PS3 CECHA00 60gb PS3 Shuts off in only one game, YLOD style.

Discussion in 'Hardware Mods' started by SeanRanklin, Sep 26, 2018.

1. 123
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

I can assure you the condition of the disc is 100%, lol. I take very good care of my discs and gaming equipment because I am a very fussy person. The only game I own with marks on the disc is Ridge Racer 7, that is due to buying the game used. The disc also worked fine for 5+ years of weekly use in my launch cech 2002a with no problems.

2. 4,996
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

If you dont verify the IRD you are doing speculations based on smoke

bguerville likes this.
  3. 123
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Isnt the purpose of verifying the iRD to make sure all game files on the disc are accurate and not corrupt? If they are corrupt, how can both games cause the same issue being that they run off completely different discs. (Tekken Tag 2) (Tekken Hybrid) Besides, they work find on all other consoles.

I'm leaning towards the PSU or TOKIN's but since I cant fix the TOKINS, im going to try another PSU. If no luck, well, it will have to stay that way. I just finished up playing over 30 different PS2/3 games on this machine and it works like a charm.

4. 4,996
    sandungas

@SeanRanklin I mentioned it because is one of the first things needed to do when a game doesnt works. And because this is something we should be talking about in the first pages in the thread before even thinking if there is a hardware problem

First step is to check the game files with the IRD
    Second step is to check the files generated by the game (gamedata, savedata, trophies)... by deleting them and generating new ones
    Also, some games needs to be converted to ISO to work without errors
    Also, the way how backup managers "mounts" games could be different and some mount modes causes problems or there could be incompatibilities
    Next step is to check the hdd either by taking it out to PC to scan it... or by replacing it by a different hdd
    And so on... probably im missing other checks

--------------
    As far i could read you are not doing anything, instead you decided you have a hardware problem and push the talk in that direction, but at this point i have serious doubts if any of what has been mentioned here applyes to your problem

5. 1,363
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Holy [email protected] this thread its still alive? Thats a surprise :D

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

6. 123
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Well, after 3 days spent (not constant) getting the game working via PS3 iso rebuilder, it seems the problem STILL persists with this game. I was already confident that the disc was not the cause, but at least i can say now THAT step has been ruled out completely.

I have been thinking about buying some other games that tend to give the launch PS3's a bit of trouble, such as Uncharted 2 and BLOPS 2. I am going to test these out at the same parts of the game that others tend to have their units shutdown and see if mine replicates the same problem. If so, it is 100% hardware related. Perhaps a bad Tokin as suggested above. However, if these games work fine, we'll i'm just going to accept that my PS3 just hates Tekken Tag 2 for reasons unknown :(

Yup, still struggling with a console that refuses to play Tekken Tag 2 without spitting the dummy. ;)

7. 4,996
    sandungas

Not really, you have not checked the IRD, and i mentioned several things, not only one

8. 209
    Vishera

Vishera Member

I have done some research and...
    It happens to a lot of people with TTT2,even to people with slim consoles,all of them are fine hardware wise but have this odd issue with the game.
    Read this: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/652997-tekken-tag-tournament-2/64301037?page=2
    TTT2 works perfectly fine for me with my launch model console,
    But it happens to me in GT5...
    I suspect it's a bug.
    All those systems are healthy despite it happening in TTT2.
    And sony hid it under the rug...
    If it happens in games that are widely known to sudden shutdown the system,then it's probably a bug and your console is fine hardware wise.

sandungas likes this.
  9. 123
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Yes, i've done everything you mentioned, no change.

Yeah, this is what i stumbled upon on certain sites including GameFAQs where one game wouldn't work, but everything else did. The concerning part to this is that i was able to successfully get in contact with two people, one who had the issue with BLOPS2 and another with Tekken Tag 2 like myself. They both told me this issue persisted for a few months until it started happening for other games as well, until it developed the classic YLOD problem and wouldn't turn on. One guy also told me he took a hair dryer to the PS3 that was shutting off during tekken and this actually made the problem go away for a few weeks, which leads me to believe, this actually IS a form of true YLOD that i'm experiencing, but in its infant/less severe state.

