Can I connect PS3 to PC VGA Monitor with a converter ?

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by arcadesfan, Jul 21, 2019.

1. 5
    arcadesfan

arcadesfan Forum Noob

Hello. I would like to buy a PS3 console but want to get HD graphics and don´t want to use an old TV ( the old CRT one ) for this, because of poor graphics.

I have a 19 inch SAMSUNG Syncmaster B1930 monitor which I use with my PC. The monitor comes with VGA input only, it doesn´t have HDMI.

The native resolution of my monitor is 1366 x 768, but I created a custom resolution of 1920 x 1080 ( using nVIDIA GPU control panel ) which I use sometimes for gaming.

Can I get HD graphics if I connect the PS3 console to my PC monitor through VGA, by using a HDMI to VGA converter ?

Does this work for all VGA PC monitors or only for some special brands ? Did anyone try it ?

I will be grateful again for your help.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. 1,365
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    It will work, but you need a HDMI to VGA Convertor, the closest resolution you'll get out of it its 1280x720p, 1080p its out of the question, due to the monitor being 768p itself, but thats better than nothing.

Nvidia Custom Resolution won't work in here, and has nothing to do with the PlayStation3 or the monitor, its called DSR (Dynamic Sample Resolution), it takes a resolution beyond what the monitor "officially" accepts it, and downscales the image to the supported resolution output,this is why you get 1080p out of a 768p monitor, the PlayStation3 will not do that, it will only display "native", and if your monitor doesn't support it, it will output the closes algorithm possible that your monitor can support, in this case will be 1280x720p.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

DeViL303 likes this.
  3. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

if i were you i'd get one off locally or order cheap one with at least some good reviews online.thing is better solutions get pretty pricey very fast and it's not worth it as for 100+ dollars that good vga concertors cost you can get better display alltogheter that has native hdmi.

in theory you can get pretty decent component conversion to vga and that will look really good but those boxes are 100+ dollars.

4. 1,365
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Why would you spend 100+ for a Convertor Box, when a HDMI to VGA adaptor, its like 3$ on eBay, he just wants to connect it to a monitor that has no HDMI, he its not a hardcore get the best picture kind of guy, at least from what i read, he just wants to play with his PS3 on a Monitor he owns

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

5. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

if you tried couple of that cheap ones you'd know what i'm talking about,usually they're really bad,that's why i've said to first try couple locally so he can test them or at least get one with a couple of decent reviews.

i didn't say to get expensive,on the opposite,i've said not to go crazy because for same money he can get better display alltogether.