PS3 Can't boot into recovery mode

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by vinhtq115, Mar 26, 2020.

1. 6
    vinhtq115

vinhtq115 Forum Noob

I recently bought a PS3 FAT CECHA00 @ OFW 4.85. Now I'm trying to boot the recovery mode in order to install HFW 4.85.1. When I press and hold the power button, the PS3 always does a normal boot instead of recovery mode boot (only 1 beep then boot animation shows up on TV, even though I'm still holding down the power button). Only the power and HDMI cable are connect to the console.
    What can I do now to boot into recovery mode?

2. 6
    vinhtq115

vinhtq115 Forum Noob

Seems like after a few tries, I reached the video reset but unfortunately, I released the power button so it boots back to xmb again (and require me to set video output). Now it does three quick beeps while I'm holding the button.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  3. 7,071
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

This is an official feature, the way to use it is explained in many official sources (not sure, but probably even in the PS3 user manual)

1) with the PS3 turned off
    2) Press and hold power button... you will hear 1 beep... after couple of seconds you will hear more beeps... a couple more seconds and the PS3 turns off
    3) Press and hold power button... you will hear 1 beep... after couple of seconds you will hear more beeps... this is when you need to release the button

*there is no video signal along all this process until you release the button in step 3

Algol likes this.
  4. 7,071
    sandungas

The video reset happens if you release the button after the second group of beeps at step 2 of the procedure i explained in my previous post

If that happens you did a mistake, and you need to start again from step 1

Algol likes this.
  5. 6
    vinhtq115

vinhtq115 Forum Noob

Will try again tomorrow. It’s kinda a hit-or-miss with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 7,071
    sandungas

If you was able to reset video it should work, is pretty much the same, what happens is the PS3 "remembers" the previous sequence

Notice in the procedure i wrote im not telling how many beeps there are (because i dont even remember it, im very used to it though, but is pointless info my brain doesnt needs to store)

When you press (and hold forever) power button there are 2 groups of beeps
    1) the initial beep... this is the standard one, never changes, and everybody is used to it
    2) a group of beeps... the number of this beeps varies... but you dont need to remember how many there are

So the first time you need to press and hold power button forever (until PS3 turns off)
    And the second time you need to do the same but release the button after the second group of beeps

Is failproof and there is no need to remember how many beeps there are :P

7. 6
    vinhtq115

vinhtq115 Forum Noob

I made it finally. It seems like I have to put my finger a bit to the left (middle of I/O) so that the PS3 recognize the holding.