PS3 cech-2501b compatible case and laser replacement

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by MAlkeraan, Mar 13, 2019.

1. 1
    MAlkeraan

MAlkeraan Forum Noob

I bought I refurbished PS3 SLIM (cech-2501b) from Gamestop about 5-6 years ago, yeah it was probably a mistake considering their reputation with the refurbished FAT PS3's and old 360s but the system still works to this day. However, the drive only reads dvds and cds (I also suspect it might scratch the disc a little, but it might be a fluke). To put it simply, whenever I put a game disc in I hear the drive try to reset and reread the disc, but than nothing happens. To at least restore my consoles ability to run games I installed CFW so I could dump my game disc via my PC's BD, and cleaned out and re-pasted the console. I am now still able to load games from my hard-drive and on load and with the fan speed tweaked to 55 percent the Cell and RSX stay in anywhere between 40-43 degrees Celsius (I am sure under sustained load it would get hotter but not by much).

Despite this I still want to replace the laser, and the case which is not in the best shape aesthetically speaking, but before I do that I want to know if the 450DAA drive can have its parts replaced since I know the identifier chip or whatever you call it is directly on the board.

But, despite the consoles supposed reliability I also have encountered the console freezing these three occasions:

When I try to launch a game from PS Vita Remote Play (I doubt this is sign of the console showing its age its just that the PS Vita cannot play a lot of games via it so it ends up freezing).

When I try to use web-man sometimes it freezes, this is usually after I use multi-man to load a game and than try to use web-man after (thought it might be an incompatibility issue between the two). It would also just freeze spontaneously every now and than but I think I have solved this by increasing the memory allocation to the Max setting (and if it keeps happening I will continue tweaking until it stops).

Back in the day before my Disc drive stopped reading game disc entirely my Ps3 would also freeze during various game-play or when trying to launch games, but I can note this is only with games being loaded from a disc or during game-play so I think this is not a real problem.

Even if all of these are flukes I am wondering if it is worth spending 60 plus US dollars to fully refurbish the console with a new laser (which after doing a little research might cost 15-25 US dollars) and a new case (20-40 US dollars) since it has not seen the best years in my storage and seems to have been notably beaten up. I wonder if the PS3 custom cases still sold are Compatible with the 2501X series or if it be better to just buy a skin to cover up the scars on the front of the console (some of them seem just as expensive as a new housing shell though).

After doing a little research before posting this I have realized that the 2501X series of slim consoles do not suffer from YLOD because of the shrunk GPU Architecture, even so since it is from Gamestop I want to know whether you guys think I should just consider buying another console instead of potentially wasting my time on a lost console that might fail sooner or later.

2. 301
    n00b

n00b Member

I don't think so you should buy another console.If your disc drive is completely over then you could download the iso of the games (that you personally own) from internet and inject them to your console using ps3xport tool.I think it is the easiest and fastest method but there are many altrnatives for cfw.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  3. 662
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    Waaatdaaf*ck how can you download the game you own from the internet, that doesn't make any sense... :confused:
    That's still piracy you know :cheerful:

4. 301
    n00b

n00b Member

I don't think it is piracy.Because his bd drive is not working and he could not copy it.So,downloading them from internet would not be piracy (as far as i know).

5. 1,450
    pink1

pink1 Moderator Developer

This is thought as well but it does seem to be a touchy subject that I’d like to get to the bottom of.

n00b likes this.
  6. 301
    n00b

n00b Member

Sir you are an experienced person.What do you think?

7. 1,450
    pink1

I thought it was okay but after talking to a few guys that we all respect I’m starting to think I’m wrong :(

n00b likes this.
  8. 301
    n00b

n00b Member

M
    But how do i remove post?If i don't i think i will be banned

9. 1,450
    pink1

I don’t think you have anything to worry about. It’s not like we were intending anything wrong it’s just a gray area that is confusing.

ISAK.M and n00b like this.
  10. 301
    n00b

n00b Member

Thanks bro :)

11. 4,300
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Look at this page @MAlkeraan
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Bluray_Drive#Bluray_Drive_Revisions
    Btw, the details you mentioned points clearly to a burned laser (or to be more exact, you have the BD diode burned), is very typical and is something normal to happen because the laser wears out with the use

You could buy a laser pickup replacement, are not expensive, and we are lucky in PS3 the only thing we need to do is to replace the laser pickup (there is no need to calibrate it like in PS2 that was a pita and very hard to do at home)
    You can choose to buy a:
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/KES-450D
    Or:
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/KES-460A

Are revisions of the same part, initially the newest are better (so KES-460A should be better than KES-450D), but you know... this is just a general rule that sometimes is not true
    It could happen that the new versions are worst because they was reducing manufacturing costs... i dont know if this is the case though

My suggestion is to buy the most cheapest because is a part that wears out anyway... if you use it to read lot of discs it will "die" again anyway, is normal so dont invest much money in it

n00b likes this.