PS3HEN Best practices to avoid getting banned?

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by bobdotexe, Jul 22, 2019.

1. 2
    bobdotexe

bobdotexe Forum Noob

I know this has likely been asked, a bunch of times in different ways, but this is a little different.

I've been messing with mods since the original Pandora's battery days, and even modded my vita a few years back, and what I've heard is there tend to be 'fairly safe' and 'Kinda risky' activities you can do with your system.

For example, with the vita, I don't think I've heard of anyone getting banned for being connected to PSN while using homebrew.
    However messing with trophies tend to throw up some flags.

I'm wondering if anyone has similar guidance for PS3 modding.

So far I'm aware of the baseline:
    • Don't launch hen from your main profile
    • Don't Install packages from your main profile.
    • Don't be connected to PSN while launching hen.

But I've been wondering about how risky other things would be, for example:

1. (Offline) Enable hen, switching profiles to your main account then running homebrew/injected ps2 games.
    2. (Offline) edit/inject save files for your main account.
    3. (Offline) Play dumped games on your main account.
    4. (After enabling Hen) Switch your main profile then connect to psn.
    5. Playing dumped games while connected to PSN (single player).
    6. (offline) Using webMAN tools from your main account.

I know we don't have specifics on what exactly sony collects data or how it's used,
    And I don't plan to try all 5 of those things,
    I'm just wondering how risky it would be to do them, then to later connect to psn (from reboot) to download some games.

Speculation's fine, but I'd also like to know if they've caused anyone to get banned.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  2. 151
    Coro

Coro Member

you should look into psnpatch to block cfw syscalls if doing 4 or 5. others are fine

3. 2
    bobdotexe

bobdotexe Forum Noob

Thanks!

Does PSNPatch work on hybrid firmware?

4. 2
    wY04

wY04 Forum Noob

nope psnpatch did not work

5. 1,552
    Louay

Louay Senior Member

College Student,GAMING,REPAIRING,XMB Modder
    Home Page:
    • launching HEN from dummy profile won't save that as HEN patches file in RAM not in specif user and HEN exit in category_game.xml which shared by all PS3 users and the patches is in RAM and RAM is used by any thing in the SYSTEM including the users
    • Installing PKG from dummy profiles won't avoid ban as all profiles install package to a common folder ' dev_hdd0/game/' so nothing will change
    • That will avoid ban but if you are not loged in while HEN to play game then what is the purpose of askin here héhé
    What you have to do is mount your game from any game manager or webMan mod and use SEN Enabler or webMan Mod to disable CFW Syscalls and this will reduce ban risk but not 100% protection

if you want no ban risk just install ofw 4.84 and buy legit game from Digital Playstation Store or Disc version and you are good

6. 139
    remlei

remlei Member

its actually much safer to just go with HEN since you can just disable any kind of CFW related features thing by a single reboot, since the changes only persist on RAM.

while the CFW guys need to do some hassle things like swapping hdd (they call this dual boot, seriously if your doing this frequently just use HEN its basically the same thing) or running app and cross fingers that you wont get banned.

the safest way is just play the disc game without running exploit, this is easy on HEN modded systems since they can just run the game straight off without enabling HEN.

For digital games, for the past 2 years im using it while online, I can confidently say that any "official digital version of the game found on psn that you install as pkg" are safe to play online using the rif signing method using ps3xploit resigner with HAN exploit, any games that is modded like the cfw2ofw game conversions and unofficial PS1/PS2/PSP pkg packed games have a high chance of ban due to non-existent gameid that is sent to sony servers. In my case my HAN modded system back then only have official digital version of the games installed on it, no cfw2ofw games installed on it nor the psp/ps1/ps2 game conversion installed on it, and played those games while signed in to PSN.

For now, If I want to play online, Ill just play the official digital version of the game and enable HAN instead of HEN, and go online. Since that's the only way I know its absolutley safe to play online, even the problematic CoD series games that gets you banned if you have CFW on it.

7. 7,089
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Please dont spread misinformation!

Lots of stuff in that post is wrong.

Swapping hdd and dual boot is not an alternative to HEN and that is used for other reasons. PSNpatch is just as effective on CFW as it is on HEN.

Not basically the same thing at all and people do not normally do that just to use PSN on CFW.
    This is not true in lots of ways.
    This is also all wrong. Not "absolutely safe" with HAN, also the checks that some COD games do are for installed homebrew, so if you have certain homebrew installed it does not just go away just because you only enabled HAN.

For example, when you are on HAN/HEN you are using DEX modules while on CEX, including the main explore plugin sprx, so even if you dont enable HEN or HAN you still have a modified system.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    STLcardsWS likes this.
  8. 139
    remlei

remlei Member

well I wastn banned after all, but maybe technically speaking your correct. but for me, anything that related to cfw goes banned, not even psn patch thingy helped at all. I dont even have a single homebrew installed on my HEN so that's that and solely rely on webman's backup loading feature.

im talking about experience and throwing everything about technicalities.

CFW >> Banned (reagarless of safety)
    HAN with official digital games >> not banned
    HEN not activated with official discs >> not banned
    CFW2OFW converts >> banned

several of my ps3 were sacrificed on this experiment, after all I run some sort of ps3 arcarde kind of thingy, most of my ps3 cfw were banned. no cheats just playing as is.

9. 7,089
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Not sure what you are basing this on?
    I had a console online for years with no protection at all, and it was fine.
    Also not sure what you are basing this on?
    What about all the thousands of people who are using these right now.

Your own experience? Are you saying you got banned on CFW even when using PSNpatch, and then banned again due to a CFW2OFW game?

And even if that is true, and you got banned twice, it means nothing overall. My consoles are fine with CFW, along with 95%+ of the users here.

ntodek likes this.
  10. 742
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Unless your a Sony employee, no one really knows exactly what is used to detect CFW/Moddifications.
    What we do know is the increased risk based on certain games. And how they maybe executed (game mods, mod menus etc)
    CoD games are notorious for bans. Probably because of the increased userbase, therefore cheating is more impactful on the game.

I've played online with CFW console without disabling CFW syscalls (accidently, this was CoD also) didn't get banned.
    Given, this was much more recent. And I'd assume the frequency of banned accounts/consoles.

@remlei, some of what you say isn't strictly correct. @DeViL303 mentioned a few but one he didn't is that you mentioned you use webman mod on HEN, but use HAN to get around that... The problem is webman is homebrew... You said you don't have homebrew... But webman clearly is.

HEN/HAN is a relatively new thing compared to CFW. So really, HEN/HAN has only been connected to PSN in the past 1.5 years... And seeing as Sony released the Ps4 6 years ago and the ps5 is looking to be released next year, I doubt sony really cared about banning users on Ps3.
    Please note, this is just my theory, this is not fact.

DeViL303 and ntodek like this.
  11. 742
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    To OP,

Best bet is to use WebMAN MODs 'Disable CFW syscalls' button combo which is :but tri:+:but r2:

If playing a game online:
    Mount game with webman
    Disable CFW syscalls :but tri:+:but r2:
    Boot your game
    Login to PSN within game
    Profit

ntodek likes this.
Tags: