Bitfunx SATA, 500gb samsung, browser 2.00 troubles

Discussion in 'General PS2 Discussion' started by Fin9ersMcGee, Jan 27, 2020.

1. 978
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Easy now people,

I've been getting back into the ps2 again and seem to have stumbled a little.
    Bare in mind that this was all crammed into a few hours last night before I went to sleep. So the problem may be due to my tired eyes and foggy mind.

Some background.

First messed with ps2 back in the the late 2000's. Slowly progressing and following developments of freemcboot. I was unemployed at the time, using a slim ps2 with USB (as you know game compatibility isn't amazing on USB) so couldn't buy network adapter or an IDE HDD.
    I skimmed over that ribbon cable/PCB/IDE board... thing. That allows to connect a drive to a slim 7xxx. But no money at the time. Ended up selling that slim.

Fast forward to about 2015, I bought a fat at a very cheap price. I had a little money to spend so I also bought a network adapter and a used 40gb IDE drive.
    I spent weeks learning and setting it up. All working delightfully. But alas... 40gb is a pretty small amount of space. And having spent the remainder of my expendable cash on network adapter and hdd, I couldn't buy the SATA upgrade board and use a spare 500gb HDD I had floating around. So, after playing a few games my attention focused on Ps3 and my ps2 was replaced on the shelf.

Now we get to around present time.
    I dusted off my ps2, researched some more and found a prebuilt hdd image containing some goodies such as Browser 2.00 and BBN. Another area of the ps2 I hadn't known about. So I grabbed my 40gb and hooked it up to PC, flashed the image and threw a couple games on there for testing.

I honestly love the way you can browse the HDD with Browser 2.00. And BBN looks so pretty and polished.

Now to last night. I had ordered one of those SATA boards for my network adapter (bitfunx ps2 sata v.2.0) and it arrived.
    Fiddled loads trying to unscrew the torx screws but managed to make the switch. I hooked up my 500gb to PC and did the same as previously, flashed the HDD image with hddRAWcopytool and then used winhiip to transfer my Ps2 collection to the hdd, a total of 56 games. Popped the hard drive into the NA and then all into the ps2 drive bay. Hooked it all up to TV and turned her on.

This is where my problems start....

So, first boot.
    Booted fine. I go into the browser. No HDD icon.... Hmmm...
    Ohhh..... Doh! Left my FMCB memory card in. It was booting that instead of FHDB.

Removed fmcb mem card and fired her up a second time.
    Infinite black screen... Hmmm...
    I thought maybe a fresh install of FHDB would remedy the situation. So I popped fmcb mem card in, along with usb and fmcb installer. Installed fhdb. All went fine.

Removed fmcb mem card. Rebooted ps2.
    Infinite black screen again.

I had my saves memory card in slot 1 (mc0) so thought I'd pull that out just incase it was messing with something.

This time it did boot. Main fhdb page with all the usual selectables for ulw/wle, esr etc etc.

So now I think everything is finally working. I got into browser to check if the HDD icon is there.
    But after I select browser. I get and infinite black screen again.....

Now I haven't the foggyest idea what the problem is now...

Is the bitfunx sata board defect...
    Did the hddRAWcopy mess up in some way...
    Are there too many games on hdd...

Any help or points in the right direction so I can research what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

EDIT: Just to clarify, I missed a part of my story. I installed a few games on 500gb without flashing the prebuilt image and tested them with network adapter and opl just to see if sata board was working. It did work. It is reading off the hdd. I also tested network connections (so I don't have to keep hooking hdd up to PC) and none of that worked at all (opl manager, hdl dumb, hdl server, opl server. Basically every networking program and app for ps2)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  2. 96
    krHACKen

krHACKen Developer

Use SUDC4 (will PM you that in a moment) in order to instal the patched HDD OSD
    or
    Install FHDB first, then copy the patched HDD OSD files into the HDD partitions (cannot grab you the files atm).

EDIT : Speaking of raw dumps. I forgot to mention that HDD OSD and PSBBN dumps are available over at obscuregamers.com, along with PSBBN downloadable contents that got preserved.

uyjulian, TnA, Algol and 1 other person like this.
  3. 978
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Thanks bud. If I could like this twice, I would. Lol.
    I had an immense amount of trouble locating RAW dumps online. Will have a browse later tonight when I'm back from work

4. 978
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Ahhhh. Sony Utilty disc. Awesome stuff.

One thing though. Trying to understand why the RAW dump worked on my 40gb but not in my 500gb.
    Im pretty sure the image was setup with 48bit LBA. Which was my only thought as to why it may not work

5. 96
    krHACKen

krHACKen Developer

I believe that the HDD OSD KELF only has the patch for the genuine HDD check (made with the controlled corruption attack), and its ATA device driver was not replaced. Crossing the LBA28 limit on this, causes the console to freeze on blackscreen when entering the navigator.

Later, an other hack was released, with the ATAD driver replaced by a homebrew one. But the KELF was either a hacked/injected DVDELF, or compressed with an incompatible packer, or both; it could not be decrypted on DEX units and FHDB couldn't run it neither.

