek
    Thanks for the info! Very in-depth, this will help me on my path.

8. 1,038
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

BTW you mean:
    [​IMG]

It is only for enabling Texture Smoothing in PS1 games.

Neal Cullum likes this.
  9. 178
    Neal Cullum

Neal Cullum Member

Security/I.T Geek
    Damn it

10. 678
    TnA

TnA Member

Get the internal REAL PS2 HDMI, once it is out! ;)

11. 657
    umart666

umart666 Member

can`t find anything about it online.basically if it`s converting a component out to 720p/1080p and supports progressive mode then and only then would be worth it,but you can do the same with component cable and semi decent convertor anyway.if it uses RGB then it`s not worth it IMO,but then it wouldn`t name it `real`...

Neal Cullum likes this.
  12. 678
    TnA

TnA Member

No...

It is using another better method than the one you claimed to be worth it...

It is NOT converting anything BACK from analog to digital, but is directly tapping the digital unaltered signal from the DACs within the console...

It is from the same guys like some internal HDMI-Mods for other consoles like DC-HDMI, thus you can expect a similar boost in picture-clarity and additional features!

Neal Cullum likes this.
  13. 657
    umart666

umart666 Member

yeah,it crossed my mind when i`ve pressed enter that that`s the case...i know there are people that are really HC with their ps2 and want the original hardware on their big OLEDs but for me it kind of doesn´t make sense as emulation is already there,and good CRT is where´s at for full original hardware setup.

don´t get me wrong,more options is always better.

Neal Cullum likes this.
  14. 678
    TnA

TnA Member

Indeed. A VERY good CRT, PVM, BVM is preferable. @MyLifeinGaming are a great resource about that!

RetroRGB has something about @Citrus3000psi and his upcoming (internal) PS2 HDMI on his channel and site.

Neal Cullum likes this.
  15. 178
    Neal Cullum

Neal Cullum Member

Security/I.T Geek
    I've noticed since updating Free McBoot to latest version i now have GSM settings so at least i have improved how OPL themes look