Buy or naa?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ISAK.M, Jun 12, 2019.

1. 702
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    So I stumbled upon this
    Philips 32PW8739/12 CRT, which is a 16:9 100Hz CRT. 32"
    For just 10$ or 100 SEK as that is what we use in Sweden.
    Problem is, I also found a 24" BenQ 1080p monitor for just 25$ or 250 SEK.:confused:
    The Monitor easily fits ofc in my room but the TV will take up tons of space and it also weighs ~55KG So it's a real beast.
    I won't be able to buy both even tho they are both really cheap. My level of poor is insane right now btw.:-p
    I play both PS2 aswell as PS3 aswell as X360 and sometimes PC.
    Should I go with the Monitor or the TV.
    Biggest question is how does PS2 look on a modern Monitor?:confused:
    I already have a 14" CRT in my room aswell but the screen is smaller then my laptops and I am tired of sometimes not even seeing the text on screen because it's too small. + I like too upgrade.;)

I thought too myself that I will not make a long post, but for some reason I always do haha :D

2. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

monitor.although i think that TV has really nice tube it's still 400 lines of resolution if i remember correctly and that's what breaks it in my opinion especially for 32".probably seller would give it up for free if you want to pick it up yourself,that price is more price for the hassle of packing it up and transporting it to the door and/or help,most of the times if you offer to pick it up yourself without them doing anything they will give it up for free.that's at least my experience,both of my CRT's i got for free just by picking them up myself,and both of them are high end sony's (although i got them before recent slight CRT craze).

keep a look for high end CRT's with at least 700 lines (mostly sony stuff) and get that monitor first,you can emulate scanlines and phosphor glow both on PC and ps3 if CRt's are your thing.

but,if i was poor student living in sweden i would do odd part time jobs and save up a little cash and get a nice 32" 2k VA monitor.they're insanely cheap these days (about 150-200e,even less if you can find a good deal secondhand) and do pretty much everything you want.i just got one for my nephew and was shocked how good it is especially since i'm accustomed to my oled.

3. 1,901
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    1080p monitor.... not a beast of a CRT. I had the 42" version of that TV back in the day and it weighs a ton. Its was a good quality TV for what it was back then but if your using things that mostly have HDMI output I would go for the smaller lighter, more compact monitor with the better screen resolution personally.

I am currently looking for 2 40" - 50" 4k UHD TV's for my 4K PC and keep the 40" 1080p HDTV just for my PS3's. I did have 2 40's for the PC and PS3's but one broke lol so having to use a 22" 720p HDTV as a stand in. It looks realy odd when both TVs are side by side and one is way bigger than the other.

Coldheart2236 likes this.
  4. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

sell all that stuff and get OLED even second hand one.trust me,it's worth it.

5. 29
    DigitalDrive

DigitalDrive Forum Noob

If you are looking for overall perfomance, comfort and compatibility go with the 1080p monitor.
    No noise, slimmer, has HDMI & DVI (I guess?)...

I have not seen any 16:9 100Hz digital-scan CRT in person. I googled it and it looks nice. Since it's 100Hz, it might be interesting.
    You can buy the CRT if you want.

But IMO I'd buy the Monitor.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  6. 29
    DigitalDrive

DigitalDrive Forum Noob

OLEDs might look great, but "burn-in" problems usually happen with them.
    If there's something being displayed on the same area for a long time, it starts to be burned into there and stay like a ghost.

I had a Galaxy S6 and I personally experienced it.

7. 1,901
    Cypher_CG89

They OK TVs, But 2 4K UHD LED TV's will do me for my PC. And my ProScan 40" 1080p HDTV is good enough for my PS3's. Plus with 2 4K TV's then I can have one TV for PS4 Pro, then the other for the PS5 when its released. My setup is like a dev setup> multiple displays for different things, and when doing things on the PS3 and using the PC at the same time having a display for each is important to me espeecially when my PC is dual 4K output so I can have 2 seperate desktops> perfect for graphics work.

8. 29
    DigitalDrive

DigitalDrive Forum Noob

Well I'm poor and I connect everything into my 21" 1600x900 16:9 60Hz monitor.
    l have a 32" 1080p TV but I can't use it myself because my friend has dominated it and I have to make my own setup.
    I'm also looking for a cheap 1080p monitor too.
    For now I'll have to use HDMI to VGA converter and it only works with PS3 and set top box. It doesn't work for the PS4.

9. 1,901
    Cypher_CG89

I don't buy expensive branded stuff, there's always a deal out there with brands that not many people use but do just a good a job, if not better, than all the branded items.

For example ProScan is not a big a brand in the UK as it is in the USA and not expensive, I paid £129.99 for this 40" 1080p HDTV about 6+ years ago and it's still working as good as the day I bought it. Thats the same price I paid for my CECH4003A PS3 SuperSlim brand new when they where launched.

My advice, and the way I was raised, is to always shop about and don't fall into the branded products are the best trap, becuase quite frankly they are not most of the time, and quite oftern most of the time you can find something that has all the features of a branded product a lot cheaper somewhere else by a company that is not as well known and quite oftern lasts and works better than the branded stuff.