Then someone (not sure I can name him here..) made properly patched/packed/signed binaries of the Japanese HDD OSD version 1.00.

Then the fourth iteration of SUDC.

Then the HDD dumps on ASSEMblergames and obscure gamers...

EDIT : Also, I forgot to mention : No LBA48 patch was made for the PSBBN.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    uyjulian, Fin9ersMcGee and TnA like this.
  6. 1,390
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Yes, the images don't include 48Bit-patched versions, so either install them (Browser 2.0 48Bit-patched and there is no 48Bit-patched BB. Navi sadly... :() via SUDC4, or manually copy the patched files. ;)

Fin9ersMcGee likes this.
  7. 978
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    In an ideal world I'd boot straight to BBN.

Not a problem though. Can still boot games through browser 2.00 or just stick with OPL.

So I must have been using a patched 24bit LBA dump.
    Using the SUDC4 will be better I think as I prefer to start from scratch so I can learn and better understand the procedures.

Plus I need the experience for a future project I'm working on

TnA likes this.
  8. 1,390
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

I probably would do so as well (autostart BB.Navi, especially on an SSD) along with a button, to start into the OSDSYS/HDD-OSD!
    You can let it automatically boot/start on your old HDD though!

YES, HDLGameInstaller and Updater is GREAT, to make them bootable via HDD-OSD AND BB.Navi AND on PSX, AFAIR! :)

I forgot to mention one thing!
    You can leave your FMCB-MC connected!!! Just turn the OSDSYS-Function "SkipHD" OFF!
    Then it will initially boot FMCB and if both versions are new enough, it will only show the logo once!

During the FMCB-Logo you can use FMCB's Button-Combos and then it will boot FHDB and then either the HDD-OSD or BB.Navi, or however you set it up!

I REALLY hope "someone who wants/prefers to remain A-/anonymous" takes care of the "issue" with BB.Navi and patches one or multiple of its versions to 48Bit!

I really hope that we will have a multi-langual, 48Bit-patched version, with all features of older versions which had been stripped and all updates...

I would LOVE to see (PS)BB.Navi working on my 1TB-SSD!!! :)

Fin9ersMcGee likes this.
  9. 978
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Maybe in future we are lucky and a 48bit patch for BBN is created.

The only downside with using my 40gb now is I'll have to deconstruct the network adapter and switch back the sata to ide. Much work lol

10. 978
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    What is LBA 28bit size limit...
    Not sure if 1000=1 or 1024=1 here... So it'll be around 180gb I'd assume.

I have a spare 250gb sata drive also. From an old ass pc that I RAIDed together a mishmash of hdds lol.

Can one nullify sector's of a Hdd so it will be the correct size for LBA 24bit?

11. 1,390
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

512(Byte)*2^28(Sectors)=137.438.953.472Byte

137.438.953.472Byte/1024/1024/1034=128GibiByte or...
    137.438.953.472Byte/1000/1000/1000=137.44 (new) Gigabyte...

You can make those HDDs appear smaller than they are...

12. 96
    krHACKen

krHACKen Developer

268.435.456 sectors (of 512 bytes). 137.438.953.472 bytes.

13. 1,390
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

I added "Sectors" and "Byte" in brackets, to the first equation, to make it more understandable...! ;)

The equations and numbers/results were the same though!

14. 796
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    FHDB doesn't support the PSBBN. If you overwrite PSBBN's MBR with FHDB, I don't think it'll work properly. At least, from what I do know, launching of software from the PSBBN goes through the PSBBN's MBR program.

The problem is perhaps with how you formatted (or didn't format) the disk. If software doesn't support 48-bit LBA, then the disk's 28-bit LBA capacity will be used - which may be 137GB.
    You probably got a crash because you formatted the disk as 48-bit LBA APA and/or didn't repair your partitions after writing the partial image (and the severed links are pointing to bad LBAs).
    If any software attempts to access partitions that sit beyond the "end" of the disk, then that is when you will run into trouble.

There exists the ATA command for setting the maximum LBA. The manufacturer's diagnostic tool is a way to set this. But I don't see why you (or anyone) would actually need that here.

Fin9ersMcGee, TnA and krHACKen like this.
  15. 1,390
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

AFAIR, PS[2]-BB.Navi's dependency on it's own MBR KELF is also the reason, why the images use a weird structure in regards to KELF-Position/-paths (to support both).

16. 978
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Thanks everyone, it's all making more sense to me now :encouragement:

I will start fresh and use SUDC4.

17. 114
    Fanhais

Fanhais Member

attention you can put at max 100 gb of games in hddosd after that hddosd will start slow on search games.
    i know this because of my own experience but I say HDDOSD is charming

18. 1,390
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Depends, if he uses an SSD or an HDD...

19. 978
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Wouldn't the ps2 be the bottleneck for an ssd...?

20. 1,390
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Rather the Expansion Bay, but the difference is still VERY noticeable!

Fin9ersMcGee likes this.