Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

PS3 Can't fix black screen on Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria

Discussion in 'PS3Xploit HAN (nonCFW Compatable Models)' started by nekonekonomi, Aug 17, 2019.

1. 5
    nekonekonomi

nekonekonomi Forum Noob

Hi there. So, whenever I try to run this game I get a black screen and then I get error 80028f17 and get sent back to the menu. Checked the compatibility list, saw it needed a config, so I did everything again and applied the config when making the pkg. Same problem. I applied the config that came with the version of ps2classics GUI I installed, which is 2.1. In all folders, there was only one config that matched the game ID.

I searched some old discussions on this forum and saw this game could be a little problematic (black screen, freezes, sound glitches), and found links to configs that have now expired. I don't mind the freezes and sound, but I need the game to start at least. Do I need to try another config?

Thanks.

2. 7,664
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    Do any other ps2 game work for you?

3. 5
    nekonekonomi

nekonekonomi Forum Noob

Yes. This game and Xenosaga Ep 1 have been the only ones that have been troublesome. I can't remember if Xenosaga threw the same error number (I tried installing it months ago), but it also gave me a black screen and sent me back to the menu. I had a similar issue with Ar Tonelico, but applied the config when making the pkg and it worked.

I've completed Dragon Quest VIII and Persona 3 FES with no issues (or minor ones). I've installed about 10 other games and they loaded fine.

4. 7,664
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    Xenosaga require newest ps2classic GUI to work iirc. Because is DVD9 game. But VP2, shouldn't require any special version. Ok, post that game ID, and compare MD5 of your iso with Redump database.

5. 5
    nekonekonomi

nekonekonomi Forum Noob

Eh... okay, you got me here. I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff. Where am I supposed to check that? Sorry for the ineptitude.

Since this may be an iso problem, I should probably add I'm trying to run an undub version. A lot of those other games I installed were undubbed too though and they worked fine.

EDIT: Also on the topic of Xenosaga, I actually did succesfully run that game with my version of ps2classicsGUI. The thing was the iso came with an unfixable glitch at a certain cutscene. It was the other isos I tried installing that gave me the blackscreen problem. The glitchy one worked fine up to that point.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  6. 7,664
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    That is probably your issue, a lot depend on patch. This iso can run fine on ps2, pcsx2, but not work on PS3/4.

Since config use patches directly to ps2 executable memory, many undub games use modified executable, and that just not work. Please pm me extracted game executable SXXX_YYY.ZZ. Also please post EXACT size of your ISO in bytes.

From things you can do alone, try PS2 classic gui 2.2.3, it have some improvement for isos like that.

7. 5
    nekonekonomi

nekonekonomi Forum Noob

I'll try with 2.2.3 now and see how it goes.

The size is 4.701.700.096 bytes. SLUS_214.52

Thanks for your help!

8. 7,664
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    Ok, so at least size is dividable by, 16384 (is required for ps2 classics). If newer version of GUI not gonna help, pm me executable. I will at least check that is really SLUS_214.52, or some renamed one for undub purpose.

9. 5
    nekonekonomi

nekonekonomi Forum Noob

Well, turns out you were right. The problem was the Undubbed iso. 2.2.3 didn't work, but I tried converting a regular USA iso on it and it's playing fine so far. I don't even hate the English voices as much as I thought I would.

I'll try converting Xenosaga on 2.2.3 later. I DO hate the English voices on that one so the Undubbed will be a dealbreaker... but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks a lot for your help!

10. 1
    IronNash

IronNash Forum Noob

TonyClifton likes this.
  11. 75
    TonyClifton

TonyClifton Member

On superslim at least the game is unplayable for me, it runs like a slideshow as soon as actual gameplay starts. Textures also got a weird flicker to them.