PS3 Classic PS3 RetroArch Standalone PKG Installs

Discussion in 'RetroArch' started by XiC, Jan 23, 2020.

1. 8
    XiC

XiC Forum Noob

Remember the classics? Big thx to LoboGuara for composing these threads for years.

RetroArch 0.9.8.4 Stand Alone Cores

Final Burn Alpha
    MEGA

FECUMM
    MEGA

Gambattle
    MEGA

Genesis Plus GX
    MEGA

iMame4All
    MEGA

Neo Geo Pocket/Color
    MEGA

Nestopia
    MEGA

PC-Engine FAST
    MEGA

PrBoom
    MEGA

SNES9X Next
    MEGA

TyrQuake
    MEGA

VBA Next
    MEGA

Virtual Boy
    MEGA

WonderSwan
    MEGA

RetroArch 0.9.9.9 Stand Alone Cores

Final Burn Alpha
    MEGA

FCEUMM
    MEGA

Gambattle
    MEGA

Genesis Plus GX
    MEGA

MAME 0.78
    MEGA

Neo Geo Pocket/Color
    MEGA

Nestopia
    MEGA

NX-Engine
    MEGA

PC-Engine
    MEGA

PrBoom
    MEGA

QuickNES
    MEGA

SNES9X Next
    MEGA

TyrQuake
    MEGA

VBA Next
    MEGA

Virtual Boy
    MEGA

WonderSwan
    MEGA

Johnnie, aldostools and Louis Garry like this.
  2. 8
    XiC

XiC Forum Noob

Here are some of the other standalone emulator installs, before most of them got incorporated to RetroArch.

Atari 2600
    MEGA

Commodore 64
    MEGA

Commodore Amiga
    MEGA

DOSBOX
    MEGA

FCEU
    MEGA

FCEU-NEXT
    MEGA

Final Burn Alpha
    MEGA

ZX Spectrum
    MEGA

Game Boy Advance
    MEGA

Game Boy Color
    MEGA

Genesis Plus GX
    MEGA

iMame4All
    MEGA

MAME 0.78
    MEGA

MAME 0.142
    MEGA

Mednafen
    MEGA

Scummvm
    MEGA

SNES9X
    MEGA

WinDOS
    MEGA

aldostools likes this.
  3. 9,300
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Thanks for the post. : LoboGuara (deserves alot credit) but haha he got the standalone idea from me, which i got the idea from Squarepusher (so not original by me (or he could of got it from him as well) , i was just first to follow his advice). When RetroArch first launched some people complained of the multi-system emulator and wish to have cores as individual emulators. So if you pack each release with a single core remove files pertaining to other cores and such and give its a unique contentID ect.. You can pack them into standalone even for the newer versions. I think Lobo's had some of his own (XMB) art included in his (so they will differ from the ones below in the vid). Here was a look at some of my original ones (art not done by me,) But here is the idea behind the standalone's:

The same could actually be done for the PS4 version as well & i suppose the vita also
    Those are just standalone emulators and not all are in retroarch some of the emulators in the 2nd post do not have supporting libretro cores (for the PS3).

Ones below would not be in RetroArch or would be a different version of mame.

Commodore 64
    MEGA

Commodore Amiga
    MEGA

DOSBOX
    MEGA

ZX Spectrum
    MEGA

iMame4All (i believe is based on 0.125, could be wrong. but not in RetroArch PS3)
    MEGA

MAME 0.142 (different version then whats included for PS3 RetroArch)
    MEGA

Mednafen (Many of these cores are included but this is the multi-system PS3 port)
    MEGA

Scummvm
    MEGA

WinDOS
    MEGA

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    aldostools, Algol and XiC like this.
  4. 8
    XiC

XiC Forum Noob

Thank you for the idea :)

Had them laying around and his links had gone dark years ago. With all the new HFW/CFW users, these could be useful. Especially for the noobs. Also, these are ideal for the younglings as explaining to a 9 year old how to update his cores always proves futile.

I saw the current RetroArch compatibility thread, great work being carried on there. If there are any new and interesting updates to the PS3 libreto cores we should make a 1.8.4 standalone core project revival. Otherwise the stability in 0.9.8.4 all the way to 1.0.0.2 is where we are currently at in these legacy emulators. I got their blessing on the RA discord.

aldostools likes this.
  5. 9,300
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Problem with current PS3 builds (though i have not tried the very latest)

They include many cores that do not work on the PS3. (so working standalone could help or even a proper repack of the main is good/.) Seems they rather repeat mistakes for a couple years now rather then just taking a moment to either listen to people who use or take the time to use it themselves before releasing. They want to brag and show off how many platforms it can run on. Create instruction video how to install it on the PS3, but yet wont actually take the proper development time to properly bundle the release.The issue is how they are bundling it and what they are including for the PS3 which causes so many issues. Which Makes it all the more frustrating because its really an EASY EASY EASY fix for most of its issue, It does not work (cores) they simply should be removed, not included with vague instructions and have user spend time and time trying to get something to work that has ZERO chance because it was not properly tested beforehand and after hand for version after to version to see the same no working stuff included..

