PS2 Black screen freeze when loading any non-system app from FHDB

Discussion in 'Free MCBoot' started by Swerve4U, Mar 13, 2019.

1. 3
    Swerve4U

Swerve4U Forum Noob

I'm really frustrated. I'm trying to mod a fat PS2 for my uncle. I installed a modchip in his PS2 many years ago so he could play his backups. The laser has died yet again and he's tired of dealing with it. After reading about softmodding and hard drive loading it seemed like the perfect solution. I acquired everything I needed. I didn't want to softmod his unit because I thought the modchip might interfere. He works at the local dump and acquired three more units in a week. (sad isn't it?) They all power on and read memory cards. The unit I picked was a SCPH-39001. I have two working original PS2 MagicGate memory cards with all data cleared from them. I have an original PS2 network adapter I just purchased from a local retro store. I have an 80 GB Western Digital drive that works, and an older PC that can write to it. And I modified the network adapter to fit the non-standard spacing of the WD drive's IDE and power ports.

I won't go into everything that's gone wrong, but suffice it to say this process has fought me every step of the way.

After reading a few guides my intention was to use FHDB as an entry point to install FMCB onto one of the memory cards. I used MrMario's tutorial on YouTube and downloaded the tools from the link in that video's description. I formatted it with WinHIIP and used HDD raw copy to copy the FHDB v1.93 image to the drive. Put the network adapter / HDD in the first PS2 and.. nothing, just booted to the factory menu. After a bit of research I listened and the HD was not spinning up at all. I'm guessing the HD fuse is blown on that console. But the second one I tried (the SCPH-39001) worked! I heard the drive spin up and it showed the Free MC boot splash screen and booted into the modded menu. Finally! So I select the ELF loader to install FMCB and.. black screen. After 5 minutes I reset the console. Booted flawlessly once again into the modded menu. I have tried every app that was on that image, and only the system apps, Browser and System Configuration, work. Every other app, even the simple "Shutdown PS2" app, gives the same black screen freeze.

I'm at a loss now. The hardware is certainly working because it booted into the modded menu. The image file seems to be OK because the hack worked. The guide said to format in WinHIIP with application set to 48 bit. I did the override for 48 bit in the options menu, but it still only gave me the option for 24 bit when I formatted. Since my drive is <128GB I realize I don't need 48 bit addressing, but could that cause problems with the apps? I read somewhere you need to use an image patched for 48 bit if you were going to use it, and I'm assuming this image was patched. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. 3
    Swerve4U

Swerve4U Forum Noob

UPDATE: After I posted this I though, what if the dump unit had a modchip installed? I mean, I purposely avoided the unit I knew that had one because I knew it might cause problems. But I never actually took the dump unit apart to check, I just assumed the odds were pretty slim that it had one. Well I just ripped it apart and guess what I found? I'm sure that's what's interfering with the apps. Since the laser is dead on all three units I'm going to disable the modchip (after work) and see if that sorts the problem. I'll update here when I do that.

TnA likes this.
  3. 3
    Swerve4U

Swerve4U Forum Noob

And the modchip was the issue, of course. I now have FMCB installed on two memory cards, and all apps are working great. On a different note, does a reliable supplier for new PS2 replacement parts exist? I need things like a ribbon cable for the power button, a replacement port for the graphics output, new analog stick potentiometer / stick, etc. I'd like to fix one of these units up and keep it myself.