Cfw rebug Rex 4.84 and PS3 game backups

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by Xinger, Apr 16, 2019.

1. 27
    Xinger

Xinger Forum Noob

Hi guys looking for some help on backing up games to my PS3 HD. I’ve been reading for days now and I’m a little confused to say the least.
    I’ve also watched some vid tuts as well which were quite informative but with this cfw 4.84 rebug Rex I’m not sure if some of these xploits are superseded or not.

1. Keep in mind that “yes I am a noob”
    2. Do I still need to install Han xploits?
    3. Does rebug need some manipulation first to run
    These xploits?
    4. I have rebug toolbox installed and multi man but
    nothing else
    5. I did make secondary account for Han
    Purposes, what do I need to do before logging to
    PSN or ps store?

2. 992
    umart666

umart666 Member

1. han is exploit intended ONLY for people that can't install cfw.
    2. you're on cfw already
    3. once on cfw you NEVER have to go back to ofw,hfw or han,for any reason whatsoever
    4. you can flash same or higher generation of cfw (for example - if you're on 4.81 cfw you can flash any 4.81 cfw (rebug,rogero,ferrox...) or higher like latest 4.84.2 rebug rex
    5. going back from 4.84 cfw to earlier cfw is doable but is somewhat more involved than simply flashing and you can learn how on this forum and doesn't involve flashing ofw or hfw,but there's little reason to,everything typically wanted from cfw can be done on latest cfw.

by your post i deduce that you're interested in HAN because of online play,that also can be done on cfw but you should be warned that any hacked/jailbroken ps3 is at risk of banning from PSN.there are ways to minimize risk of getting banned but until you've done proper research on how to you should stay away from PSN.

also,folks at Sony still keep track of modified consoles on couple of more popular titles like GTAV and COD and by simply playing them even with legit game can and will get you banned.modding and cheating will most certainly get you banned.there's also ways to spoof your console's ID so even if you get banned you can simply get another one but ID's doesn't grow on trees,they are from legit systems and more often will cost you money and that's generally looked down upon here.

Xinger likes this.
  3. 27
    Xinger

Xinger Forum Noob

That clarifys a lot... Thanks for the response!
    Actually I havnt gamed online for years now, I’m on satellite internet.... not desirable for gaming.
    I am more interested in backing up my games and playing them from external HD(ir internal)if possible?
    Are there any guides/links (still relevant) on here that explains how to do this with the cfw that I am using? Everything I seem to see/read involves using Han to do this.
    It’s hard to know what info to follow as links/threads created even 6 months/weeks ago are now no longer relevant. A lot still are but , which ones right?
    A little direction would be much appreciated!

4. 992
    umart666

umart666 Member

1. cleanly flash and restore latest rebug rex.
    2. get a cat5e ot cat6 LAN cable and connect it to ps3 on the same router as your PC is (if it's a laptop try to connect it also with a LAN cable but wireless on a laptop and ps3 on a cable can be decent).
    3. install rebug toolbox from package manager
    4. go to it,ensure that cobra is enabled.go to sytem info,write your ps3 ip adress down
    5. get latest webman mod,install it on the ps3 and then install full version (hold down L1 while clicking on the installer).reboot ps3.
    6. don't freak out if your ps3 is loud,that's webman mod's default fan setting,if that's bothering you you can go to the webman settings and try to control it,but remember anything bigger than 68c on the RSX is killing your console.

7.if you're using your ps3 to rip the games:

install irisman,go to it and from there rip the disc to internal drive.use filezilla portable or similar app to connect pc to your ps3 and backup iso's to the pc.

if you're using your PC to rip the discs (khm khm):

get rudi rastelli's PS3 ISO TOOLS v2.22 with pached makeps3iso from irisman to rip the discs.use fillezila portable to connect ps3 to your pc and transfer iso's to internal hdd.

if you've connected ps3 and pc to a same router with cat5e or better LAN cable in fillezila you should be getting about 20 mb/s when copying to ps3 and about 35 when copying from ps3 to pc.i know this is rather slow for today's standards but that's the reality of mid 00's networking on ps3.if you're using pc wlan you can be close to it but expect inferior results.

don't use ps3 wlan for big transfers.it's mid 00's wlan,it's atrocious and nothing can be done about it.use it only for game patches,subtitles in movian,yt and smaller video files.

8. for the internal or external drive iso's should be in PS3ISO folder for ps3 iso's,PS2ISO for ps2,PSXISO folder for ps1 (try to use bin/cue and cdda formats for ps1 games).

ps3 iso's and ps1 backups can be on the first partition of the external ntfs drives.any usb drive must be MBR formatted for ps3 to see it.PSP and PS2 games work only on internal hdd,i think PSP games can be on fat32 usb external drive also but how's that practical is beyond me.webman mod supports nfts external drives out of the box.

