Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

Bricked CHECHC03 Phat PS3 after 4.85 HFW - Wrong flash_485 file

Discussion in 'Ps3Xploit [Official Forum]' started by SlingShot, Dec 30, 2019.

1. 7
    SlingShot

SlingShot Forum Noob

Hi guys,

I decided to try to flash my old skool phat PS3 (CHECHC03 - 60GB - NAND) today using the tools on ps3exploit.

I was about to lay out the steps I took - which were all correct as far as I could tell - but then when double checking a few things I came across something really strange, and obviously the reason for the brick.

Basically, I am certain I copied the flash_485.hex from from the 'NOR_NAND_writer_release_2.0.2_PS3Xploit' release zip (taken from the ps3xploit.com site) to the root of my USB stick (I hadn't downloaded any other version).

I updated my console to 4.85 HFW and then followed the steps to flash the 'flash_485.hex' to the NAND via
    http://ps3xploit.com/hfw/writer/index_nand.html

This was a success and completed fine. I then did a NAND dump.

However, I just checked the MD5 of the flash_485.hex on the USB stick and it's:
    87EDEDE8D72530CD4951A16C2B2335F1

NOT 2D74B066E7453E6B1336E36C410FB1EB as it should be!
    The thing is, the file in the releases zip that I copied it from DOES show that correct MD5!?

The odd thing though is the date and time of the one from the releases zip is 31st of August 2019, 09:20:43...

The date and time of the one I copied to the USB stick is 31st of August 2019, 09:20:44!! One second later.
    They are exactly the same size.

I am baffled what has happened here unless some very odd file corruption took place when copying!?

Anyway, after powering down the console it will now not power up - getting stuck with a flashing red light so it's hard bricked (I am assuming). Gutted.

From what I'm reading I have very few options here other than to just get a new one and maybe sell this one for parts? I know there are hardware flasher options but not sure if that would be viable here with only having a .hex dump AFTER the flash writing stage?

I know I'm basically screwed but thought I'd ask - especially on the very strange MD5 / date anomaly.

Thanks, and thanks to everyone who has worked on these incredible exploits. I was so close to success though a *huge* reminder to double check everything - especially MD5 hashes!!

Just to add, it is most definitely a dodgy USB stick. The MD5 changes whenever the stick is mounted! Windows have found errors on it as well. Typical as I only changed to it from a 16GB stick as the initialisation phase kept failing on the writer page.
    Live and learn...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2019
  2. 620
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

bro, every tutorial i've seen or read explicitly says you need to take a nand/nor dump BEFORE writing the HEX file so you have a backup in case anything goes wrong...

3. 7
    SlingShot

SlingShot Forum Noob

For sure. I was mainly taking the dump to validate the burn it but then the dump checker didn't like the file, but that makes sense as the USB stick was corrupt so even if I had taken one before it'd have been invalid :(

I'm not sure now if it's worth looking into a hardware flasher or if it's not possible to recover without a pre-flash dump file?

4. 620
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

Nand hardware flashers are very very iffy and not very user friendly, also I don't know exactly if you can rebuild a nand dump like you do nor dumps, maybe @baileyscream knows the answer

5. 7
    SlingShot

SlingShot Forum Noob

Aha. It did seem hard to find much info on Nand flashers when I looked last night - with NOR being the more common and reliable. It'd be a cool project to see if I could bring this one back to life (bit of nostalgia having a 2nd revision phat) but got my eye on some E-Bay slims which are good value and flashable (though I'd be ultra careful on the next attempt ;) ).

6. 620
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

Your only choice for nand flasher is teensy++ 2.0, newer revisions do not work again. I think infectis modchips are also compatible but don't quote me on that

7. 7
    SlingShot

SlingShot Forum Noob

Thanks for that - will look into what is involved.

8. 833
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Can you access recovery menu?

9. 7
    SlingShot

SlingShot Forum Noob

Unfortunately not :(. Full hard brick I think, green light for a second then flashing red light.

10. 833
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Ahh lame.
    A CECHc also... partial ps2 backwards compatibility... Might be worth looking into using a HW flasher to be fair. Would be worth getting if you wanted the extra ps2 compatability.

But if not, then maybe keep your eyes peeled for a second hand one. I've had some good finds recently, buying phat models for £5 and slims for £10-£15.

All depends on your desire and how far your willing to learn with HW flashers (I'm a software guy myself, not the biggest fan of PCBs and soldering)

11. 7
    SlingShot

SlingShot Forum Noob

Yeah must admit the PS2 compat was something I was going to use just to get improved video output compared to my old PS2.
    Getting the impression the hardware flasher process might be somewhat complex though so may just be worth getting a new one.
    Same here on being more software myself than h/w (though starting to get more experimental on that score).

Only thing is say going the E-Bay route the UK release console is probably going to be hard to find and might end up going for an inflated price.

12. 3,059
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    If your in the UK then it's worth checking out your local CeX to see if they have any in the store, be about £80 - £100. I normally see them going for about £90 in CeX.

EDIT: Also sometime's they have imported models in such as CECHA/B's as well as the C/E models.

13. 7
    SlingShot

SlingShot Forum Noob

Wow, nice! Especially on the imports. Would be awesome to find a working A or B with full h/w back compat. Will have to keep on eye on the local one. Cheers.