CECHB00 - does it supports the wifiboard from CECHA00 ?

Discussion in 'Hardware Mods' started by Estox, Jul 6, 2019.

1. 60
    Estox

Estox Forum Noob

Hey guys,

I like to buy a japanese CECHB00 Ps3 for colelcting purpose (some of you may read my last post about the PSU of this model)

I found out it got no wifi, but on Ps3 DEV Wiki i saw, that the A and B model shares the same Motherboards, so my guess was this early models got this external BT/WiFi boards, so if they share the sam MOBO I souhld be able to just place the WiFi board from another A model and tadaa the B model gots wifi to? is this so easy to do ?

any experience with this? I googled it alot but i guess nobody got this crazy ideas like me xD

2. 5,346
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Wanna-BeTA Tester Moderator

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    I have it done with my system but it's not as easy as just adding the board. You have to populate the hardware on the motherboard and even then the PS3 won't detect the hardware. You have to modify the firmware so it reports back that it's actually a CECHA-01 so the WiFi settings show up under the network. You can either use Rebug Toolbox which this had to be done everytime you reboot or modify the PSID then flash the mod to the system. I did it but I have a hardware flasher so if things went bad I could fix the system by reflashing the system.

Estox likes this.
  3. 4,597
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

That wifi/bt board is the CWI-001
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/CWI-001

There are 2 versions of it with the same serial, (this is weird, sony doesnt uses to do this)
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Talk:SKU_Models

If i remember right... is the same circuit in both CWI-001 models, the difference is one of them have some components "missing"
    Electrically you can use them in a CECHA or CECHB PS3 model because both uses the COK-001 motherboard

But im not sure if the wifi/bt is going to be enabled just by connecting it... there is an area inside flash named EID (the one encrypted using the EID root key) where are stored lot of "flags" and configurations of the machine, a lot of them works like switches that enables or disables components and features

I guess the wifi/bt from that first PS3 fat models with the CWI-001 board could be enabled/disabled by software inside the EID :/
    Not sure if is related with EID though, i just chilling a bit... but i dont remember to read about that frankenstein swap of wifi/bt boards in between CECHA and CECHB

Estox likes this.
  4. 5,346
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:

Even after adding the parts to the motherboard the system doesn't detect the WiFi board. Going to network it only gives the option for LAN. But after changing the EID temporarily in Rebug toolbox going back to system settings and network the WiFi option appears. So what I did was dump my NAND patch the EID to report back as am A-01 and now I have the settings for WiFi upon boot everytime.

Estox and sandungas like this.
  5. 4,597
    sandungas

Ohhh ok, i missed your previous post sorry
    So is enabled with info from EID, and is not a "switch" like i said but a consequence of the 8th byte of the IDPS, i see, thx :)
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Talk:IDPS

Estox and atreyu187 like this.
  6. 60
    Estox

Estox Forum Noob

Mh okay so I guess when I change my IDPS to the A model. (btw. I got the japanese B model) it has temporarily wifi. I got no need to set it permanently, so if I just swap it temporarily with rebug toolbox, there is no risk of brick right? cause I got no NAND flasher only a e3 Nor clip.

I would only need wifi for some times not permanently cause I don't need PSN or online gaming on ps3 anymore, just need it some tiems to load game patches or install new games via FTP.

do you got any tutorial or can say wich portion of the long IDPs I have to change and especially in what term. or is the IDPS per system always a nother and must be generated ?! I have no idea about it, how it works, just knowing it is there ^^

E.X.

if this would be my IDPS of my untouched CFW CECHB (mine is japanese one)

00 00 00 01 00 84 00 02 10 01 15 ED DE D8 06 8B (example from wiki, not my real one ;) )

Wich parameter do I have to change? And is the goal parameter always the same? So I guess the IDPs is like a finger print and unique to every system in some bits, but wich bit do I have to change in what number?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  7. 10,746
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

the 8th byte refers to minverchk. it will change if you use a different model's. you can't make up or change an idps or it will come up as invalid. all idps are in a database that only sony has access to.

8. 60
    Estox

Estox Forum Noob

atreyu187 said he can change the needed bit to the A model to activate wifi. now you said its not possible. But than I ask, how does PSN patch change it when its not possible? know im completly confused xD

9. 10,746
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

you need a valid idps. you can't make one up if that's what you're asking.

10. 7,474
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    PSN patch only spoof IDPS in LV2, to make wifi settings appear you need to flash IDPS much deeper than that.
    But i think you missed most important part. You need to solder additional components to your mainboard to make wifi work. Is not as simple as adding wifi board.

Estox likes this.
  11. 60
    Estox

Estox Forum Noob

The missing wifi is on the daughterboard, there is no need to solder, you can place the board with wifi on it like in the previous postings said in this thread. but you have to change software. okay that I understand.
    atreyu187 say it is possible temporarily with rebug toolbox and swaping the board or make it permanent while using a hardware flasher. now one guy say you can'T patch this, now you say you have to solder. now I got 4 different versions ^^ so what is now true? CECHA and CECHB share the exact same motherboard, only differenz in hardware is the additional daugther board wifi only. A model got bt and wifi on this board. both models A and B conencts it to the same port via flexcable. bur the software of the ps3 does not recognize it, cause the ps3 knows its a b model, so you have to make her believe she is a A model.

atreyu187 said you have to change some bits, temp or permanent, just like you want, so now is my question what do i have to do ecxactly :)

12. 5,346
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    There is components you MUST solder to the board in order for the WiFi to work. It isn't just slipping the adapter into place. There are missing parts not populated on the main board in order for it to work. I paid a professional to install mine as I can't do SMD's or what was missing. The guy used a dead CECHA-01 to get what was missing from the board.

