Cannot play Japanese Region 2 NTSC DVD on US Region 1 PS3

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Lucas Notch, Aug 13, 2019.

1. 10
    Lucas Notch

Lucas Notch Forum Noob

Hello everyone,

I own several Japanese Region 2 DVDs that I obtained either online or during my three trips to Japan, and I want to play them on my US PS3.

I have a CECHK (originally 80 GB) Fat PS3 running the Rebug 4.84 CEX Cobra 8.01 CFW, and I use mmCM (in MultiMan Mode) along with wMAN MOD 1.47.25. In my library, I own four Japanese Region 2 NTSC DVDs.

One contains music videos for the 19th Nogizaka46 single.
    One contains supplementary content for the 2018 JUJU single "Tokyo".
    One contains the 2017 Japanese movie "Asahinagu".
    One contains the 2019 Japanese adaptation of the famous 2011 Taiwanese film "You are the Apple of My Eye".

I started by changing the DVD region to wMAN to Region 2 (Europe/Japan) under the "IDPS and MEM Setup" on the Setup page. (I still don't understand why Japan is Region 2 even though they share the same video standard as the US, Canada, Taiwan, and South Korea.) When I click to save my settings and restart my PS3, I reopen the setup page, just to see it change back to Default! I didn't realize this until I played the DVD from XMB and I received an error:

"The disc cannot be played.
    The region code is not correct."

I then entered mmCM in COBRA mode, and I changed the region code to R2 (EUR). I switched over to multiMan mode, and I got a message saying "Data BD/DVD/CD disc detected in tray - configuring access, please wait...". I clicked on [DVD] DVD or whatever it was, and I was kicked back to the XMB. Tried launching it again with XMB, same error.

Full disclosure, I do have BD-ROM emulator enabled, but I read somewhere that if you changed the mode to HERMES, it'll play R2 DVDs. Since I didn't have that option, I decided to disable the BD-ROM emulator. I proceeded to open mmCM in multiMAN mode one more time, and when I tried to play it, I get kicked back to the XMB again!

If anyone knows how to get around this evil region locking isolating different NTSC regions from each other in codes that make no geographical sense whatsoever, please let me know.

2. 382
    psydefx

psydefx Member

try movian. ive played pal dvd isos on my cechl01 (ntsc) ps3 before

3. 10
    Lucas Notch

Lucas Notch Forum Noob

No luck with movian. I'll make an ISO copy of that DVD onto my computer, transfer it to my PS3's hard drive over FTP, and try again.

4. 10
    Lucas Notch

Lucas Notch Forum Noob

Turns out, the Japanese movie studios know a thing about copy protection. ImgBurn cannot rip the DVD into an ISO format.

5. 1,368
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    If i recall correctly, Multiman should have a region parameter configuration for the different DVD/BDs region encoding, worth to take a peek.

Also Movian should play thoes NTSC-J DVD/BDs without much hassle.

Sadly i don't own any NTSC-U or J DVDs, so they are all PAL, also our SKUs are PAL as well, so I can't test it for you.

If i recall correctly, Region Encoding is stored in the TS_VIDEO region if i recall.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

6. 1,368
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Ok, you can test this, but i am not sure if is going to work.

If you have CFW installed, go to Debug Settings, and Set Fake Region On and Change Region to Japan, thus DVD Playback should work.

To test this theory, ive switched my PAL PS3 to NTSC-U/C and indeed it refused to Launch any PAL DVD,unless i reverted back the Region.

Also Multiman has a DVD region Changer in the Settings Colum.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

7. 950
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

ImgBurn cannot defeat the Macrovision protection on DVDs. Try DVD Shrink - It's old and hasn't been updated since around 2005 but I've used it to rip some of my DVD into ISO and it's worked flawlessly so far. Should do what you need :)

8. 10
    Lucas Notch

Lucas Notch Forum Noob

Tried that too. Unfortunately, I got an error message.

After taking a picture with Google Translate, the error says "This disc cannot be played due to regional limitations."

The equivalent message in the English UI would be "The disc cannot be played.
    The region code is not correct."

I'll use DVDShrink for the time being

9. 1,368
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Well i guess your only option is Multiman, create a dump if possible and replace the region restriction in the settings column.

10. 10
    Lucas Notch

Lucas Notch Forum Noob

After creating a dump of Asahinagu with DVDShrink and removing the unnecessary Stereo PCM track, I was able to remove the regional lockout on my copy and it worked!

As for the original though, I did try multiman, but the problem was that I kept getting "No Titles Found" every time I inserted a R2 DVD.

11. 950
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Great old program and even though it's abandonware, it's one of the first programs I install on a fresh Windows installation because it still works really well.

DVD Decrypter is in the same vein of DVDShrink in that it was last developed in the mid-2000s and also performs a similar function.

12. 58
    Agrippa

Agrippa Forum Noob

As far as I remember, both Cobra and multiMAN do not patch the DVD region check properly. It turns out the fastest way to playback is removing the region code on the PC.

13. 950
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

I have a Region 1 US DVD of the slasher film The Burning, bought at a time before it was easily available uncut in the UK. I changed the region settings in webMAN MOD and it played fine. UK is Region 2 (B for retail Blu-ray Discs) and uses PAL whereas this Region 1 DVD naturally was NTSC.

So back to the original issue of the thread, @Lucas Notch I'm not sure why you're having issues. Did you try changing the region with webMAN MOD? You mentioned you have it installed, and it worked for me. DVDShrink is a nice workaround for backing up your DVD collection. I usually rip the VOB files I want from the VIDEO_TS folder and convert them to MP4 using HandBrake.

14. 886
    TnA

TnA Member

Regarding copy-protections on a Video-DVD: Try either AnyDVD or DVD Decrypter (prelude of IMGBurn)! ;)

Louis Garry likes this.
  15. 10
    Lucas Notch

Lucas Notch Forum Noob

I did try to change the region with webMAN mod a few days ago, but it didn't work.

So I then proceeded to change the debug menu from CEX to DEX, and I turned "Fake other region" to on.

After installing some more modules in Multiman that has to do with DVD playback, my original R2 DVD worked... but the video quality was not to my expectations. I suspect it's because MultiMan expects Region 2 to be 25 fps, but Japanese R2 DVDs are 29.97 fps.

As for the DVD-R copy I made through DVDShrink, I was very happy with it. I got rid of the region code and PCM stereo track (I don't know why a PCM track is on DVDs, when all DVDs sold in the US I can think of must have a Dolby Digital audio track), and it worked wondrously on the PS3's stock DVD player. I retained about 93% of the video quality after compressing it from DVD9 to DVD5.

Thanks for suggesting DVDShrink to me. Without the knowledgeable and active community in this forum, I couldn't have made a region free copy without you.

I'll continue to try fixing the quality on the original DVD9, but I'm not sure if it'll work due to, again, PAL being 25 fps and NTSC being 29.97 fps. Still don't understand why Japan and Europe share the same region, despite using different video standards.

16. 886
    TnA

TnA Member

Regarding the last sentence: Probably exactly because of THAT (second part of the sentence), lol! :D

17. 10
    Lucas Notch

Lucas Notch Forum Noob

Also, my webMAN DVD region settings reset every time I try to save it.

18. 10
    Lucas Notch

Lucas Notch Forum Noob

UPDATE: I could only boot to the logos, but not the actual movie itself.

19. 10
    Lucas Notch

Lucas Notch Forum Noob

I disabled Cobra, and I got an error immediately. When Cobra was enabled, it would attempt to start the playback before giving me a "Region code is not correct" error