Kind of disheartening news actually. I have thought about replacing the power supply incase on an off chance, it is responsible, but i'm doubtful. Apparently my model can take the following PSU models: ZSSR5391A, APS-226, and APS-231. Do you know which one would be the best to use in my console? This will be the last thing i test before i can confidently dismiss as a very early form of YLOD (the beginning of the end of my console)

The thing that annoys me the most is that there is still no permanent solution on how to rectify this problem with the PS3's. Everything appears to be temporary fix. How can we be 13 years on since these units first launched and still no one has developed a permanent remedy to this problem?

10. 209
    Vishera

Vishera Member

I don't think so,
    I am pretty sure it's a bug,it happens to every launch model even when it was much newer it happened.

And for power supply i would pick up the APS-226

In any case,
    A dead cheap can be replaced,if you know how to solder and reball...

11. 123
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

O
    Okay, I am going to pickup the PSU and test it in my console. Will revert back once this is done.

Wish me luck!!

12. 1,363
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Spoiler alert: It wont change anything, either APS-227 or APS-231 will all behave the same on GT6 or other games you mentioned.

One funny thing i didnt mention, its back in 2012 the PS3 wouldnt freeze with the 2012 GT Academy (basicly GT6 Tech Demo), although i was using a 40Gb at the time, its not far beyond the 60Gbs, as GT6 shows similar behaviour on the 40Gb units.

Ill just leave this here:

13. 123
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

I have read that GT6 is more of a software issue causing the shutdown. GT6 is the most infamous console 'shut-downer' of all the games because of this.

Other games that cause obscure YLOD on these old fats from what I have gathered online are:

Tekken Tag 2
    Tekken Revolution
    Black Ops 2
    Uncharted 2
    Rock band??

14. 1,363
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Hmmmmm...Tekken Revolution never gave any problem though, as for the rest i cant really say, the previous 60Gbs died before i could test these games, that was 2 years ago.

15. 209
    Vishera

Vishera Member

On my 60GB model these games run fine,
    But i am pretty sure a bug is causing most of those "sudden shutdown" cases.

Those games have been tested on DECR (and DEX too?) consoles,Which are a little different than what we have,
    That difference can cause some codes to work great on one system but work poorly on a different system or not work at all.

(They probably tested a bit on CEX consoles too but i don't know how they test their games on CEX systems and if it's good enough.)

16. 70
    Fanhais

Fanhais Member

i had today one ps3 40gb and tried to run gt6 the result was shut down after 3 minutes of play lol and i opened ps3 and start to solder some Tantalus capacitors to see if the problem is software or hardware and for surprise the game didn't crash the system after put Tantalus capacitor so i say if you have an ps3 is shutting down with some games is nec tokin problem for sure because today i had the proof is hardware problem

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  17. 209
    Vishera

Vishera Member

Thank you for testing :D

18. 1,363
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    So ive tested my 60Gb again, and as surprised it YLOD but still turns on, but this time the funny thing its that it only holds up when warm, that might point out the issues to the NEC/Tokin, which have a habit of working when warm.

I only learned that years ago, when my Toshiba laptop started random shutdown, and work only when warmed with a hair dryer (DYI FTW) :D

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

19. 289
    complexusername

complexusername Member

IT Consultant
    I've never had issues with Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on my CECHB01. It's NTSC-J though so i'm not sure if they fixed the issue or if it's non-existant on that particular version. Typically, i'll have two hour gaming sessions on there so I can't comment on extended playtime.

I am running webMAN-MOD with the dynamic fan option which can make the console sound like a commercial jet taking off at certain points on other games.

20. 1,363
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Did you solder directly to the NEC/TOKINs or did you remove them, can you show me a schematic and Tantalum spec you used, my 60Gb shows really unstable use, even as far as turning every 15 min off with stable 50ºs around both chips, i suspect the NEC are fryied :)