PS3 Changing hdd in ps3 slim! On CFW

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by darkvita95, Sep 22, 2017.

1. 4
    darkvita95

darkvita95 Forum Noob

Hey guys!

Noob here ...
    Recently got a ps3 slim which is running CFW 4.81 with Cobra 7.40 ....
    I want to upgrade my internal HDD so please help me !
    I dont care about trophies
    I dont care about save data
    I just want to keep my CFW ....
    Theres mmCM which runs the iso's.
    So please i will really apreciate ur guys help thanks!

2. 4
    darkvita95

darkvita95 Forum Noob

It runs both ps3 and ps2 currently .... an i want to keep it that way so if any extra info about the ps3 firmware is needed i will provide ! Just help mw change the hdd .
    Thanks!

3. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

you can safely replace it. it will require u to reinstall the firmware which is safe. you can install rebug again. if u want to keep your games and whatnot, do a backup and restore which can be found in system settings, I believe, before you replace the hdd. it won't carry over trophies, not sure about saves, but since u don't care about either, u should be good.

darkvita95 likes this.
  4. 4
    darkvita95

darkvita95 Forum Noob

Thanks but
    Can you please confirm whats rebug
    And what firmware do i need to install again
    Like i said am a noo!

5. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

rebug is a cfw version. it generally has the rebug logo/coldboot when u start up the console. I believe ferrox, another cfw, has the ferrox logo. habib, another cfw, has the normal ps3 coldboot. u probably have one of those three cfws installed. rebug is for advanced users while the other two are close to stock. all three have cobra. the system will only ask that u install firmware 4.81 or higher, so u should be able to install any of those three.

darkvita95 likes this.
  6. 7,903
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Rebug is the most fully featured CFW available.
    Check rebug.me website for extensive details.

If you remove your hdd & replace it, when you start your ps3 with the new hdd you will be asked to reinstall the CFW.
    You must reinstall the exact same CFW that was installed on your old disk otherwise the installation will fail.
    If you do not know what cfw is installed then I suggest you begin by installing a CFW of your choice with the old hdd still inside the ps3, then replace the hdd & reuse the same cfw that you just installed, to reinstall on the new hdd.
    Installing a CFW lets you keep all your data, games/saves/licenses/profiles.., you don't lose anything.
    However changing hdd will mean losing all the data & starting from scratch. If there is anything you wish to keep, remember to back it up!

If you are noob, I recommend you start with the latest Habib Cobra 4.81 cfw. It's available on this forum, it's a very stable & trustworthy cfw.
    It's also a perfect choice for hdd replacement & cfw reinstall.

Later, when you feel more comfortable with your setup, you can upgrade to Rebug 4.81.2 cfw if you need the extra features.

And remember to check the limitations & best practices when it comes to replacing the hdd. Don't use a disk > 2Tb in fact imo 1Tb is probably best, avoid SSD, no need for sata 600 etc...
    http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Harddrive

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    darkvita95 and pinky like this.
  7. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I wasn't aware that it had to be the same cfw. I assumed the entire firmware would be reinstalled, not just the hdd files.

8. 7,903
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

(psdevwiki quote)

Step-by-step guide

Download the FULL version of FW you currently have on the old harddrive and put it on a USB Mass Storage Device formatted with FAT32 in \PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP

pinky likes this.
  9. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I think the last time I replaced the hdd was on rebug 3.55. I also remember cyberskunk of team rebug testing hdd upgrades on each rebug firmware to make sure nothing was ever broken. I'm thinking back to the spoofing tutorial. afaik, u can't add anything to the update section to signify which cfw ur on or u'll mess up the vsh.self. to differentiate, each cfw dev has added their own cfw signature to the version.txt which is on the root of the update pup (not a part of the update that gets installed). this is what's displayed whenever ur about to install cfw. ofw only has the version (i.e. 4.81) while the rebug might have rebug 4.81 rex in the version.txt/display. normally, this should prevent an accidental update of ofw. rebug went one step further by eliminating installs from discs by using the following location: not/update/ps3updat.pup. I found the location in hex a while back, so instead of ps3, they placed the word not to prevent official updates in the recovery menu - emer_init.self. I don't think it's in the xmb - software_updater.sprx.

edit: the reason is that the system uses a hierarchy with the disc being the first place checked for firmware.

10. 7,903
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

I cannot remember the exact details so I could be wrong (someone correct me if I am) but I think emer_init.self might be comparing the checksum of the PUP against the checksum stored in syscon during previous fw installation.

pinky likes this.
  11. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I dunno. I never heard that before. it would make sense though as to y it has to be the same cfw even if the same update version.

12. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

btw, there's a second version.txt in the system firmware. it's in the etc folder. it's the information displayed in that hidden menu while in system settings. I have a tutorial on opening this menu. I wonder if differentiating firmwares can be done in there since it's just a txt file.

edit: I should say dev_blind/vsh/etc since there appear to be several etc folders. :-p

13. 4
    darkvita95

darkvita95 Forum Noob

Thanks alot man so
    what i hav to do is INSTALL CFW of my choice
    (probably habib)
    Change HDD then INSTALL the same CFW again when it asks for update .
    SO i am guessing the jailbreak isnt in the internal hdd its in the ps3 right????
    One last thing if i take backup in ps3 using the official backup system will it transfer the cfw apps like ps2 emu etc etc .

14. 13,027
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

it won't affect the ps2 emulator. I think the core os is stored on the flash while modules r store on the hdd. u need to reinstall firmware since ur on a slim. afaik, u wouldn't need to on a phat. the phat has 256MBs of memory while the slim has 16MBs, so some files have to be stored on the hdd.

bitsbubba likes this.
  15. 7,903
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Wiping/Reformatting the hdd will not make you lose your jailbreak. No worries.
    But remember to remove any game disc from the Bluray drive when you install/reinstall/update the fw.

I would not bother trying to backup cfw homebrew apps that can easily be reinstalled. The ps2emu is part of the cfw/Cobra so it doesn't need to be backed up & restored.
    Use the resources section or store.brewology.com to get the pkg you need.