9. once you've done ripping and transferring backups and games go to webman setup,refresh xml,reboot and webman will organize them to respective folders.click,mount and you should be set.

other useful apps for ps3 on top of my head that you should check up are - movian for video playback and streaming (use deank patched 404 cex version for maximum stability), managunZ (backup and game launcher,useful for configuring ps2 games,widescreen patches for them etc) and there's large collection of apps that are patched for noPSN (youtube,netflix,hulu,yt...)

that's on top of my head,i'm sure i've made some mistakes but somebody will correct me,this is just to give you general idea and guidance to start,and this is just my personal opinion and experience,in no way i'm expert in the field,so take everything you read that is not from devs themselves with a grain of salt.

use this forum to research anything regarding ps3 and software i've mentioned and enjoy.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Xinger likes this.
  5. 27
    Xinger

Xinger Forum Noob

That’s a great write up!
    Exactly what I was looking for.
    I only installed cfw a couple of days ago, do I still restore?
    Do I need to partition my external?
    Thanks again!

6. 92
    fkd

fkd Member

Just for you to know in case you didn't, you can install HAN on CFW being on the latest Rebug CFW (never did it, but I know people who did it).

7. 992
    umart666

umart666 Member

if you don't have any problems and everything works great then you can skip whole flashing and restoring part,that i wrote just as a precaution and for somebody that's just starting up.i personally always start clean when i get a new console,just to be certain that's everything clean for me to start up building and configuring.if your ps3 is empty and/or when you get everything is backed up (you should always backup,backups are awesome trust me) there's no reason no to clean your system and familiarize yourself with flashing and restoring process.

about formatting your external drive,yes you should check it if it's in MBR.great GUI tool formatting in windows is minitool's partition wizard,and it has free version.although you can almost everytime convert a GPT to a MBR and any partition to another without data loss,there's always a risk when doing it and you should always backup before doing anything major to a drive.

but if it works,ps3 is seeing it and sees backups,you can skip that part and just use it as is.

why would you do that?what's the benefits,other than just be able to do it?that's just adding to the confusion,as you can see from the OP.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  8. 725
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

This involves toggling the QA flag, which is done quite simply. Either with Rebug Toolbox which @Xinger is already on, or there is a standalone QA toggle application for other CFW.
    This is correct. There is no 100% guaranteed way to be safe online; there is always the risk of a ban. However, by clearing history and CFW syscalls (temporarily disabling CFW functions within the firmware) it will mitigate the chances of a ban. For this I use PSNpatch or webMAN MOD's L2+Triangle button combo (but perform the same operation). There is also SEN Enabler, which again can perform the same but it's recommended to pick one and not recommended to use PSNpatch and SEN Enabler at the same time.
    In terms of safety; if you behave online as if you were not using any CFW - no modding online where it's obvious you're using a hacked console or other flagrant abuse of SEN, and I'd tentatively say you stand a good chance of not being banned. Then again, there's no guarantee either way.
    It's up to you, but I have mine partitioned as it's convenient: one FAT32 and one NTFS. NTFS partition I use for PS3 ISO backups which are over 4GB in size, eliminating the need to split the ISO before playing (which is possible with multiMAN, possibly other homebrew as well). As @umart666 says though, make sure the drive is partitioned as MBR and not GPT as the PS3 will not read the latter.

There is absolutely no reason to install HAN; you are already running CFW which is superior in every way. Hope this helps.

9. 27
    Xinger

Xinger Forum Noob

Thanks guys, I'm slowly getting a handle on this stuff...:pride:..
    So do i have to manually put the iso's in these folders or is this just for reference to make sure files are where they need to be?

10. 725
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Yes, PS3 games in ISO format must be in a folder on the root of the internal drive (dev_hdd0/PS3ISO) or external drive (e.g. dev_usb000/PS3ISO). PS2 ISOs must be in dev_hdd0/PS2ISO and PS1 ISOs (or BIN+CUE files, depending on how the discs are ripped) can be in either dev_hdd0/PSXISO or on an external USB drive like PS3 ISOs.

For PS3 and PS1 backups you want to play from an external drive; you can transfer them to the correct folders from your PC. For PS2 ISOs, you can either FTP them from your PC to dev_hdd0/PS2ISO or alternatively transfer them from USB to the internal HDD using a file manager - I'd personally recommend ManaGunZ for this. :)

11. 992
    umart666

umart666 Member

as Coldhart said it,ps3 iso's and ps1 backups (cdda or .img+.sub+.ccd format for ps1 games works best for me personally) are better off on a external ntfs drive because you can transfer them at usb 3 speeds and simply plug it in ps3,as opposed to ftp'ing them to internal drive at about 20mbs/s which is max ps3 network speed.

i know it's nitpicking,but i've just transffered my backup of uncharted 3 and i really wish my external hdd drive enclosure didn't die on me recently. :)