PS3 Can I install a CFW on a 4.84 OFW PS3 Slim 3001b That used to have Ferrox CFW?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Zero_Requiem, May 19, 2019.

1. 3
    Zero_Requiem

Zero_Requiem Forum Noob

Hello everyone. My case is that I replaced my HDD on my PS3 Slim and have to Install the OFW 4.84, but this console used to have the CFW Ferrox 4.75, is a 3001b for what it says, I used the MinVerChk and the lower version for this PS3 was 3.72. I currently use the Hen 2.1.0, the Hybrid FW. Other note is that I bought it used, so I do not know if the motherboard is other than the serial number. Can I install a CFW like Rebug on my console? Or will I get a brick and should stay where I am? Thanks you.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  2. 1,366
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Were you told it used to have Ferrox on it? The reason I ask is because 3xxxx models cannot install CFW. Given that the MinVerChk result was 3.72 when the highest result in order to be able to jailbreak and install CFW is 3.56, means that it couldn't possibly have had Ferrox or any other CFW on it previously.

3. 151
    Coro

Coro Member

NO cfw for 3000s. hen is all u can use.

4. 3
    Zero_Requiem

Zero_Requiem Forum Noob

That's right, I'm sure it was Ferrox, no mistake for sure, I played and all, but like I said it was an used console so the Motherboard or plate could be from an older model and the serial number 3001b is from another one. Regardless if it was downgraded or not, it did have a CFW, I am positive about it. Since it did have one, it is posible to release it and try a CFW?

5. 5,798
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Bud seems someone swapped you systems. If the minvercheck is above 3.56 it never had CFW and you can't install on that system.

6. 1,366
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

That's the whole purpose of MinVerChk. Someone might have a console that should be jailbreakable by the model number, but is actually refurbished and so has a later base firmware. Consoles with parts from different systems is why MinVerChk is important as it removes all doubt in whether or not the console can be jailbroken or not. 3.56 is the absolute limit; 3.60 and onwards introduced metldr2 which updated the encryption methods on the console and prevents it being jailbroken like with earlier versions.

Unfortunately, you cannot fully jailbreak and hence install CFW on your console if the base firmware is 3.72; attempting the exploit will result in a brick for your console.

7. 3
    Zero_Requiem

Zero_Requiem Forum Noob

Ha I see now! It's a shame, well, it's good to know this, I will not do anything crazy now.

Thank you so very much to all for the answers! I'll be careful and more attentive to what Hen release in the future.