And I changed the IDPS with IDPSet to make it permanent. To do this you must change eight byte of IDPS from 02 to 01 and then update firmware in FSM. This makes it so when you go to the network settings that the system shows the missing WiFi connection settings. Otherwise it will only give you the option for LAN settings and not detect it even when it's done right hardware wise.

sandungas and kozarovv like this.
  13. 7,474
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Estox, sandungas and atreyu187 like this.
  14. 5,346
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    I actually have this mod and @kozarovv is the guy that helped me get it right. I mean feel free to grab the board they are only a few bucks. You will see it doesn't work even after you install the board and change the IDPS. You have to add those parts in order for it to work even after the software change and adding the adapter. @Puffdragon shows the B-01 board and how it's missing the ribbon cable adapter and such. Pics are really nice and it shows the lacking hardware.

Estox likes this.
  15. 60
    Estox

Estox Forum Noob

thx for your answers, now I understand :)

kozarovv likes this.
  16. 5,346
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    TBH I don't use my WiFi I just did it cause a friend was willing to do it. WiFi is just to darn slow and my router is right above my PS3 but it's nice when I walk into he bedroom to play at times. But you can't go wrong with the B-00 models they are by far the best looking PS3's hand down.

Estox likes this.
  17. 60
    Estox

Estox Forum Noob

Yeah the B00 Model looks amazin. For me as a european its totaly new, never knew about it. Just knew the OG 60GB with EE+GS, never knew that there is a "low budget" version of it just lookin so sexy and the one and only with Black BD Drive Cover *.*

Now my Retail PS3 Collection is nearly perfect. B00, C04, L04, Slim 2504A (the last Slim model with emited Powr and eject button, the non hackable Slims are 100% mated looking and got now emited buttons and now WiFi LED, so I choosed this one to collect, for me the nicest slim cause of that) last one mising the super slim, but It's not my fave ^^ only collect it to get my collection complete.

I collect My PlayStation consoles after 2 mayor aspects. Major optical differences from outside and Huge internal Hardware revisions. So From G04 to L04 is not huge for me. I know this model jump makes much much different ex. onboard wifi and BT, other back cover (G model got 2 fan hols at the back, L model just one long) other Fan, much other Motherbaord (for ex NOR vs NAND) and so on, but from the functionality for the enduser it makes no difference.
    both are non BC 80gig models. So I stay with my L to the day my samsung nor failes xD

So this is the point because I see my collection with B00, C04, L04, Slim 2504A last one mising the super slim as completed :) Holy grail for now C04 but it will be the B00 if it arrives from japan. I guess it's also the most rarest retail on, cause of the very short production time. A00 would be nice to but its to familiar with the C Model, expecially from outside. But I have to Own the C Model, only One that is BC with GS only in europe. Europe never got the E00. So the C04 has to be in my collection. to a good compromise between both internals and outside is the B00 so I choosed this one over the A00 :)

Yeah I know im a freak. But I love console collecting xD I guess im the only one collects hardware like this and ALL Consoles got hacked xD (PS4 Is not counting for my collection, its to new, I wait till you get this at a cheap ;) ) Got all my consoles in mint condition used on ebay and never payed more than 150€ CIB (~170$). So I guess its okay to collect all of these :)

Like you see in my signature, I like to collect all Playstation's like these kind of cheme. If you see some revision missing I even dont know feel free to tell me about it ^^ After my Knowlaedge the ps3 got the most hard changed revisions in PS Life Time besides the PSP.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 9:34 AM
  18. 5,346
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    I get it I have three PS3's and multiple other Sony systems.

19. 4,597
    sandungas

@Estox if you want to get a PS3 superslim for collection urposes, i suggest you to try to find a CECH-42xx or newer because it was a mayor revision, look at the motherboard photos, in CECH-42xx they reduced the size of CELL
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Motherboard_Revisions#PQX-001

Not sure how much they reduced it but looks like 35nm or 40nm, there is not much info in internet about the components of superslims though, so this is all i know
    In my oppinion the last superslim CECH-43xx is an important member of the PS3 familly, i dont know the details (sony sometimes goes insane reducing costs and maybe they did some mistake, im not sure)... but in general... im sure the CECH-43xx have the lowest power requirements, lower temperatures, lower noise levels, etc...
    In other words... is like the ending chapter of the long story of how the engineers was trying to make it more efficient

Actually, i think is a good idea to take one of that motherboards and build a "custom" case for it, with a PC heatsink and fan.... and it should have veeeeeeeery low temperatures and noise level

*Another thing you can buy for your collection is a superslim with eMMC flash. There is a CECH-43xx with eMMC :D