Building an XBOX ONE Hard Drive from scratch real and working e101 e102 and e200 fix

Discussion in 'XBOX ONE' started by ravendrow, Jun 12, 2016.

1. 4
    ravendrow

ravendrow Forum Noob

i wrote this up because i spent 2 days trying juvinal's script i almost gave up until i found this other useful working script

This will show you how to create a working replacement for your XBOX ONE HDD in the event that it is lost or damaged

~things you will need~

1.A computer with sata ports or computer with a usb to sata converter kit
    2. 2x Usb Thumb Drives 4 GB each minimum
    3. 1x 500GB 2.5 inch Hard Drive un-partitioned (has to be 500GB for recovery process but you can upgrade to a larger size after)
    4. Rufus 2.9 ( https://rufus.akeo.ie/ )
    5. a linux live iso of some kind i used parrot security os 3.0 ( https://www.parrotsec.org/download.fx )
    6. the OSUDT2 file from ( http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool )
    7. the script create_xbox_drive.sh from here ( http://www.ludvikjerabek.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/create_xbox_drive.sh_.tar.gz ) ***
    ***the second part of juvinal's script doesn't seem to work properly on standard sata so used ludvikjerabek's script all credit for this script goes to him

~how you do it~

1. Use Rufus to create a bootable linux usb image on one of the thumb drives
    2. Format the second thumb drive to NTFS and extract OSUDT2 to it
    3. also on the second drive create a folder Labeled xbone and extract the content of create_xbox_drive.sh_.tar.gz to it
    4. Power off your Pc and unplugg all sata Hard drives ( this will prevent accidental formatting of your pc operating system)
    5. Plug the 500gb replacement into your pc along with the 2 thumb drives and boot your comuter to the usb os
    6. once it loads open gparted (it's in system, administration, Gparted )and take note of the device id it will most likely be /dev/sda if you unplugged all other drives
    7. close gparted and open a terminal window then type sudo su
    8. cd to the xbone directory of the second usb drive
    9. then in the termial window type ./create_xbox_drive.sh --drive /dev/sda --stage 1
    (replace sda with whatever the replacement drive ID is)
    10. this will create the partitions make sure 5 were created if not rerun the stage 1 script after it is done open the system update partition and create 2 folders 1 labeled A and one labeled B in caps
    11. navigate to the second usb drive and open the $SystemUpdate folder and copy everything but updater.xvd to both the A and B folder
    12. copy updater.xvd to the root of the system update partition
    13. unmount all partitions except for the second usb drive and go back to the terminal window
    14. now type ./create_xbox_drive.sh --drive /dev/sda --stage 2
    15. make sure it says sucessful at least 5 times if your get a msg about the kernel still using the partition type partprobe press enter then re-run the stage 2 command
    16. once it says sucessful at least 5 time you can type poweroff into the terminal and wait for the system to shut down
    17.plug the newly created drive into the xbox along with the usb containg the $SystemUpdate folder
    18 now hold the bind+eject button and press the power button keep holding the bind and eject button untill you see the installing update screen ***
    ***the newest dashboard has a recovery screen DO NOT USE IT just keep holding bind and eject to bypass it you MUST use the BIND+EJECT buttons
    after the installing update screen completes you will go to the applying update screen if you get past 33% on this screen congrats you just made a working replacement Hard drive for your XBOX ONE!!!

many thanks to ludvikjerabek for creating a working partitioning script for the XBOX ONE

hope this helps some of you who bought an XBOX ONE on the cheap with No Hard Drive

This method is Tested and working on multiple XBOX ONE systems with bad or missing Hard drives

With Love
    RavenDrow

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    stussy, kozarovv and pinky like this.
  2. 12,264
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

don't own an xbox one yet, but I do plan to upgrade the hdd.

3. 7,626
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    ravendrow likes this.
  4. 4
    ravendrow

ravendrow Forum Noob

thanks i try ... i haven't seen anyone using this script only people complaining Juvinal's script didn't work...from what i can tell Juvinal's script isn't patching the guid's and MBR of the partitions properly this script however has worked great the 4 times i have used it so far..and it works on the newest April 2016 update for the XBOX ONE

5. 12,264
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I'd say it's an honor to be commended by @kozarovv . he's a genius! :) anyway, I might consult this tutorial whenever I buy an xbox one. I really want to play killer instinct. I remember that series from when I was a kid.

kozarovv and ravendrow like this.
  6. 130
    stussy

stussy Member

One day i will try need to install a bigger hard drive 500gig is way to small as 1/2 of my games are over 50gig saves me deleting the games all the time

ravendrow likes this.
  7. 7,626
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    :bandicoot: Yeah, genius. LOL :sfun tv:

ravendrow likes this.
  8. 4
    ravendrow

ravendrow Forum Noob

if you're trying to upgrade to a bigger HDD instead of copying the files from the $SystemUpdate folder hook up your original XBOX ONE HDD as well as the new larger drive then after you run the stage 1 command copy everything in all the partitions of the Original drive to the corresponding partitions on the new drive then run the stage 2 command after that you shouldn't even need to use the OSUDT2 files the xbox should boot fine with more space and all your old content and saves

zeromant and stussy like this.
  9. 4
    ravendrow

ravendrow Forum Noob

made a quick video showing the process

pinky likes this.
  10. 1
    jennice27

jennice27 Forum Noob

I really need your help. i have tried the juvernal scripts and these script and i cannot get to the part with making the partitions i follow everything to a t. i have been using ubuntu and a 500gb hard drive. please help ASAP

11. 263
    GregoryRasputin

GregoryRasputin PlayStationHAX PSX-Place Supporter

This should work with 1TB and 2TB drives now shouldn't it ?

12. 1,415
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

Was at target last night boys, xbones 500 gb were on clearance for 225.00. The had the division bundle and the ultimate gears of war bundle. I almost bought one, that's cheap.

13. 1
    ccarr33

ccarr33 Forum Noob

Great video and instructions! I had good luck with everything until the update installation gets to 85% then I get error 101. I tried recreating the hdd and even tried another brand (Seagate 500GB). Still the same. Anyone have any idea? Thanks!

14. 1
    chrise86

chrise86 Forum Noob

My original 500gb phat console HDD died and I've been trying to replace it with a new 1TB, but the system update gets to 33% on "Applying update" / 71% overall and then returns an Error 102. You mentioned:

"after the installing update screen completes you will go to the applying update screen if you get past 33% on this screen congrats you just made a working replacement Hard drive for your XBOX ONE!!!"

Do you know why the 33% issue happens, or how to get passed it?