They have been quick to blame the platform and endian issues when i raise some of these issues and that may be the case to why those cores do not work but ITS HARDLY a proper explanation to why things that do not work continue to be included in builds. Obviously not all cores will work on the PS3 (just like not all cores work on the PSP or PS2 or Vita, they include what does work, but PS3 its a mixed bag of working and no chance of working.) but many libretro cores do work well on the PS3 and again I have not seen other platforms that contain cores for the platform that do not work like the PS3 has done every release since v1.0.0.2

Whoever or however is deciding which cores are included on the PS3..
    NEED TO PAY ATTENTION A BIT MORE<<<< but that has been shouted by me off and on for several years now to no avail (even showed what should be included numerous times). I know there was several developer's who submitted fixes and changes to RetroArch (PS3) but their request were ignored for some reason.. So i really do not know the intentions with @Libretro and the PS3 port. They want developers in communities to lend hands but then they do not want to listen. So some of it is just an excuse or seems that way

There is more version that have been have in all honesty been sloppy repacks then stable working versions on the PS3. Its a great project and alot of great work, so never understand why allowing BAD bundles and packs of the content . i know the team is spread thin but this has been a widely reported issues that has gone on way to long and developer's who have contributed in the past have been brushed off. So i just have to say WTF is going on at times with this project lol.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  6. 173
    JediKnight007

JediKnight007 Member

The only "bad" (unplayable) cores now included in official releases are Cannonball, Fuse, Mu, SquirrelJME, TGB Dual, and Virtual Jaguar (81, too, but that's only available as a nightly). Not bad considering 40+ other cores work. Still, just because a core compiles doesn't make it release-worthy, especially in "stable" releases.

7. 9,300
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Only? Please show me another RetroArch platform with that many non working cores included (if any), Then included for how many years and also seen How many complaints & reports and also even code submissions from other devs, where other devs have said they been ignored and gave up ( @Zar comes to mind as one dev who was ignored if memory serves me right ) ?

That's alot of headaches listed there to be quite honest. Also not like they say its working or not working. (obviously if included should work)

Yes there is alot of working cores, but way TOO MANY non working ones (included).
    But its not just the cores its options as well that should be removed on the PS3 version, because the only thing they are good for is freezing your console.

I know i have made reports on some of those issues on github.. Even was responded to saying why its not working, but when i say remove the option then all goes quiet and the issue is never fixed or addressed..

does take some effort and for whatever reason they do not want to put in the effort for the port Now i understand the PS3 is not the premium platform for the project any more, but ffs they have dropped the ball and it went through the floor and punch a hole in the basement floor.

Like you said STABLE version are hardly that..

No doubt i have played as many roms on retroarch as the homebrew has made me have to Power off my console due to the homebrew freezing. Due to improper packaging of the build. Very annoying to say the least.

Sometimes i wonder what the homebrew actually is, a Multi-System emulator or a solid Black ScreenScreen Saver .

Every since the XMB view (which i like) the project went to crap on the PS3. After v1.0.0.X we did not see the PS3 version until somewhere around 1.3x and its never been right since. Now i will say it is better nowadays (overall the UI is much more stable) then when it came back but its never been right, still many options. Now its just a matter of packing it right and axing out a few options. For the devs there SHOULD BE AN EASY TASK.... Remove cores, remove some code that displays a few options... Now you have a stable PS3 build. Why would you want this black eye on the project when it does not have to be there?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Zar likes this.
  8. 9,300
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

https://github.com/libretro/libretro-super/issues/802

Ignored (still some of those non working cores included)

https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/6693
    (LOL i love squarepusher (big fan of his work) but come the hell on.....
    This is hardly a valid workaround.... Yea, so one person or anyone reading that issue may know.
    But actually to get to some working ones you have to move past it.
    I think this sums up the frustration i have with this project.
    (last checked this was still an issue, kind of a serious issue. but who cares if your console freezes just because your scrolling an option. Ohh hope you did not change and mess with a bunch of settings because it will not save to the retroarch.cfg file as by default it does it when you exit the app (quitting from app itself)

Now fast forward to 2020 (see why i have a bit of anger lol)

They are well aware of the longstanding issues. I have told them in the past and even last month (maybe not the best day on the x-mas but i get tired of them bragging about a project that they ignore on some platforms. )
    https://twitter.com/PSXPlace/status/1209853513142087680

Not RetroArch fault?