Another example of this would be the PC equipment I use is mostly Sabrant> USB HDD enclosures, Multi-USB block, adapter cables etc. They are all good quality and fairly cheap. The Sabrant 2.5" SATA USB 2.0 HDD enclosure I use for my PS3's external HDD's was only about £7.50 off amazon and works flawlessly with PS3, the USB 3.0 version is only about £8.50 if you wanted to use it on PS4. Works on any version of windows as its plug and play with no drivers needed to be installed.

So shop about and you will find good value for money somewhere no matter what your budget is.

blckbear_ likes this.
  10. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

this is my second oled,first one i sold when i upgraded (just because of bigger screen,if i could justify spending i'd buy biggest one there is) and it was fine,no problems whatsoever.phone displays especially samsung are another story entirely than TVs.sure,if you keep it on one channel with watermark 24/7 then it will probably cause burn in and in that case you should't buy it,but for any other scenario is fine really.

in both cases i went with LG but that only because i'm connected with local official dealership and got nice deals.all of the better known brands are fine,it's mostly same panels.

11. 702
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    I am going to go with the Monitor, it's a legit BenQ Monitor and from what I have heard BenQ Monitors are really good even though this one is probably 5-7 years old.

At the the same time, what makes another 1080p 60Hz Monitor better then another 1080p 60Hz Monitor since they are the same?:confused:

12. 147
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

Electrical engineering student
    I guess you can take into consideration response time, the technology that the panel was built with (IPS, TFT, etc), compatibility with certain connections (i.e. my monitor is 1080p but only takes VGA input), the monitor may or may not have speakers, etc. I guess there are more things to pay attention to.

13. 991
    umart666

umart666 Member

@ISAK.M

type of panel.there are mainly three types of LCD/LED panels for computer monitors - TN,(a)VA and IPS.TN was dominant from introduction of LCD's in the mainstream consumer market for computer monitors,it has various disadvantages and flaws - bad viewing angles,typically dimmer and less intensive colors,on cheaper panels there is also big chances of backlight bleed...main advantages are price and they're the fastest - from receiving information until displaying it on the screen (also known as 'response time').for more then a decade this was typical pros and cons but lately they're getting better and eliminate and mitigate some of the typical flaws of TN technology but mainly in 'gaming' monitors as they're more expensive and i guess they can't just crank it to 120/144hz and call it a day.

(a)VA is more modern type of panel,first gaining foothold in the TV's then getting popular in computer monitors.main advantages vs TN panel are deep blacks (second only to OLED),better color,virtually no backlight bleed or glow (even on cheaper models) and somewhat more vibrant color and viewing angles.disadvantages comparing to the TN panels are that they're typically slower (and when cranked beyond 60hz they can exhibit glitches and artifacts) and more costly,but they're getting cheaper by the day and more dominant especially in low to mid tier price wise.

IPS is getting foothold on pc monitors and TV's market as more advanced type of display and brands would use them typically in more prestigious models.main advantages are supreme viewing angles (TN and (a)VA can't come even near it),best color reproduction,more vibrant colors than TN and (a)VA panels.main disadvantages are serious backlight bleed in most cases and it's almost a guarantee in lower priced models (famous IPS 'glow') and are typically slowest of the bunch but some brands are getting them cranked up and getting them to be really fast and typically IPS would be the most expensive.

some brands even offer the same model in both (a)VA and IPS variant and in those cases IPS is always about 1/5,1/4 more expensive.

there's no definitive answer for everyone like IPS is better than (a)VA or even TN,it really depends on what do you want and what do you like.for me personally (a)VA is always best option as i really don't care that much about color reproduction (although i got OLED TV because of snappy colors :) ) and quality and depth of blacks is what's most crucial to me.that's what breaks IPS as a computer monior for me and i woud only get it (and currently i have it) in a laptop as viewing angles are paramount on a laptop for me and i don't play games on it.and i can't be bothered with TN in 2019 anymore honestly,even if i would want something fast i would get a CRT pc monitor.

OLED currently is only starting to be featured on premium laptops,as burn in with taskbars and price would be real concern as OLED is by real wide margin the most expensive type of panel,but recently there were korean OLED 40" 4k TV insurgence and i know couple of people getting them and using them as PC monitors.although i do game mostly on my OLED even in pc games and i do enjoy real estate for desktop i really don't need facebook,ads,yt videos and joe rogan podcast to see on OLED,VA is fine really. :)

edit: blckbear has a really good point in audio,i totally forgot about that as i'm bit of an audiophile and i don't use onboard speakers/audio ever,but most people would be really concerned about this especially if they don't have the space for additional speakers and gear.

14. 172
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I'd go with the monitor too. CRT's are great and all for retro, but they fail and are a real pain to repair. I have a 32" Sylvania CRT that was purchased in 06 and it won't even power up anymore. If you plug it in, there's a very strange humming / buzzing noise that comes out of the back. Troubleshooting left me with more questions than answers lol.

ISAK.M likes this.
Tags: