PS3 CECHA00 60gb PS3 Shuts off in only one game, YLOD style.

Discussion in 'Hardware Mods' started by SeanRanklin, Sep 26, 2018.

1. 2,659
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    For someone who say's they a soldering noob that is quite neat tidy.

2. 15
    axebarauna

axebarauna Forum Noob

Thanks, it was second time in my life I've used soldering iron. Btw, I've put capacitors downside up, to prevent shortcut with motherboard, but now I see that 100% caused shortcut with metal shield. I need to add some insulating tape on it

3. 15
    axebarauna

axebarauna Forum Noob

Thank you all for your help. My ps3 is broken. Probably that shortcut caused by metal plate damaged something else, and my console won't boot up at all. I've tried without metal shield, tried insulation tape, even unsoldered all capacitors that soldered yesterday. Still won't start, ylod. I'm angry that I didn't insulated that's capacitors before assembling, because it was worked fine, so my solder job was did right. Maybe I will buy new ps3 in the future, because I don't have time and patience to this one. Thanks

4. 569
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

5. 5,782
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

@axebarauna no more news after your last post here ?

In the photo you posted you was missing one of the tokins groups, you did 3 but are 4
    I guessed the 4th (missing) is because the capacitance you meassured in them was correct ?

I think at this point you should check all them again
    And check if the tokins are in shorcut, maybe one of them said "good bye" when the PS3 booted

Also, check the inner side of the metal shields if you can see some mark of an "spark"

Edit:
    I moved this thread to the "hardware" subforum

DeViL303 likes this.
  6. 15
    axebarauna

axebarauna Forum Noob

I don't know how to check capacitance when ps3 is off. It powering on for to short time for me to check. Yes, every measurement was correct when checked last time before assembling. I think about rip them off motherboard and replace every NEC tokin with tantalum caps, I saw it on YouTube on Toshiba laptops. But i think it could be quite hard to do. And I checked metal, there is no sign of shortcut. Everything looks ok for me, no black marks on motherboard or metal shield

7. 5,782
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

But do you have more of the tantalum caps ?
    The first thng i would do is to add the missing tantalums, in the 2 tokins at bottom-left corner in your photo

And well, incase it doesnt works maybe is a good moment to try to remove the tokins
    The problem is there is lot of metal to heat, im thinking in a way to remove them easilly (incase it works, i never tryed it or watchet other people doing it)
    The idea is to touch with the solder iron on top, in the center of the tokin and add some tin to help in transfering the heat to he center of the tokin, and keep the solder iron like that for a long time (near 1 minute ?)

Not sure if that is going to be enought heat to melt everything under it... and yeah by doing this the tokin is going to break internally, and maybe externally too, if it breaks externally is better because you can add tin after removing some material

But dont apply any force, keep in mind the motherboard fiberglass is going to be very hot and some internal copper trace could break if it deforms
    Use a block of rubber or something like that under the motherboard to avoid the bending

8. 15
    axebarauna

axebarauna Forum Noob

For now I don't have tantalum capacitors. I know I must heat them up, but didn't thought about solder iron. It could be easier than using heat gun. I will try in some time, probably in two weeks, because I have to much work this week. Thanks for suggestions

9. 28
    shinichi999

shinichi999 Member

I was really afraid of playing Gran Turismo 6 on my FAT PS3 after reading about all the issues posted here, but after playing the game for around 40 minutes (the tutorial and the first 3 races) I can say that... I didn't have any problem!

I'm using CFW Rebug 4.82 and I didn't install any of the available updates for the game, so I just played the videogame directly.

I have a FAT PS3 of 60 GB (CECHA01), now with a 500 GB HDD since 1 year and I haven't had any problem with the console. Everything works always flawlessly!

But it is necessary to take into account some modifications made to the console:
    • Fan Mod (cut hole), (approximately 5-10 degrees C cooler than others)
    • 19-blade fan
    • APS-226 Power supply
    • Four rubber door stopper bumpers stuck under the console to raise it a bit.
    I was checking the temperatures while playing and the maximum was 58 degrees C for both CPU and RSX with the fan at 29% of speed.

I really hope this information can be useful for people who are having problems. I haven't done any other modification than the ones posted here.

If you have any questions regarding my configuration or modifications please let me know!

10. 86
    Fanhais

Fanhais Member

some ps3 go down with the last of us and GT6 but some other don´t
    i tried gt in three 60gb consoles Semi-BC and all them work well with GT6 but i don't know when i play the last of us in downtown area the game bugged lol with rebug CFW

11. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

can you please elaborate on this?what mod did you exactly do?

12. 28
    shinichi999

shinichi999 Member

I didn't. I bought the modded console on ebay. Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

I hope this helps to explain it better :)

DeViL303 likes this.
  13. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

and you're absolutely sure that shaves off 5-10c?

14. 28
    shinichi999

shinichi999 Member

Well.. that was in the description of the article... and since I haven't had any problem with the PS3, I fully trust on the seller. He really knows what he's doing. And as I said, the PS3 runs very quietly and it is always below 60 degrees C with no more than a 29% of the fan speed while playing (even with Gran Turismo 6, which is a very demanding game), so I'm very pleased with the mod! :chuncky:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    kadorna2 and DeViL303 like this.
  15. 569
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

that looks clean as hell and those temps are beyond great even for a slim, let alone a CECHA. congrats and for the love of god treat it as if it was your grandma

shinichi999 likes this.
  16. 28
    shinichi999

shinichi999 Member

Thanks, I'm really happy with the console and I'm really taking care of it! :biggrin:

I have interesting news. I played Tekken Tag 2 for around 40 minutes and I didn't have any problem. The same with The last of us... so my console is kind of special?

Again, I didn't install any of the available updates and I just played the games directly.

What are the other games with problems? Could someone give me a list so I can test them?

17. 54
    Gabriel2Silva

Gabriel2Silva Forum Noob

Don't know if it is still useful, also don't want to necro a post, but I also have a first gen fat console and it crashes with TLOU and God of War III. There's another game you can test.

18. 1
    fRustra

fRustra Forum Noob

:bonesrock: i just got the first fat 20gb with cardreaders and ylod ....
    hope i can get her back to life

19. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

replace caps first to tantalum ones.any semi decent repair guy can do it quickly and cheaply.do not reball or bake it in the oven. :)

20. 8
    JOJOBA

JOJOBA Forum Noob

Do the Voltage and resistance of the tantalum capacitor matter?