Cannot initiliaze PS4 boot with unofficial controller

Discussion in 'General PS4 Discussion.' started by Derek Sullivan, Jul 12, 2019.

1. 32
    Derek Sullivan

Derek Sullivan Forum Noob

Recently reset my PS4, my official controller broke a few months back so I began to use an unofficial controller.

Now when I boot up PS4 it takes me to press PS button but on my unofficial controller nothing happens.

Do I have to buy an official controller? They're a bit pricey at the moment so I was hoping I wouldn't have to get one.

2. 1,786
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Yes unfortunately 3rd Party controllers are a bit picky with the PlayStation4, i suggest if you want a unofficial controller to grab the Nacon Wired Controller, its a cutdown version from the Nacon Pro, and they are quite ergonomic and good, and are cheap, 40€ in stores, you can get it for less on eBay, DualShock4s aren't expensive either, you can get one for cheap as well 40€,but watch out for fakes, they are so well made nowadays that its almost hard to detect from the original if you don't have a trained eye.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

3. 32
    Derek Sullivan

Thanks for the suggestion looks like I'm going to have to buy another controller, maybe I'll return the other one seeing as it can't even start the PS4 after a default setting restore. Seems weird though as I have used this current controller for about 2 months with no issues, PS button works in all games as expected.

4. 32
    Derek Sullivan

Picked up a Nacon PS4 Compact Controller, exactly the same issue. On the blue 'connect the dualshock wireless controller' screen, when it says press PS button nothing happens.

5. 1,786
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Then must be something with your PlayStation4, can you manage to press the PS during the Safe Mode?

6. 32
    Derek Sullivan

In safe mode both controllers appear fully functional, it is only in the boot up blue screen bit, the part that says 'Connect the DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller using the USB cable, and then press PS button.'

Pressing PS does nothing.

7. 12,259
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

unfortunately, this happens a lot. ...can't really tell if it's deliberate or not by sony, but they do want you to buy the official controller, memory card, etc. I know that on 5.0+ on the switch either blocked or messed up compatibility with unofficial docks, so a lot of people ended up with bricked switches. it makes you very mad when you think about whether it was deliberate or not (bricking probably not, but removing compatibility, possibly). that's why I bought a second, official dock from nintendo's official site. I only needed the dock (not hdmi cable or power cable, since I had bought one originally for $30 when my original switch died and I was trying to check if it could charge without the dock). anyway, the dock by itself is like $70+ while unofficial docks are like half that or so. it's total bull shit.

microsoft even does this with their 360 hdds (glorified laptop hdds within a fancy shell at three times the price of an hdd). the batteries are the same (2 double A batteries connected to a logic board). the rechargeable batteries fail constantly due to that board while the batteries remain fine. yeah, those are like $10 for 2 AA batteries).

then, you've got those outrageously priced vita memory cards. I had heard that they were developing a card that was twice the size of a 64GB card, which is nearly $100, so I guess they expected you buy something that cost more than the system itself. those 64GB cards were/are Japan exclusive, but you can buy them on ebay and they'll work. point being - all three companies try to force you to buy their official accessories and whatnot knowing that they're ripping you off.

8. 292
    jcorrea

jcorrea PSX-Place Supporter

Developer
    Did you connect your controller with cable?