• PS3 is bundled with XXX cores
    • PSP is bundled with XXX cores
    • PS2 is bundled with XXX cores
    • Vita is bundled with XXX Cores

Now all these platforms are packed with different number of cores. So why is including bad cores (that do not work on the platform) on the PS3 not retroarch fault?
    That argument would ONLY be valid if every platform had the same cores included, but that is not the case each core has included cores that are compatible for that platform.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  9. 173
    JediKnight007

JediKnight007 Member

About the freezing (LOL, Black Screen Screen Saver)...yeah, I've froze the PS3 more than once scrolling through options, sometimes accidentally (Video menu is the worse culprit). It should be easy to filter out unnecessary options, but if they won't do it, what are you going to do? I would imagine that PS2/PS4/PSP/Vita/Gamecube/Wii/WiiU/Switch/Xbox 1/Xbox360 etc. users have the same problem, at least we're not alone. I guess the only solution is to not mess around with options that sound "scary" (and keep a working, good backup of retroarch.cfg handy).

The problem I have is the freezing with the games, I am getting tired of MAME crashing every other game (not an exaggeration) I test. Granted, cores based on arcade systems and computers are more complex than ones on consoles; "normal" cores (NES, Genesis, GB, etc.) have always been very stable. (Cap32 was a freeze-fest on its debut, but now it is quite stable, other than the resolution issue.) Problem is, many core devs don't have every RetroArch platform. So if you report "game X crashes on platform Y", they make some code changes, say "test this out for me, because I can't", and even if it works, it could break the game on platform Z. That is, if they answer. Yes, they have real lives, and they do this for free. But still...I suppose one could place bounties on issues, if one has money to burn.

RetroArch's strengths (modularity, portability, multi-platforms) is also its weakness; the "one-size-fits-all", "jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none" approach isn't always the best option, especially with the finicky PS3 hardware.

So what's the solution? Well, on a Wii scene forum, somebody forked MAME 2003 Plus and complied a Wii-optimized core. Nothing stopping that from happening here. But who's going to do that? Who is actively involved with PS3 homebrew development? @CaptainCPS-X was, with his FBA Retro Loader, but he has not been around for a long time (a hurricane devastating your country is more urgent than some video game). Somebody else was trying port RetroArch to PS1IGHT some years back, but that didn't pan out. Maybe if enough people complain something might get done. I distinctly remember Squarepusher saying he didn't care about pretty GUIs (this had to be like 7-8 years ago), but apparently enough people asked/complained about it, and here we have XMB mode. Failing that, we have to cross our fingers and hope problems get fixed, even if by accident.

10. 9,300
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

It should be., also i am sure there would be some devs willing to do it in an unofficial build but devs have done this before and they were ignored. So if the main project is still serving the errors and has a bigger reach then an unofficial build then there is no fixing the whole issue. It will take libretro...

Yea that is what a couple of advance user's has to do, but what about all those noobs. Then alot of those noobs do not even know how to properly power off the console in those sitiuations (maybe they should provide powering off instructions with this port, sounds funny but its actually not off the wall, request which just shows you the attention needed for the main issue at hand. How can you brag about the versatility of the project when its a half attempt on the PS3..

In many ways we are alone, they have Stable ports. (PS4 is not an official port at this time, so we cant compare that to others),
    PSP and PS2 version does not have options that its is not compatibility with.

Which in my opinion of a user, kind of counters what the project is suppose to be all about.
    What is the point of supporting so many platforms if many of them truly are not sup[ported.

The solution is clear as day to me,
    You quit updating all ports in sync. (Especially ones that are deemed troublesome)
    PS3 can be a very stable port needs attention, but once it gets there they need to stop pushing updates for it.
    Also for the cores as well. Only if they been tested then you can promote the next stable release.
    Then you can use the nigthly release for latest project changes/

That is how it should work.

The only thing i can do is turn up the heat and stir the pot :evil witch:To try and get some answer's.
    Which i think at this point its not unreasonable to ask WTF is going on?

Nothing else we can request a new feature..

A counter and leaderboard of how long you last before your console powers off
    -- Damn it, I only lasted two and half minutes... (get your mind out of the gutters)

11. 173
    JediKnight007

JediKnight007 Member

I agree with you, @STLcardsWS, way to go looking out for the noobs. Sometimes I forget that not everybody is a advanced user like you or me. Still, everyone on CFW should have some kind of file manager installed, it makes things a lot easier.

So, what is the proper procedure? I've always just press the power button, have I've been doing it wrong for almost a decade?

12. 6,685
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I guess a solution would be to find someone with some programming skills enought to disable parts of the code, then create an unnofficial uRetroArch

Everytime they releases a new version with something broken, we disable it and move on from there
    At least it could make retroarch more stable, personally i dont use it because im the kind of person if you give me a menu with tenths of options (and im really interested in how it works) im going to try all them several times, also it have tenths of options and i dont want to remember which ones are broken

XiC and JediKnight007 like this.